Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Anthony Black - PG, 6-5, 180 - Coppell, TX (Coppell) - AAU: 3D Empire - Twitter: @AnthonyBlack24_
Offers: Saint Louis, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Old Dominion, North Texas, Texas-Arlington.

Interest: VCU, Butler, Creighton, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas A&M, Colorado, Houston, Temple, Tulsa, SMU, East Carolina, Utah State, Boise State, Loyola-Chicago, Texas-El Paso, Louisiana Tech, Rice, Marshall, Toledo, Milwaukee, IUPUI, Louisiana, Georgia State, Texas State, Georgia Southern, Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State, Incarnate Word, Iona, UC-Riverside, Cal State-Fullerton, North Dakota, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, Liberty, Texas Southern.

Latest News: Black received offers from SLU, Texas, Texas Tech, and TCU. (6/29/20)

Scouting Report: Black is a confident, athletic guard with a great feel for the game. He gets to the rim to score but has nice touch on his jumper from anywhere. He has great handles and vision and finds his teammates everywhere. He's got a smooth game and plays at his own pace. He plays three sports and is also a D-I prospect in football (WR) and track (high jump, triple jump). His father, Terry, played basketball at Baylor.

-SLU was one of several offers over the weekend after he was awesome at an event. When you have a Texas-based player get offered by Texas, TCU, and Texas Tech that same weekend, we seem like the one bound to get lost in the shuffle. He's an unusual recruit because he also has 10+ D-I football offers, about half from power conferences. He said he'd love to play both if a school was willing but hasn't said for sure which sport he'll go with if he only plays one in college. He's a track star, too, in the jump events but won't pursue that after HS. His dad played at Baylor about 20 years ago and he spent the first several years of his life in Germany while he was playing pro, even learning to speak German before English.

-if you don't mind, what was the event and just confirming we had someone attend?

-not to hijack, but saw this on CBSSports about teams not getting results from highly ranked recruiting classes and look who is top of their list....- https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-recruiting-five-programs-struggling-to-capitalize-on-talented-recruits/

Texas

• 2019: 17
  • 2018: 8
  • 2017: 6
  • 2016: 6
  • 2015: 18

AVERAGE: 11

Shaka Smart managed to land the nation's No. 18 class immediately upon taking the job for the 2015-16 season. His recruiting has only picked up since with a run of three straight top-10 classes between 2016 and 2018.

But success has not followed. The Longhorns have only finished with a winning record in Big 12 play once in Smart's five seasons, and that was in his first year. The 2019-20 team salvaged a bad start by winning five of its last six games to re-enter the NCAA Tournament conversation. But the fact remains that Texas has underperformed significantly relative to its talent level over the last five seasons.

Getting basically everyone back from that team and landing five-star prospect Greg Brown in the Class of 2020 will give Smart another great opportunity — and potentially his last chance — to get results on the court that match the program's results in recruiting.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-if you don't mind, what was the event and just confirming we had someone attend?

I believe the event was called the Texas Hoops Great American Shootout. Texas Hoops is a regional Rivals affiliate.

The previous weekend, he played in the Dallas Showtyme Tournament XIV. Dallas Showtyme is an independent AAU program, which I think is the key here. With the big shoe companies cancelling their spring and summer seasons, it's up to independent organizations to decide whether to hold events.

I can't confirm that we had someone in attendance but I'm guessing Stuen was probably there. He started following Black on Twitter, along with Scotty Washington (another recent 2022 offer), Adante Holiman (2022 player, no offer), and a couple AAU people/programs. If he wasn't in person, I'm wondering if these scattered events are allowing coaches to watch online.

Washington showed out at the Fullcourt Press/Pangos Best of SoCal event this past weekend.

Holiman plays for Oklahoma-based Team Griffin, which held a training camp event over the weekend. A lot of AAU teams have done this in recent weeks to get their guys some looks. I'll get a profile up for Holiman soon.

Adante Holiman - PG, 5-8, 160 - McAlester, OK (McAlester) - AAU: Team Griffin (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @TeHoliman
Offers: None.

Interest: Saint Louis, Creighton, Nebraska, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas A&M, Missouri, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, SMU, Tulsa, UNLV, Colorado State, Wyoming, Boise State, San Diego, Valparaiso, Drake, Rice, Texas-San Antonio, Akron, Ball State, Troy, Sam Houston State, UC-San Diego, Denver, Western Illinois, Oral Roberts, New Hampshire, Bryant, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, Howard, North Carolina Central.

Latest News: Holiman has heard from Denver, UTSA, Oral Roberts, Akron, NC Central, New Hampshire, Howard, UNLV, and Colorado State recently. (6/30/20)

Scouting Report: Holiman is a small but natural point guard. He has excellent handles and quickness, beats defenders off the dribble, and finishes at the rim with either hand. He can shoot with range. He makes plays for his teammates and gets after it defensively. He has an incredible work ethic and competitive streak. As a sophomore, he averaged 30 PPG, 4 RPG, 4 APG, and 3 SPG and went 52% from the field and 37% from 3. His father is the head coach for his HS team.

-It's unusual to see a guy with this much interest at all levels and no offers yet. He's a coach's kid, been playing since he was 4, and is in the gym everyday at 5 am. He's in a small town that makes a triangle with Tulsa and OKC and is 90+ minutes from each, so maybe he's a little farther out there than most. But he runs with Team Griffin on the EYBL circuit so he's certainly gotten on a lot of radars that way.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Adante Holiman - PG, 5-8, 160 - McAlester, OK (McAlester) - AAU: Team Griffin (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @TeHoliman
Offers: None.

Interest: Saint Louis, Creighton, Nebraska, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas A&M, Missouri, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, SMU, Tulsa, UNLV, Colorado State, Wyoming, Boise State, San Diego, Valparaiso, Drake, Rice, Texas-San Antonio, Akron, Ball State, Troy, Sam Houston State, UC-San Diego, Denver, Western Illinois, Oral Roberts, New Hampshire, Bryant, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, Howard, North Carolina Central.

Latest News: Holiman has heard from Denver, UTSA, Oral Roberts, Akron, NC Central, New Hampshire, Howard, UNLV, and Colorado State recently. (6/30/20)

Scouting Report: Holiman is a small but natural point guard. He has excellent handles and quickness, beats defenders off the dribble, and finishes at the rim with either hand. He can shoot with range. He makes plays for his teammates and gets after it defensively. He has an incredible work ethic and competitive streak. As a sophomore, he averaged 30 PPG, 4 RPG, 4 APG, and 3 SPG and went 52% from the field and 37% from 3. His father is the head coach for his HS team.

-It's unusual to see a guy with this much interest at all levels and no offers yet. He's a coach's kid, been playing since he was 4, and is in the gym everyday at 5 am. He's in a small town that makes a triangle with Tulsa and OKC and is 90+ minutes from each, so maybe he's a little farther out there than most. But he runs with Team Griffin on the EYBL circuit so he's certainly gotten on a lot of radars that way.

It's a critical time in the young man's recruiting.  This is where college coaches were supposed to find out whether his game held up against upperclassmen on the summer circuit.  As it stands he's a tiny titan lighting it up at a small school in the middle of nowhere.  There are kids from these kinds of backgrounds that have done well at the mid-major level and those who got exposed very quickly.  Still a lot more questions than answers.  

Pistol likes this

On 6/22/2020 at 9:41 AM, TheA_Bomb said:

I agree can't take him for granted.  If we lost this recruiting battle it would be a double whammy undermining Larry's encouragement of other locals to stay in STL.

No it wouldn’t. His son is his own man and can make his own decisions. Alot of pressure to follow a parent.  Different times. Different circumstances. And Larry St came to SLU  as a group with his fellow Eagles and to stay home with his sick/late brother. No doubt Justin Tatum encourages locals to play for SLU even though his son did not choose SLU and no doubt Larry Sr will always encourage locals to stay in STL regardless of what his his son chooses. 

3star_recruit likes this

Avery Brown - PG, 6-3, 175 - Beacon Falls, CT (Northfield Mount Hermon, MA) - AAU: PSA Cardinals (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @_averybrown3
Offers: Saint Louis, Massachusetts, St. John's, Penn State, Penn, Yale, Columbia, Brown, Siena, Fairfield, Holy Cross, Towson, South Dakota, Howard.

Interest: Dayton, Providence, Louisville, Ohio State, Indiana, Kansas State, Georgia, Stanford, Arizona State, California, Connecticut, Tulsa, Rice, Elon, James Madison, Mount St. Mary's, Bryant, Stetson.

Latest News: Brown received offers from SLU and St. John's. (7/1/20)

Scouting Report: Brown is a tough, smart, skilled, do-it-all point guard. He has excellent handles and finishes well with either hand. He scores on all three levels. He's strong, quick, fast in the open court, controls the pace of the game, and handles pressure. He's got great vision and passing ability.

Rowan Brumbaugh - PG, 6-3, 178 - Washington, DC (Northfield Mount Hermon, MA) - AAU: District Basketball Club - Twitter: @BrumbaughRowan
Offers: Saint Louis, Richmond, Brown, Fairfield, Southern Utah, Bryant.

Interest: Davidson, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Louisville, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, West Virginia, Stanford, Air Force, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Penn, Columbia, Middle Tennessee, VMI, Boston, Holy Cross, Lafayette, James Madison, Mount St. Mary's.

Latest News: Brumbaugh received offers from SLU and Brown. (7/1/20)

Scouting Report: Brumbaugh is a combo guard with a broad skill set. He has a quick release on his short and good range. He's smart, has a great feel for the game, sees the floor well, and finds his teammates. He's efficient and plays well in the pick and roll.

-I'll update these with rankings soon because I think Brown is nationally ranked. They're the backcourt for NMH and they both can play lead guard and score.

AGB91 likes this

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

And a PG named Rowan Brumbaugh from the same school. Bios for both coming shortly.

This is the tweet that everyone seems to be using the indicate we offered Brumbaugh:

This tweet is poorly worded / confusing.  Given the accompanying graphic, I'm reading it as though SLU offered Avery Brown and Brown University offered Rowan Brumbaugh separately.  Not that Brown and SLU offered both of them.  I think this is valid because Brumbaugh himself put out a tweet about getting an offer from Brown, but did not put out a tweet about getting an offer from SLU.  Likewise, Avery Brown put out his own tweet about the SLU offer, but has not tweeted about an offer from Brown University.  If you think differently @Pistol, you are the expert so I'll defer to you.

3star_recruit likes this

14 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

This is the tweet that everyone seems to be using the indicate we offered Brumbaugh:

This tweet is poorly worded / confusing.  Given the accompanying graphic, I'm reading it as though SLU offered Avery Brown and Brown University offered Rowan Brumbaugh separately.  Not that Brown and SLU offered both of them.  I think this is valid because Brumbaugh himself put out a tweet about getting an offer from Brown, but did not put out a tweet about getting an offer from SLU.  Likewise, Avery Brown put out his own tweet about the SLU offer, but has not tweeted about an offer from Brown University.  If you think differently @Pistol, you are the expert so I'll defer to you.

I agree, I think the Twitter queries sites have set up are parsing this poorly worded tweet and incorrectly attributing a SLU offer to Brumbaugh.  I understand why Avery Brown would get an offer from us this early as he is the 4th ranked recruit in Massachusetts and the 80th ranked recruit in the country.  But Brumbaugh is the 13th ranked recruit in the state.  He doesn't even have a 247 profile.  It seems highly unlikely that he would get an offer from us at this stage.  Every other out-of-state guy we've offered has been a top 150 recruit.

17 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Verbal Commits says we offered both

Verbal Commits retweeted the NMH tweet I posted with a comment about SLU offering him.  I'm pretty sure they are basing their assertion that we offered Brumbaugh solely on the poorly worded NMH tweet.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

They're just trying to raise the Brumbaugh's  profile. Mention a SLU offer and his ranking automatically goes up. 

HoosierPal and brianstl like this

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Wow, I think you're right. Not just VerbalCommits, but New England Recruiting Report and a New England-based basketball scout also reported it as a SLU offer for Brumbaugh. After seeing three credible sources saying he got one, I didn't even look that closely at the original tweet from NMH. I'll reply to the tweets to clarify and put him on the interest list in the meantime.

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Avery Brown - PG, 6-3, 175 - Beacon Falls, CT (Northfield Mount Hermon, MA) - AAU: PSA Cardinals (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @_averybrown3
Offers: Saint Louis, Massachusetts, St. John's, Penn State, Penn, Yale, Columbia, Brown, Siena, Fairfield, Holy Cross, Towson, South Dakota, Howard.

Interest: Dayton, Providence, Louisville, Ohio State, Indiana, Kansas State, Georgia, Stanford, Arizona State, California, Connecticut, Tulsa, Rice, Elon, James Madison, Mount St. Mary's, Bryant, Stetson.

Latest News: Brown received offers from SLU and St. John's. (7/1/20)

Scouting Report: Brown is a tough, smart, skilled, do-it-all point guard. He has excellent handles and finishes well with either hand. He scores on all three levels. He's strong, quick, fast in the open court, controls the pace of the game, and handles pressure. He's got great vision and passing ability.

Rowan Brumbaugh - PG, 6-3, 178 - Washington, DC (Northfield Mount Hermon, MA) - AAU: District Basketball Club - Twitter: @BrumbaughRowan
Offers: Saint Louis, Richmond, Brown, Fairfield, Southern Utah, Bryant.

Interest: Davidson, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Louisville, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, West Virginia, Stanford, Air Force, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Penn, Columbia, Middle Tennessee, VMI, Boston, Holy Cross, Lafayette, James Madison, Mount St. Mary's.

Latest News: Brumbaugh received offers from SLU and Brown. (7/1/20)

Scouting Report: Brumbaugh is a combo guard with a broad skill set. He has a quick release on his short and good range. He's smart, has a great feel for the game, sees the floor well, and finds his teammates. He's efficient and plays well in the pick and roll.

-I'll update these with rankings soon because I think Brown is nationally ranked. They're the backcourt for NMH and they both can play lead guard and score.

Looks like Ford is already trying to find Yuri's understudy.

Zagsblog post on recent offer Anthony Black. Key part:

Saint Louis: “Coach [Ford] Stuen, he was actually one of the first coaches that reached out to me when they could. We’ve been on the phone multiple times. He’s a good dude. He keeps checking in and said he’s been watching my games.” 

Of the schools that have offered Black, Texas-Arlington and Saint Louis are the only two schools without a football program. 

“I’m looking at the relationships with the coaches,” Black said. “Who are they recruiting in my class with me? Development, when I get there, are they going to be able to develop me and help me become a pro and take my game to the next level.”

Black says that, at the moment, he does not prefer playing one sport over the other and is confident he could play both football and basketball in college. “If the right school gives me the opportunity, then I think I could,” he said. Black also competes in track and field (high jump, triple jump). Black’s father, Terry, was a former basketball standout at Baylor. 

“I want to visit all the Texas schools, like Texas, Texas Tech, probably Baylor too,” Black said. “I’ve been talking with the coaches there. I haven’t really talked to A&M yet, but all the other Texas schools pretty much.” 

Black also broke down his game for ZAGSBLOG: “I like to play good defense, go after rebounds, play in transition and make a play for my teammates,” he said. “In the half court set, I like to go by my defender and see what I can do at the next level, either put it up or kick it out. I like coming off ball screens to shoot and attack.”

Kellen Thames - G, 6-3, 175 - Maryland Heights, MO (Pattonville) - AAU: Brad Beal Elite (Nike EYBL)
Offers: None

Interest: Saint Louis, Missouri.

Latest News: SLU and Mizzou reached out to Thames. (7/2/20)

Scouting Report: Thames is a growing combo guard who thrives in transition. He has a quick first step, gets to the rim through traffic, and finishes. He can also shoot the three but needs to become more consistent with it. He has nice handles and passing ability. He plays with a high motor and is aggressive at both ends. He was Pattonville's leading scorer as a sophomore, averaging 18.5 PPG, 4.0 RPG, 4.5 APG, and 1.6 SPG with a slashline of .459/.298/.696. He is the son of former Mizzou player Kelly Thames.

-A few weeks ago, he said he had some "low major and D-II" schools calling but I'm not sure which ones. Then Mizzou and SLU reached out. He doesn't have a Twitter account as far as I can tell. His dad is about 6-7 or 6-8, so Kellen might still have some growing to do.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Kellen Thames - G, 6-3, 175 - Maryland Heights, MO (Pattonville) - AAU: Brad Beal Elite (Nike EYBL)
Offers: None

Interest: Saint Louis, Missouri.

Latest News: SLU and Mizzou reached out to Thames. (7/2/20)

Scouting Report: Thames is a growing combo guard who thrives in transition. He has a quick first step, gets to the rim through traffic, and finishes. He can also shoot the three but needs to become more consistent with it. He has nice handles and passing ability. He plays with a high motor and is aggressive at both ends. He was Pattonville's leading scorer as a sophomore, averaging 18.5 PPG, 4.0 RPG, 4.5 APG, and 1.6 SPG with a slashline of .459/.298/.696. He is the son of former Mizzou player Kelly Thames.

-A few weeks ago, he said he had some "low major and D-II" schools calling but I'm not sure which ones. Then Mizzou and SLU reached out. He doesn't have a Twitter account as far as I can tell. His dad is about 6-7 or 6-8, so Kellen might still have some growing to do.

Was this guy's father a star at Missouri?  I believe his name was Kelly and he played at Webster Groves.

29 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Was this guy's father a star at Missouri?  I believe his name was Kelly and he played at Webster Groves.

He played at Jennings. Your thinking Johnnie Parker. Thames was on an NBA track but destroyed his knees but was still a good big 8 player. 

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

A lot of Mizzou fans thought Thames would be an NBA player and lead them to glory. They went 14-0 in the Big 8 his freshman year as he averaged 12.2 and 7.1. Then while running during a an offseason workout, he blew out his knee. The next season is when Mizzou lost that heartbreaker in the second round to eventual champ UCLA on Tyus Edney's layup. Thames came back for three more seasons, was incredibly consistent, but never made a big jump in production or made the NBA and most think it's because of his knee. Mizzou made the NIT twice in his last three seasons but never made it back to the NCAA Tournament.

The younger Thames is a guard, whereas his dad was a power forward. Much different game. But if he continues to grow and develop he's a pretty intriguing prospect.