Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

48 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

How many kids actually go to the school their Dad went? 

31 minutes ago, willie said:

This is a point I have made in the past. I think most do not. That said most aren’t season ticket holders. 

26 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Not sure.

Also not sure how many dads openly campaign for friends of the family to attend their alma mater.

I wouldn’t think as much of the connection except that Sr. was open about wanting Tatum to be a Billiken. 
I don’t think he would be pushing Tatum one way and not doing the same for his son.

Jr may not end up a Billiken but you’re crazy if you don’t think the Hughes family is in his ear about attending Saint Louis U.

Make no mistake, I want Larry Jr. to be a Billiken. But it really bothers me when parents are too over-aggressive trying to steer their kids towards certain schools. I’m NOT, AT ALL, suggesting that Larry St is one of those parents. And it certainly seems like Jr. has significant interest in being a Billiken on his own. But just as a general statement, I don’t like when parents get too involved in the whole process. A kid should go where he thinks he will be happiest and most successful. And parents should be ok with that. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Make no mistake, I want Larry Jr. to be a Billiken. But it really bothers me when parents are too over-aggressive trying to steer their kids towards certain schools. I’m NOT, AT ALL, suggesting that Larry St is one of those parents. And it certainly seems like Jr. has significant interest in being a Billiken on his own. But just as a general statement, I don’t like when parents get too involved in the whole process. A kid should go where he thinks he will be happiest and most successful. And parents should be ok with that. 

No doubt.

I also think kids should listen to their parents advice and learn from their experiences.

If Sr had great experiences being a Billiken I think he should share that with Jr. 

Ultimately it’s Jrs choice but if Sr feels it’s the best choice for his kids he wouldn’t be doing his job as a parent if he didn’t share his opinion and knowledge of the situation.

BilliesBy40 likes this

3 minutes ago, dlarry said:

No doubt.

I also think kids should listen to their parents advice and learn from their experiences.

If Sr had great experiences being a Billiken I think he should share that with Jr. 

Ultimately it’s Jrs choice but if Sr feels it’s the best choice for his kids he wouldn’t be doing his job as a parent if he didn’t share his opinion and knowledge of the situation.

Oh for sure. And like I said, I’m not suggesting Larry Sr. has anything but his son’s best interests in mind. But you do hear stories of parents being legitimately, visibly disappointed when their son/daughter does the whole “hat ceremony” where they put on a hat to announce their commitment to a school, and one of the parents is furious. It’s 1 thing to tell your kid what a great time you had at a school, or to even give them advice like “Hey, this school already has a senior point guard who lead their team in minutes last year...so you might be riding the bench some your first year.” But Larry Sr. Has been through the process before. He know what it’s like. And I think Larry Sr. will ALWAYS be a Billiken supporter, no matter what Jr. does. That being said, it is pretty encouraging when Jr. publicly says things like “SLU will always be top-5 for me.” 

I’ll also make a prediction here, and 2 years down the line, if I’m wrong, I will humbly accept being called an idiot by everyone. But I firmly believe that if Larry Jr’s final-5 comes down to Purdue, NC State, Ohio State, Kansas State and SLU, Larry Jr. will end up playing home games at Chaifetz Arena. It’s going to take some serious, contending power programs getting involved, or extenuating circumstances for Larry Jr. not to come to SLU. I honestly believe that we’re in the driver’s seat and another school will have to go above and beyond to change that. I have exactly zero inside info. Just a gut feeling. 

ultimately it should be the student athlete's decision, but i have no problem with mom and/or dad pushing their alma mater.   i pushed hard for my kids to go to slu just like mom and dad.   i even made my daughter come to the slu presidential scholarship weekend, and had she been awarded such, probably would have pushed even harder.   

my son became a billiken and i was very proud of his academic choice, my daughter ended up not getting the presidential scholarship at slu, and only was awarded a partial slu scholarship and then went to a high ranking engineering school in Indiana.   i was very proud of her decision as well and both did fine in life, but i have no regrets for my shameless pushing for both to become billikens.   

my point is, i hope Larry Sr is campaigning for slu real hard for his son.   

14 hours ago, dlarry said:

Not sure.

Also not sure how many dads openly campaign for friends of the family to attend their alma mater.

I wouldn’t think as much of the connection except that Sr. was open about wanting Tatum to be a Billiken. 
I don’t think he would be pushing Tatum one way and not doing the same for his son.

Jr may not end up a Billiken but you’re crazy if you don’t think the Hughes family is in his ear about attending Saint Louis U.

13 hours ago, wgstl said:

That plus a lot of them aren’t raised in that same city too. 

14 hours ago, willie said:

This is a point I have made in the past. I think most do not. That said most aren’t season ticket holders. 

All good points. I wasn't trying to say I didn't think he wouldn't end up at SLU. I was really just wondering if anyone knew of some cases where the son actually followed in the Dad's footsteps. 

11 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

All good points. I wasn't trying to say I didn't think he wouldn't end up at SLU. I was really just wondering if anyone knew of some cases where the son actually followed in the Dad's footsteps. 

luechtefelds

RUBillsFan and slufanskip like this

31 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

The Stocktons at Gonzaga.

The Ewings at G-Town.

But I think you’re right. Their aren’t very many of them.

A few thoughts.

I'm not convinced that Larry, Sr. is that recruiting kids to SLU all that hard.  This is not a knock on him, it's just how most people would be.  When Tatum was being recruited, I think Larry was supportive of SLU recruitment of Jayson, but also telling the young man to go where he thought was the place that was best for him.  I sincerely doubt that Larry was all that disappointed with Jayson picking Duke.  We get all excited, because of what Larry says in interviews, but wouldn't we all play it up a bit about our undying support of the program when a camera is on us just like he did, even if that wasn't exactly the way we were in private.

Probably reading too much into this, but Larry, Jr.'s comment that "SLU will always be in my Top 5" sounded a bit too long term or maybe a better way to say it would be final.  It almost sounds like he's already preparing to say that SLU was always in his top 5 when he picks somewhere else.  It sounds equivalent to "SLU will always be a special place for me" even though I played somewhere else.

Finally, remember that Larry, Sr. would have gone somewhere else had it not been for unexpected circumstances involving the health of his brother.

Not trying to be a downer about this, but I think that we need to realize that we only have a very slight advantage in Larry Jr.'s recruitment due to his family's connection to SLU.  Ford and the staff should take nothing for granted, and we shouldn't blame the staff if Larry Jr. chooses somewhere else.

26 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

A few thoughts.

I'm not convinced that Larry, Sr. is that recruiting kids to SLU all that hard.  This is not a knock on him, it's just how most people would be.  When Tatum was being recruited, I think Larry was supportive of SLU recruitment of Jayson, but also telling the young man to go where he thought was the place that was best for him.  I sincerely doubt that Larry was all that disappointed with Jayson picking Duke.  We get all excited, because of what Larry says in interviews, but wouldn't we all play it up a bit about our undying support of the program when a camera is on us just like he did, even if that wasn't exactly the way we were in private.

Probably reading too much into this, but Larry, Jr.'s comment that "SLU will always be in my Top 5" sounded a bit too long term or maybe a better way to say it would be final.  It almost sounds like he's already preparing to say that SLU was always in his top 5 when he picks somewhere else.  It sounds equivalent to "SLU will always be a special place for me" even though I played somewhere else.

Finally, remember that Larry, Sr. would have gone somewhere else had it not been for unexpected circumstances involving the health of his brother.

Not trying to be a downer about this, but I think that we need to realize that we only have a very slight advantage in Larry Jr.'s recruitment due to his family's connection to SLU.  Ford and the staff should take nothing for granted, and we shouldn't blame the staff if Larry Jr. chooses somewhere else.

1.) Larry is a big-time supporter of the program, both in public and private.

2.) Your interpretation of Jr.'s comment about SLU is possibly the most negative interpretation possible. He's seriously interested in attending SLU.

3.) Sure, Sr. might have attended elsewhere if not for the circumstances, but the reality is he attended SLU and is thankful he did.

4.) The advantage is real, whether it ends up paying off or not. Aside from Sr. playing here, Jr. grew up a Bills fan like many of the high-level local recruits on our current roster. 

cgeldmacher likes this

I have no inside knowledge of FBLHJ’s recruitment, but I guarantee that Ford is going to have to sell him on his fit in the program for him to commit. Thinking otherwise is foolishly optimistic. The family ties are great, don’t get me wrong, but taking things for granted are how local guys go elsewhere. We saw it with Tatum, and I hope we don’t see it again. Hughes would be a tremendous building block, and would be a tremendous complement to the projected roster his Freshman year. 

16 hours ago, slufanskip said:

How many kids actually go to the school their Dad went? 

We actually already had this conversation way back on pages 1 and 2 of this very same thread.  Here is my post on the topic outlining some father-son pairs who went to the same school: 

I actually stupidly missed the Luechtefelds when talking about SLU in my post.  My takeaway remains the same.  It happens sometimes and other times it doesn't.  I don't think the father-son thing is ever the primary reason a recruit chooses or does not chose a certain school.

slufanskip likes this

39 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Bob Ferry was a Bills great but his son chose Duke. I think w/ Legend Jr it will be the attractiveness of other options. If we can make some dance runs, we may be able to even the playing field. 

There seems to be a board consensus that LHJ will have his pick of high major schools.  I'm not convinced of that.  Luke Kasubke was a better player at this point of his high school career and he ended up at KState.  And from what I've seen, Robert Martin will be the dominant player for CBC this year.   If we have a strong season this year and LHJ's best offers are say, Purdue (who just loaded up at shooting guard at 2020 and are in hot pursuit of another in 2021) and Kansas State, I like our chances.

CBFan likes this

55 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

There seems to be a board consensus that LHJ will have his pick of high major schools.  I'm not convinced of that.  Luke Kasubke was a better player at this point of his high school career and he ended up at KState.  And from what I've seen, Robert Martin will be the dominant player for CBC this year.   If we have a strong season this year and LHJ's best offers are say, Purdue (who just loaded up at shooting guard at 2020 and are in hot pursuit of another in 2021) and Kansas State, I like our chances.

Agreed regarding the Kasubke comparison. I will say that given LHJ’s frame, potential versatility and his dad being Hughes, some major programs will be willing to bet on his upside.

23 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

1.) Larry is a big-time supporter of the program, both in public and private.

2.) Your interpretation of Jr.'s comment about SLU is possibly the most negative interpretation possible. He's seriously interested in attending SLU.

3.) Sure, Sr. might have attended elsewhere if not for the circumstances, but the reality is he attended SLU and is thankful he did.

4.) The advantage is real, whether it ends up paying off or not. Aside from Sr. playing here, Jr. grew up a Bills fan like many of the high-level local recruits on our current roster. 

I hope everything that you stated is correct.  If you have better information than me, then I feel better about our chances.

I think I’m putting this in the right thread. I’m tried to send a screenshot, but it said the file was too big. According to his Instagram story, looks like Has is doing some recruiting for us. “SLU fans watch out. lil cuz 6’4 and only 15. @jayki_ng23” on Instagram. I like it.

slufanskip likes this

On 6/16/2020 at 5:01 PM, Pistol said:

Scotty Washington - SG, 6-5, 175 - Bellflower, CA (St. John Bosco) - AAU: California Stars - Twitter: @ScottyWashing12
Offers: TCU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Colorado State, Hofstra, Hawaii, UC-Santa Barbara, UC-Davis, Montana, Southern Utah, Cal State-Bakersfield.

Interest: Saint Louis, Duquesne, George Washington, Georgetown, Creighton, Virginia Tech, Illinois, USC, Arizona State, Oregon State, San Diego State, Nevada, Boise State, Utah State, Air Force, Saint Mary's, Santa Clara, Pepperdine, Portland, San Diego, Princeton, Columbia, Austin Peay, Charlotte, Milwaukee, Louisiana, Towson, UC-Irvine, UC-Riverside, Weber State, Montana State, Grand Canyon, Seattle, California Baptist.

Latest News: Washington heard from SLU and numerous others after the 2022 class could start hearing directly from schools. He received an offer from Hawaii. (6/16/20)

Scouting Report: Washington is a long, skilled guard who scores on all three levels. He has a smooth, controlled game and finds his spots. He was originally a 2021 recruit but reclassified to 2022. He missed most of the 2019-2020 season with a torn labrum and will take a prep year after finishing at St. John Bosco.

Washington now has an offer.

We also offered Anthony Black, a guard out of Texas, in addition to the big man Lual Manyang, as listed two posts ago. I'll work on profiles and do a little research to see if there was more activity over the weekend.

Lual Manyang - C, 6-10, 200 - South Sudan (Blair Academy, NJ) - AAU: PSA Cardinals (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @LManyang
Offers: Saint Louis, Massachusetts, George Mason, Charlotte, Manhattan, Bryant, NJIT.

Interest: La Salle, Virginia Tech, Texas, Texas A&M, Temple, Tulsa, Charlotte, Youngstown State, UC-Riverside, Elon, Saint Peter's.

Latest News: Manyang received an offer from SLU. (6/29/20)

Scouting Report: Manyang is a long, rapidly developing big man. He's a natural shot blocker with incredible length to go with timing and leaping ability. He's an excellent outlet passer after collecting rebounds. He's got good touch and footwork. He's active and energetic on both ends. He has a strong work ethic and is happy to do the dirty work. He's raw, particularly on the offensive side, but has made great strides and has a high ceiling.

-His Twitter is private so I can't tell who's following him yet and there hasn't been a ton written about him on Twitter, either, so I'm still trying to gauge who else is interested. Seems like we got in his recruitment at a good time, though. EDIT: Interest updated based on Twitter follows.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Lual Manyang - C, 6-10, 200 - South Sudan (Blair Academy, NJ) - AAU: PSA Cardinals (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @LManyang
Offers: Saint Louis, Massachusetts, George Mason, Charlotte, Manhattan, Bryant, NJIT.

Interest: TBD

Latest News: Manyang received an offer from SLU. (6/29/20)

Scouting Report: Manyang is a long, rapidly developing big man. He's a natural shot blocker with incredible length to go with timing and leaping ability. He's an excellent outlet passer after collecting rebounds. He's got good touch and footwork. He's active and energetic on both ends. He has a strong work ethic and is happy to do the dirty work. He's raw, particularly on the offensive side, but has made great strides and has a high ceiling.

-His Twitter is private so I can't tell who's following him yet and there hasn't been a ton written about him on Twitter, either, so I'm still trying to gauge who else is interested. Seems like we got in his recruitment at a good time, though.

I followed him after I saw the offer and he accepted.  He has 99 followers and here are the notable ones:

Jim Fenerty - AC at Temple

Jim Platt (!) - Director of Player Development at Tulsa

Kyle Griffin - AC at LaSalle

David Patrick - UC Riverside HC

Michael Lecak - AC at UC Riverside

Dave Paulsen - George Mason HC

Maurice Jopseh - AC George Mason 

Jason Slay - Youngstown State associate HC

Vic Sfera - AC at Charlotte

Marcus Conrad - Charlotte Director of Scouting

Vince Walden - Texas A&M DBO

Tony Bergeron - AC at UMass

Brian Kennedy - NJIT HC

Joe Gutowski - AC at NJIT

Ryan Wahlen - AC at St. Peters

Chester Frazier - AC at Va Tech

Cody Hyatt - Texas DBO

Mike Schrage - Elon HC

A bunch of fan accounts follow as well mostly from the schools above, but also a UConn fan account.

Pistol likes this

Anthony Black - PG, 6-5, 180 - Coppell, TX (Coppell) - AAU: 3D Empire - Twitter: @AnthonyBlack24_
Offers: Saint Louis, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Old Dominion, North Texas, Texas-Arlington.

Interest: VCU, Butler, Creighton, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas A&M, Colorado, Houston, Temple, Tulsa, SMU, East Carolina, Utah State, Boise State, Loyola-Chicago, Texas-El Paso, Louisiana Tech, Rice, Marshall, Toledo, Milwaukee, IUPUI, Louisiana, Georgia State, Texas State, Georgia Southern, Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State, Incarnate Word, Iona, UC-Riverside, Cal State-Fullerton, North Dakota, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, Liberty, Texas Southern.

Latest News: Black received offers from SLU, Texas, Texas Tech, and TCU. (6/29/20)

Scouting Report: Black is a confident, athletic guard with a great feel for the game. He gets to the rim to score but has nice touch on his jumper from anywhere. He has great handles and vision and finds his teammates everywhere. He's got a smooth game and plays at his own pace. He plays three sports and is also a D-I prospect in football (WR) and track (high jump, triple jump). His father, Terry, played basketball at Baylor.

-SLU was one of several offers over the weekend after he was awesome at an event. When you have a Texas-based player get offered by Texas, TCU, and Texas Tech that same weekend, we seem like the one bound to get lost in the shuffle. He's an unusual recruit because he also has 10+ D-I football offers, about half from power conferences. He said he'd love to play both if a school was willing but hasn't said for sure which sport he'll go with if he only plays one in college. He's a track star, too, in the jump events but won't pursue that after HS. His dad played at Baylor about 20 years ago and he spent the first several years of his life in Germany while he was playing pro, even learning to speak German before English.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I followed him after I saw the offer and he accepted.  He has 99 followers and here are the notable ones:

Thanks! Profile updated.

Platt follows every recruit on Twitter. So does Chester Frazier at VT.