Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

This video shows how well grounded Larry Sr. and Jr. are.  It is great to see Sr. did not let fame and fortune wreck his personal or family life.  That is a rare quality today.

I would love to see Jr. become a Billiken and help take us to new heights.

i always smile when i see larry legend show at the games and his entire family is with him.   he greets his kids when they show up separately with a kiss and/or hug.   he makes sure his wife has a drink and snacks.   fantastic example to all.  

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i always smile when i see larry legend show at the games and his entire family is with him.   he greets his kids when they show up separately with a kiss and/or hug.   he makes sure his wife has a drink and snacks.   fantastic example to all.  

Both Tatum and Hughes families reflect well on CBC.  

i'll be shocked if we dont win this battle.   the hughes family sits close to me at the games and i have been watching younger larry watch the billikens for 5 years.   you can see it in his eyes.   he loves the billikens.

ford just needs to not take it forgranted and overwhelm him with the attention he deserves and we will win.

bauman, Zink, BilliesBy40 and 1 other like this

30 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i'll be shocked if we dont win this battle.   the hughes family sits close to me at the games and i have been watching younger larry watch the billikens for 5 years.   you can see it in his eyes.   he loves the billikens.

ford just needs to not take it forgranted and overwhelm him with the attention he deserves and we will win.

I agree can't take him for granted.  If we lost this recruiting battle it would be a double whammy undermining Larry's encouragement of other locals to stay in STL.

The Legend came home after the NBA. He’s revered in STL whereas he’d just be another ex pro had he chose to live elsewhere. I think he’ll stress the importance of this to his son. Of course, a couple of deep runs in the dance would help a whole bunch. The city goes Billiken crazy, we get some national pub, and he gets an endorsement deal with Imos and a car dealership. 

27 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Really hope Ford is pitching becoming the Gonzaga of the Midwest to all these local recruits. We really have a chance to build something special. 

And do it with almost all local kids.  How great would it be for the Program, including attendance, if we could pull off the following next two recruiting classes?

2021:   Nesbitt, Kern and a Desmet big

2022:   Hughes, Martin, Reed.

Barring injuries or anything else unexpected we would still have the following "locals" for both years---Okoro, Thatch, Collins and Hargrove, plus Bell and Jimerson.  Add in our two FR recruits this year and you are talking long NCAA runs!  (I realize that all of the above puts us 1 scholarship over the limit in the second year)

Zink likes this

25 minutes ago, slu72 said:

If that all came together and everyone else lives up to our expectations, I would say a final 4 could be the result. 

I really think Nesbitt is the biggest domino for this to happen. Apparently Kern, Hughes and Reed are already fans of the program. They got in early on Martin and it sounds like they are in good with the DeSmet bigs. I feel like if you sell Nesbitt on staying home, the others will fall into place.

billiken_roy likes this

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I hear what you guys are saying about staying local, but if we stayed local, we wouldn't have the French's, Bess's and Jimerson's that we have recently found outside of the Lou.  I'll take 50/50 split on local v non-local.

Personally, I don't give a rat's a55 where our players come from....as long as we are winning. Yeah, local players would be great for numerous reasons stated on this board but if we're winning and winning consistently, our entire team could be from Greenland for all I care. 

13 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I hear what you guys are saying about staying local, but if we stayed local, we wouldn't have the French's, Bess's and Jimerson's that we have recently found outside of the Lou.  I'll take 50/50 split on local v non-local.

Literally no one is saying that we should recruit exclusively local

Zink and NextYearBill like this

7 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I agree can't take him for granted.  If we lost this recruiting battle it would be a double whammy undermining Larry's encouragement of other locals to stay in STL.

This is why I’m so confident in the Ford and Co. landing Legend 2.0.

The OG legend seemed to be all about Tatum staying home. I just can’t believe he would be that vocal about it and then not do the same for his son.

3 hours ago, dlarry said:

This is why I’m so confident in the Ford and Co. landing Legend 2.0.

The OG legend seemed to be all about Tatum staying home. I just can’t believe he would be that vocal about it and then not do the same for his son.

How many kids actually go to the school their Dad went? 

17 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

How many kids actually go to the school their Dad went? 

Not sure.

Also not sure how many dads openly campaign for friends of the family to attend their alma mater.

I wouldn’t think as much of the connection except that Sr. was open about wanting Tatum to be a Billiken. 
I don’t think he would be pushing Tatum one way and not doing the same for his son.

Jr may not end up a Billiken but you’re crazy if you don’t think the Hughes family is in his ear about attending Saint Louis U.

36 minutes ago, willie said:

This is a point I have made in the past. I think most do not. That said most aren’t season ticket holders. 

That plus a lot of them aren’t raised in that same city too. 

6 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Literally no one is saying that we should recruit exclusively local

Nor has anyone ever said this. One of the biggest straw man arguments on this board.

We just had a class with players from Florida, Nigeria/Illinois, Sweden and Germany. And I haven’t heard a single person say anything disparaging about that class (because it’s a great group).