Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

41 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I was told by someone who seemed to have a good understanding that he was practically on his way to mizzou to commit, but had the worlds worst OV.  He then told OSU and osu was shocked because they too that it was a done deal. 

I had never heard that although I had heard it was down to Mizzou and Ohio State, so that isn't too far fetched for me. I had always heard that Ohio State was where he wanted to go, but that his dad's relationship with Cuonzo made Mizzou where he wanted EJ to go. And then like you said, the visit happened and ultimately his dad let him make the choice he wanted. I had heard similar about his visit to Columbia, so I think there has to be truth to that. I have not gotten anything of substance as to what went down beyond maybe some activity he doesn't partake in. One of the interesting things is that he was with Mario McKinney on his visit a guy Mizzou seemingly recruited heavily in hopes of landing EJ. Hilarious (although less so as a Mizzou fan who is now to the point of just laughing at how bad things have gone with Cuonzo). 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When Liddell took that weekend visit by Sunday there were rumblings online how badly it went and that Liddell left early. It was focused on a 2 current tiger players and McKinney that Liddell had some issue with.

22 minutes ago, thetorch said:

When Liddell took that weekend visit by Sunday there were rumblings online how badly it went and that Liddell left early. It was focused on a 2 current tiger players and McKinney that Liddell had some issue with.

ej is a strong minded high character young man.   i have been to a majority of his home high school games in his 4 year legendary career.   i have seen him in the stands with his family and friends and teachers and fellow students.   no way he was going to walk into that trainwreck aka mi$$ouri he just didnt fit.   poacher and eric (ej's father) were childhood friends.   and poacher assumed it was a done deal.

as a freshman and sophomore, i heard from a number of students and teachers that he talked billikens all the time.   somehow we blew that lead.   i suspect, coach ford signed gordon and ej decided he was second choice.   he will blossom in Columbus.   

BilliesBy40 likes this

23 hours ago, Billiken4life5 said:

Mayo is a freak athlete but will have to improve his perimeter shooting.  So explosive that he's never had to consistently hit from outside, been able to get to the rim whenever.  Obviously how much he grows will impact things.  6"1 vs 6"4 makes a big difference. JGood is the comparison that comes to mind before Jett for me.  

If I was rating the top 3 post prospects to come out of STL in the last 5 years Reed would be right there with Gordon and Tyler Cook.  He's not quite as explosive as the other two but his skillset is super refined and may turn out to be bigger.  And he's not just bullying small high schoolers, steps out and hits 3's too.  

When I see Mayo, I see Fred Thatch, right down to the high school shooting percentage from the line as a sophomore.  Goodwin has a freakish wingspan and really big hands.  I don't think a lot of people understand what an advantage that it is for power players in basketball.

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

ej is a strong minded high character young man.   i have been to a majority of his home high school games in his 4 year legendary career.   i have seen him in the stands with his family and friends and teachers and fellow students.   no way he was going to walk into that trainwreck aka mi$$ouri.    as a freshman and sophomore, i heard from a number of students and teachers that he talked billikens all the time.   somehow we blew that lead.   i suspect, coach ford signed gordon and ej decided he was second choice.   he will blossom in Columbus.   

I was just going to post that it seems that EJ really has his head in the right place. 

I don't know if Gordon played a roll in EJ's decision.  Sometimes kid desires just change.  I don't think he was worried about someone possibly being ahead of him on the depth chart.  When he committed to OSU Kaleb Wesson was coming off an All-Big 10 freshman season and Alonzo Gaffney had already committed in the same class.  Now, maybe he just wanted to not be on the same team as Gordon the person.  I was told by someone that I think was close enough to have a good read on the situation that EJ fell in love with OSU, their staff, campus and team pretty early in their recruitment of EJ. From that point on, at least in EJ's mind it was OSU.  His dad definitely was pushing for Mizzou and wanted EJ to keep an open mind them, but it was never close to a you have to go to Mizzou thing.  His mom just wanted EJ to go where he wanted and to stay as close to home as possible but that didn't necessarily mean super close.

49 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Looks like 247 Sports has Larry Hughes, Jr. up to No. 84 in the 2022 rankings.  Tarris Reed is at No. 64.

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

Those are the composite rankings, which update frequently based on other ratings. 247's own ratings have Reed 79th and Hughes outside the top 80.

Great to see that STL never really takes a year off anymore in terms of putting out top-100 talent.

thetorch likes this

48 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

This is purely conjecture on my part, but something tells me that FBLHJ is going to shoot up the rankings as his role on CBC increases. 

His role is definitely going to expand without Caleb Love around. 
I think we see him take a huge step this year.

1 hour ago, johnbj14 said:

This is purely conjecture on my part, but something tells me that FBLHJ is going to shoot up the rankings as his role on CBC increases. 

Yeah, I was really looking forward to watching him play this spring/summer to get a better sense for how he stacks up with the top players in the country and then as you say next high school season as his role will expand substantially with Caleb Love moving on.

brianstl likes this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I think Hughes and Martin will both blow up with Love gone.

For sure. The MCC is going to be fun to watch this winter with the talent at DeSmet, CBC, and Chaminade. Some really interesting prospects at all three with a lot of kids who are improving quite a bit year to year and guys likely stepping into expanded roles.

brianstl likes this

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Are we the front runners for Hughes Jr? At 84 he’ll be a target for a bunch of P5’s. I know The Legend is close to SLU but enough to steer Jr to be a Billiken? 

I would think so. At this point, we’re still the only program that’s offered him a scholarship. Of course, that will change quickly if he continues to improve and takes a bigger role with Love gone.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Are we the front runners for Hughes Jr? At 84 he’ll be a target for a bunch of P5’s. I know The Legend is close to SLU but enough to steer Jr to be a Billiken? 

Hopefully SLU is, I look forward to seeing Larry Hughes SR at all of the home games to watch his son become the next legend.

On 5/15/2020 at 7:51 AM, 3star_recruit said:

It will be interesting to see how LHJ develops because between the two, Robert Martin is the alpha on that team.  He's the best at creating his own shot and percentage-wise he's a better perimeter shooter than Jr. is.

I would also guess that Martin takes less threes than Jr. 

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Here is the new Rivals 150 for the class of 2022. Tarris Reed comes in at 79 and Larry Jr. at 139. I thought Rob Martin might be on the list too, but I didn't see him.

Lists this early are dominated by tall and/or physically developed kids.  The jury is out on the tiny titans until they prove their game holds up against upperclassmen.  Yuri didn't even break into the top 400 until late in his junior year.

BilliesBy40 likes this