Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Speaking of Reed, is he a banger type like Has?  Listed as a Center, but at 6'7.  While only a sophomore, is he supposed to grow more?

He's built differently, with a lower center of gravity. Hasahn has a massive upper body and long arms; Reed has tree trunk legs (think younger Tyler Cook, for the quick and easy Chaminade comp) and an overall solid frame.

He should grow a couple more inches. The way he's built, he looks taller than French already. More traditional looking big man.

I love the tweet and it shows a nice mutual bond in his recruitment. I hope we maintain that because he has the potential to really blow up this summer if the AAU season goes on as planned.

Reed is a banger, but not like Has.  His offensive game is more diversified.  He's a legitimate threat out to 17 feet.  He'll probably be a legitimate three point threat by this time next year.  He's more inclined to score off of layups close to the rim than he is from explosive dunks.  And he makes you pay for sending him to the free throw line, shooting around 75%.  Based on how he looks standing next to the De Smet bigs, I'd say Reed is already 6'8 225.  Not much of a shotblocker but he is a good rebounder.

There's nothing flashy about Reed's game, he just does a lot of things well.  His combination of bully and shooting would be a matchup nightmare in the A10.

Bills_06, Pistol, Zink and 1 other like this

19 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Reed is a banger, but not like Has.  His offensive game is more diversified.  He's a legitimate threat out to 17 feet.  He'll probably be a legitimate three point threat by this time next year.  He's more inclined to score off of layups close to the rim than he is from explosive dunks.  And he makes you pay for sending him to the free throw line, shooting around 75%.  Based on how he looks standing next to the De Smet bigs, I'd say Reed is already 6'8 225.  Not much of a shotblocker but he is a good rebounder.

There's nothing flashy about Reed's game, he just does a lot of things well.  His combination of bully and shooting would be a matchup nightmare in the A10.

So basically we really want him 

17 minutes ago, courtside said:

For those interested, Reed will play this Saturday, Prepcasts will have a stream. Chaminade has had a more fortunate draw avoiding CBC, DeSmet, etc...thus far. They will play Mehlville Saturday. Reed will get to see plenty of length against Mehlville.

The game is still on? 

15 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Yep, over 30 states have done that. In Illinois, Mater Dei was in the 2A State semifinals v Chicago Orr when it was shut down. Collinsville had one of their best teams in a long time, a large school contender.  Missouri is playing. Two large school quarterfinals in suburban St. Louis today for example.

13 minutes ago, courtside said:

Yep, over 30 states have done that. In Illinois, Mater Dei was in the 2A State semifinals v Chicago Orr when it was shut down. Collinsville had one of their best teams in a long time, a large school contender.  Missouri is playing. Two large school quarterfinals in suburban St. Louis today for example.

My wife went to Collinsville HS and back in her HS days they won 2 state championships when they only had one class. Too bad the Kahoks won't see how far they could go but I do believe Illinois officials made the right decision.

From here in FL I have been following my niece as she is the star on Ursuline. Team is not very good but most games she is at or near 20 points. She is a Junior and should easily break their all time school scoring next season.

24 minutes ago, Schasz said:

My wife went to Collinsville HS and back in her HS days they won 2 state championships when they only had one class. Too bad the Kahoks won't see how far they could go but I do believe Illinois officials made the right decision.

From here in FL I have been following my niece as she is the star on Ursuline. Team is not very good but most games she is at or near 20 points. She is a Junior and should easily break their all time school scoring next season.

Former Billiken Jeff Gaona was the new coach at Nerinx Hall this year. Former Billiken John Duff was a DeSmet assistant. (his kid is a Freshman)

48 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Would've been very interesting to see how far the Kahoks could go. Especially playing against the bigger Chicago schools with multiple D1 recruits. Hard to believe Collinsville only has one(Ray'sean Taylor at SIUE)

8 minutes ago, meerkat said:

Would've been very interesting to see how far the Kahoks could go. Especially playing against the bigger Chicago schools with multiple D1 recruits. Hard to believe Collinsville only has one(Ray'sean Taylor at SIUE)

coach lee is a fantastic coach with many years of great success at Nashville high school before coming to collinsville.  undoubtedly finally bringing his results to collinsville

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

coach lee is a fantastic coach with many years of great success at Nashville high school before coming to collinsville.  undoubtedly finally bringing his results to collinsville

There were times at games I was at that Collinsville wouldn't have the greatest first half, but then came out on fire in the second half and put the game away in the third quarter. Shows how good of a coach Lee is

Getting the thread off of Illinois HS basketball and back on topic:

As I have written previously, local recruiting success can go a long way to making us THE STL area team that future area players want to be a part of.  If we could get 2 of the top 3 local recruits each year meaning 8 of 13 scholarship players on the roster, I think we would fill the 'Fetz and become a school of choice for the top area players.  Last year we did that with TH Jr. and Yuri.  Clearly we struck out this year, going 0 for 2 in available scholarships. 

Give me Kern and Nesbitt plus a board banger from anywhere in next years class, then Martin and Reed (also maybe Hughes II) the following year and we will be a consistent top 25 program-sorry to exceed expectations, Fr. B.  I think a real key is Kern and Nesbitt next year.  Those two would send the message loud and clear that SLU should be the first choice for local kids.

If a 4th scholarship opens up, which I think is likely, in the 2021 recruiting year, I would like to see a combo 1/2 would could help Yuri when needed while at the same time being an outstanding 2 guard.  This would keep us in the running for Martin, the CBC PG to be the YC replacement in the following class.

Simple plan.  Now TF and staff just go out and do it! 😉

Zink and meerkat like this

3 hours ago, meerkat said:

Collinsville had a two point OT win over Morgan Park (Morgan Park defeated CBC by one point) They lost to Simeon. Both of the schools are top 10 Chicago teams. They had an OT 3 pt buzzer beater over DeSmet. 

Whitney Young had a two point win over CBC, three point loss to Vashon, three point OT loss to Morgan Park and two point loss to them, fourteen point win over Simeon, .....Whitney Young is a top 10 Chicago team. 

Simeon lost to Vashon, won over Morgan Park twice and Collinsville,  lost to Whitney Young.

Mehlville lost to Currie by four, and Currie has a win and a loss v Simeon, Bloom, Bogan, (both top teams) Vashon. 

You can see the head to head matchups, and similar opponent matchups and most of these games and teams came down to the wire.

3 hours ago, bauman said:

Getting the thread off of Illinois HS basketball and back on topic:

As I have written previously, local recruiting success can go a long way to making us THE STL area team that future area players want to be a part of.  If we could get 2 of the top 3 local recruits each year meaning 8 of 13 scholarship players on the roster, I think we would fill the 'Fetz and become a school of choice for the top area players.  Last year we did that with TH Jr. and Yuri.  Clearly we struck out this year, going 0 for 2 in available scholarships. 

Give me Kern and Nesbitt plus a board banger from anywhere in next years class, then Martin and Reed (also maybe Hughes II) the following year and we will be a consistent top 25 program-sorry to exceed expectations, Fr. B.  I think a real key is Kern and Nesbitt next year.  Those two would send the message loud and clear that SLU should be the first choice for local kids.

If a 4th scholarship opens up, which I think is likely, in the 2021 recruiting year, I would like to see a combo 1/2 would could help Yuri when needed while at the same time being an outstanding 2 guard.  This would keep us in the running for Martin, the CBC PG to be the YC replacement in the following class.

Simple plan.  Now TF and staff just go out and do it! 😉

There is absolutely ZERO "maybe" with Hughes Jr.