Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a Q & A with Larry Jr. He briefly talks about how much he appreciates the offer from SLU as well as recruiting in general. Below is his answer about SLU for those who don't want to read the entire article.

Q:  Saint Louis University has already offered. What does it mean to have them show interest so early? 
A:  It means a lot. I appreciate Coach Ford (Saint Louis University Head Coach) and the staff for taking a chance on me and giving me an opportunity to play at the next level. 

JohnnyJumpUp and CBFan like this

3 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Lying?   Really?  An apology to me is in order - though I am not holding my breath.

The rest of the Board naturally does not care, but yes, I started a PM with you on November 22nd to let you know (in that you had been posting soccer info) about a local big name soccer kid who had just changed his mind from SLU to another school.    You responded with?  "Soccer?.. " so I presumed that you had not yet heard this and then proceeded giving me info about other kids for which I was appreciative.  In return, yes, I did ask you above questions.  Never said I didn't.

And again, most of this Board does not care about soccer and I thought it best not to publicly mention the local kid's name - hence the private message.   But for you to say I lied?  I lied to you? Lied about what?   Yes, I admit that I asked the above questions after providing you with what I thought was breaking scoop on the SLU soccer recruiting front which I do not believe had  been made public (though I could  be wrong but which I had not seen in print).  If anything, your leaving that part out could be considered lying - though again, I would never say that.  

You must really have issues.   If you are worried that I recently contacted you recently by PM to give you info and then asked you if you had heard anything new in return, you sure did not indicate the same to me.  Though rest assured, now that you have exposed yourself for who your are, no more PM's will come from me to you.   

You posted a personal attack of me in this thread, unsolicited. I found it humorous because you are the same person that recently sent me (also unsolicited but I didn’t mind at all) a seemingly normal friendly private message asking me about recruiting.

Literally the very first line you sent was, “Any word to recruiting?” .....It  came in the form of a question. That of course could have been regarding several sports men or women at SLU. I asked if you meant soccer because your next sentence was referencing your som’s friendship with a specific soccer player. I wanted to make sure you wanted soccer recruiting info and not basketball.(basketball being the most popular sport here) I assumed you meant soccer but to be sure I asked. Then, I kindly answered your question like I would anyone else and gave you as much info as I could regarding some SLU commits, targets. I even provided professional feedback regarding your son’s friend and the some specifics regarding his program that may have been helpful to get you started.

You proceeded to seem appreciative of the info and then immediately asked more questions.

The point of course is don’t send me friendly private messages seeking info and feedback and turn right around and come after me here. 

Seems simple enough. I even said it in a light hearted friendly manner 

But really this is more about not accepting an opinion different from yours and-or facts in specific situations. For example, it is my opinion and apparently many here as well as the MLB HOF that Ted Simmons is a HOF player and that it was a long overdue honor. You have a different opinion. That’s great. Good for you. The specific numbers and stats cannot be disputed because of course they are facts. They can be ignored. Opinions based on those facts can and do vary. Clearly you had carried over ill will towards me on some of these topics because you mentioned them in your unsolicited negative post towards me. 

You see I can discuss a topic back and forth without making personal attacks, holding grudges later. 

And that leads back to why this whole thing started, Roy posted,

”I think of we can’t sign the biggest name Billiken in the last 50+ year’s son, who sits in the 7th row of Billiken games, that’s a problem.”

And that extreme of course leads to discussion about letting kids make their own college decisions, which then led to Roy telling others how to be a Billiken fan etc....which of course is as ridiculous as it sounds.

The reality is SLU got in early to recruit Hughes and have done everything correctly in the process. Many would like to see him pick SLU because of his name. Many would like to see him pick SLU because he is a good four star recruit on the rise. Many would like to see him pick SLU for both reasons. (raises hand)

I refuse to tell a high school kid where to go to college. I refuse to hold a grudge if they choose elsewhere. No one recruit is a must get, ever. (I do agree with Roy that Hughes II is a much better shooter than his dad at this stage and will be throughout high school and college. He is not as athletic as his dad, but plenty good enough) 

6 hours ago, Matty Light said:

Let's keep things in perspective.  Larry was very athletic and could show a quick athletic burst, but his competence came from his skills.  For an 18 year old Freshman he had incredible skills creating his own shots.  But he was in no way comparable to Dwayne Wade's explosiveness (I assume we are talking final year at Marquette).  Not many guys are.

Larry was more of a long, smooth, skilled player like a 1/2 ft. shorter Kevin Durant.  He could show you that explosiveness when he needed it but he didn't make it part of his game.  Wade could just dominate with his explosiveness.  He was fun to watch.  Too bad he couldn't get academically eligible to play in the 2000-2001 season.  I would loved to have watched him play at Savvis before I graduated.

I certainly wasn’t comparing the ability, careers or results of Wade and Hughes. People asked and wanted a rough comparison. 

Hughes did not have a consistent shot or handle. He was not an elite passer. He did not make others around him a lot better. Long and lean, very athletic, quick, and explosive, just not consistently. He glided sometimes. 

Wade is an all timer. He had a good handle, elite mid range game, great athlete, made others better. Had a triple double in his elite 8 college game over top ranked Kentucky to lead Marquette to a Final Four. All timer. Was good at several things and he played hard every night.

When I think skillsets I think fundamentals. This is not the first thing I think of with Hughes. I think of his length and athleticism and quickness. 

Hughes II will have better fundamentals and skillsets than his dad. He will not have the same athleticism level to rely upon when needed is really the point.

Speaking of point, Hughes II is coming from that perspective first, as a point guard. So he is already good in those skillsets. Handle, passing, along with being a better shooter than his dad at a comparable time.

Hey guys, just my personal opinion in regards of being or not being a Bills fan and how it applies to recruitment. When we got Hargrove's commitment one of the salient points, at least to me, was the tweet of his mother calling Coach Ford a respectful and I think trustworthy person (or something like it) and saying she was glad her son would come to SLU.

I think there is  a message here, you get a lot more (or at least I think so) by being respectful of the family and the kid, and genuinely looking to the kid as a future star of the team, than by stressing loyalty, etc. I personally do not like pressure being placed upon me and have turned down jobs because I thought they were pressing me too much to do it.

I do not want anyone to interpret this as taking sides in this discussion, this is not my intention. I think everybody knows I am a true Bills fan and I am just presenting my opinion. Take it any way you want.

If any good to great basketball players ask me if they should go to SLU.  I say yes.  Because I'm a Billikens fan.  I can think of hundreds of reasons why it's a good choice for anyone.   If you can't hypothetically encourage someone to attend SLU then yeah you're not a real fan as I'd define it.  Most of you guys are idiots Roy is dead on in this one.   I probably won't be at anymore games this year to fight if you don't agree but there's always next year or Salina.

4 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

If any good to great basketball players ask me if they should go to SLU.  I say yes.  Because I'm a Billikens fan.  I can think of hundreds of reasons why it's a good choice for anyone.   If you can't hypothetically encourage someone to attend SLU then yeah you're not a real fan as I'd define it.  Most of you guys are idiots Roy is dead on in this one.   I probably won't be at anymore games this year to fight if you don't agree but there's always next year or Salina.

Bring your paystubs.

22 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

This debate is tiresome.  Courtside didn't not encourage Larry Hughes II to choose SLU; he just said that it's the young man's decision to make, not what posters here want.

courtside likes this

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Perhaps you may want to read more closely next time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2020 at 8:25 PM, courtside said:

I certainly wasn’t comparing the ability, careers or results of Wade and Hughes. People asked and wanted a rough comparison. 

Hughes did not have a consistent shot or handle. He was not an elite passer. He did not make others around him a lot better. Long and lean, very athletic, quick, and explosive, just not consistently. He glided sometimes. 

Wade is an all timer. He had a good handle, elite mid range game, great athlete, made others better. Had a triple double in his elite 8 college game over top ranked Kentucky to lead Marquette to a Final Four. All timer. Was good at several things and he played hard every night.

When I think skillsets I think fundamentals. This is not the first thing I think of with Hughes. I think of his length and athleticism and quickness. 

Hughes II will have better fundamentals and skillsets than his dad. He will not have the same athleticism level to rely upon when needed is really the point.

Speaking of point, Hughes II is coming from that perspective first, as a point guard. So he is already good in those skillsets. Handle, passing, along with being a better shooter than his dad at a comparable time.

Didn't root much for D Wade at Marquette because they were a rival of SLU; however, when we lived in South FL during his prime years with the Heat we became a huge fan of his. Of course, the 4 years he played with LeBron were a lot of fun. They will be retiring his Heat number soon.

2 hours ago, Schasz said:

Didn't root much for D Wade at Marquette because they were a rival of SLU; however, when we lived in South FL during his prime years with the Heat we became a huge fan of his. Of course, the 4 years he played with LeBron were a lot of fun. They will be retiring his Heat number soon.

Hey Schasz. Yep Wade was an all timer. Below was his 29,11,11 triple double elite eight game vs #1 Kentucky to go to Final Four. Keep an eye on his son Zaire, a chance he may play college ball your way. Miami is one of his possibilities, but it's a bit early yet for his decision, 2020 point guard not anywhere near his dad's level but improving. Hughes will be more highly recruited than Zaire. He transferred to CA Sierra Canyon this year and is playing high school ball with Lebron's son Bronny. Scotty Pippen's son Scottie (Vandy) played there last year. It's a loaded team, essentially two teams.

Hughes II will be well recruited when all is said and done for him.

https://twitter.com/ThrowbackHoops/status/1215743402660126721?s=19

23 hours ago, courtside said:

Hey Schasz. Yep Wade was an all timer. Below was his 29,11,11 triple double elite eight game vs #1 Kentucky to go to Final Four. Keep an eye on his son Zaire, a chance he may play college ball your way. Miami is one of his possibilities, but it's a bit early yet for his decision, 2020 point guard not anywhere near his dad's level but improving. Hughes will be more highly recruited than Zaire. He transferred to CA Sierra Canyon this year and is playing high school ball with Lebron's son Bronny. Scotty Pippen's son Scottie (Vandy) played there last year. It's a loaded team, essentially two teams.

Hughes II will be well recruited when all is said and done for him.

https://twitter.com/ThrowbackHoops/status/1215743402660126721?s=19

Courtside...Watched Pippin's kid Saturday playing my wife's Vols at Vandy. The game in the 1st half was typical game for UT this season butt ugly. They were better when they ramped up the D in the 2nd half.  I'll keep my fingers crossed as many of my fellow SLU Alums here have and say I hope Master Hughes II stays at home when he signs a National LOI.

On 8/16/2018 at 7:32 PM, dlarry said:

Hughes seemed to be pretty vocal about wanting Tatum to attend SLU. 

I would assume he will feel the same way about his own son. 

I would imagine his daughter Lauryn playing on the Billiken women's team doesn't hurt either.

I would imagine his daughter Lauryn playing on the Billiken women's team doesn't hurt either.

Dorothy, click your mouse button three times while repeating, "There's no place like SLU," and your hometown stars won't be in Kansas (or Kansas State) anymore.

20 minutes ago, pakapablo said:

34 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Dorothy, click your mouse button three times while repeating, "There's no place like SLU," and your hometown stars won't be in Kansas (or Kansas State) anymore.

I'm assuming @pakapablo ran into a software issue that I've noticed and maybe @SluSignGuy can address.  If you're in a thread with more than one page and you go back and quote something from an earlier page, once you hit "submit reply" it leaves you on that earlier page with the reply box still filled out with the post you just tried to submit.  You don't actually see your new post and are left to assume it didn't go through thus you click "submit reply" again and sometimes again.  It's only when you navigate to the last page of the thread and see that you've posted the same thing 3 times that you're left feeling like an idiot realizing you've posted the same thing 3 times (or more).  

4 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm assuming @pakapablo ran into a software issue that I've noticed and maybe @SluSignGuy can address.  If you're in a thread with more than one page and you go back and quote something from an earlier page, once you hit "submit reply" it leaves you on that earlier page with the reply box still filled out with the post you just tried to submit.  You don't actually see your new post and are left to assume it didn't go through thus you click "submit reply" again and sometimes again.  It's only when you navigate to the last page of the thread and see that you've posted the same thing 3 times that you're left feeling like an idiot realizing you've posted the same thing 3 times (or more).  

-I don't have that, if I reply to a post on say page 4 and there are now 6 pages I get taken to page 6 when I reply so then I go back to see read the rest of the content, interesting it would be different

32 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I don't have that, if I reply to a post on say page 4 and there are now 6 pages I get taken to page 6 when I reply so then I go back to see read the rest of the content, interesting it would be different

Ok.  I just tried it over in the Test forum and it worked for me just like you said.  I've definitely had a situation before where it has not taken me to the latest page and it has left my message in the reply box.  I didn't note the circumstances (browser, mobile device, etc.) at the time, but I'll try to going forward.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm aware of that, but you're ruining the joke.

• 1 month later...