Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

13 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

The topic of discussion is billiken fandom.   Im not talking about whats pleasant and civil and accepted by the hughes family.   But as a billiken fan imo you better want 100% for a natural billiken target like larry hughes jr to become a billiken.   If not, well as i said above you are not a billiken fan first and foremost.  

Am i over the top?  Maybe, but GD maybe if billiken nation raised the temperature a little bit more that might help the overall cause.   Quit being so f'ing nice and insist on all things billiken.    

But only if everyone wears blue right?

billiken_roy likes this

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

The topic of discussion is billiken fandom.   Im not talking about whats pleasant and civil and accepted by the hughes family.   But as a billiken fan imo you better want 100% for a natural billiken target like larry hughes jr to become a billiken.   If not, well as i said above you are not a billiken fan first and foremost.  

Am i over the top?  Maybe, but GD maybe if billiken nation raised the temperature a little bit more that might help the overall cause.   Quit being so f'ing nice and insist on all things billiken.    

It’s pretty clear that many of the Billiken fans here and the larger sizes elsewhere would like SLU to get the best recruits possible every year, all of the time.  I don’t think anyone here is thinking or saying, nope we’d like a team filled with 2 star caliber players. 

A “natural” target like Hughes. Again, I believe many if not everyone here would like to see Hughes play at SLU as long as he is good enough. (spoiler alert he’ll be plenty good enough). And as mentioned, some would possibly like him to be a Billiken even if he wasn’t good enough. That opinion I believe would be more mixed. Makes sense.

It isn’t about being over the top. It isn’t about being a Billiken fan. It’s about a high school kid choosing the best fit for himself when choosing where to go to college and play basketball. That is not my decision, your decision, his parents’ decision, his friends’ decision, anyone else’s decision but kid’s decision. It’s his life, no one else’s life. 

Perhaps he wants to go to SLU, great. Perhaps he would rather go elsewhere. Many people here are confident that Ford and his staff are recruiting him to the best of their ability, and that they  know what they are doing.

There will even be some here and elsewhere with some thoughts about the challenges of going to the same school as your dad that played there. Others won’t care or think it is a big deal. But all of these people want the best recruits in order to win at the highest level possible as often as possible. 

The reality is that SLU and many other schools will be successful with many players from a wide variety of places and backgrounds. Billiken fans here root for SLU, and some of those kids will be related to Billiken alums, some will be from St. Louis, some will be from some of the other 50 states, and some will be from other countries. 

I’m sure many people here saw this recently below, as a random example. Former HOF NFL football player Emmitt Smith’s son was choosing where to play college football. His final choices were: Florida (where his dad played), Georgia, Ohio St., Stanford, Texas A&M. He chose Stanford. 

This was his dad’s response:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ftw.usatoday.com/2019/12/national-signing-day-emmitt-smith-ej-smith-stanford/amp

I don't know much about Emmitt Smith's kid, but since I follow the SEC with my wife being a Vols Alum my hunch when I saw that signing was Master Smith probably is an intelligent kid. If that is the case then Stanford is a very good choice for him. He'll get a chance to excel on the football field while attending one of the highest ranked education Schools in the country.

As a Billiken fan I sure hope that Hughes, Jr selects SLU when that time comes; however the higher his Star rating is at that time will make that decision a bit more problematic as the Blue Bloods will enter his recruitment big time.

Old guy likes this

5 hours ago, courtside said:

It’s pretty clear that many of the Billiken fans here and the larger sizes elsewhere would like SLU to get the best recruits possible every year, all of the time.  I don’t think anyone here is thinking or saying, nope we’d like a team filled with 2 star caliber players. 

A “natural” target like Hughes. Again, I believe many if not everyone here would like to see Hughes play at SLU as long as he is good enough. (spoiler alert he’ll be plenty good enough). And as mentioned, some would possibly like him to be a Billiken even if he wasn’t good enough. That opinion I believe would be more mixed. Makes sense.

It isn’t about being over the top. It isn’t about being a Billiken fan. It’s about a high school kid choosing the best fit for himself when choosing where to go to college and play basketball. That is not my decision, your decision, his parents’ decision, his friends’ decision, anyone else’s decision but kid’s decision. It’s his life, no one else’s life. 

Perhaps he wants to go to SLU, great. Perhaps he would rather go elsewhere. Many people here are confident that Ford and his staff are recruiting him to the best of their ability, and that they  know what they are doing.

There will even be some here and elsewhere with some thoughts about the challenges of going to the same school as your dad that played there. Others won’t care or think it is a big deal. But all of these people want the best recruits in order to win at the highest level possible as often as possible. 

The reality is that SLU and many other schools will be successful with many players from a wide variety of places and backgrounds. Billiken fans here root for SLU, and some of those kids will be related to Billiken alums, some will be from St. Louis, some will be from some of the other 50 states, and some will be from other countries. 

I’m sure many people here saw this recently below, as a random example. Former HOF NFL football player Emmitt Smith’s son was choosing where to play college football. His final choices were: Florida (where his dad played), Georgia, Ohio St., Stanford, Texas A&M. He chose Stanford. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ftw.usatoday.com/2019/12/national-signing-day-emmitt-smith-ej-smith-stanford/amp

My son has his own journey. And it is his journey, not my journey.

And what we SLU fans want Larry Hughes (Sr.), Justin Tatum, Jayson Tatum, and others who will be influencers for Larry Hughes II to impress upon him that Saint Louis University is a worthy place for that journey, even if it's where his dad went to school, also.  (Courtside, I'm not impugning you, or anything like that, but I'm just opining.)

See, Florida's legacy is well established.  E.J. Smith wouldn't stand out that much there in his father's shadow.  SLU's legacy needs to be built up, and Larry Hughes II could definitely stand out at SLU in his father's spotlight.  That's the positioning we want to establish, as SLU fans, in my opinion.

billiken_roy likes this

20 hours ago, courtside said:

It’s pretty clear that all of the Billiken fans here and the larger sizes elsewhere would like SLU to get the best recruits possible every year, all of the time.  I don’t think anyone here is thinking or saying, nope we’d like a team filled with 2 star caliber players. 

Perhaps he wants to go to SLU, great. Perhaps he would rather go elsewhere. 

The reality is that SLU and many other schools will and be successful with many players from a wide variety of places and backgrounds. 

I’m sure many people here saw this recently as a random example. Former HOF NFL football player Emmitt Smith’s som was choosing where to play college football. His final choices were: Florida (where his dad played), Georgia, Ohio St., Stanford, Texas A&M. He chose Stanford. 

that is for the hughes family to decide.  but i am a billiken fan.  and imo a true billiken fan wants what is best for the billikens.   you are not a billiken fan though so you wouldnt know that.   you were probably outside kicking a soccer ball against a wall yesterday instead of being at chaifetz.   your choice.   most local true blue hardcore billiken fans in the st louis area were at chaifetz wearing blue yesterday.   just admit you arent one of those and we can all move on and you can resume being the all knowing soccer source for us true blue fans.  

TheA_Bomb likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

that is for the hughes family to decide.  but i am a billiken fan.  and imo a true billiken fan wants what is best for the billikens.   you are not a billiken fan though so you wouldnt know that.   you were probably outside kicking a soccer ball against a wall yesterday instead of being at chaifetz.   your choice.   most local true blue hardcore billiken fans in the st louis area were at chaifetz wearing blue yesterday.   just admit you arent one of those and we can all move on and you can resume being the all knowing soccer source for us true blue fans.  

Roy, you don't know if what you're alleging is true; you're concocting that.  You don't want to believe that Courtside is as "good" of a fan as you are, because he makes different choices — as you say — in expressing his feelings as a result of preferring to write from a balanced perspective (somewhat like me, perhaps).  But you've made up in your mind to hold a grudge against him because of those preferences.  Very well; your choice.

But if you ever decide to have a more open mind, perhaps you'll see that Courtside is, indeed, a Billikens fan who does really want the Bills to be good and to get good players like Larry Hughes II, but he's able to write about it while attempting to put himself in Larry's shoes (either Larry, take your pick).  Indeed, LH2 doesn't necessarily need to be a Billiken, as you wrote in an earlier post in this thread, because you need for him to be a Billiken.  But if the recruiting process goes well, one day LH2 will recognize within himself a need to be a Billiken, not because of what specific fans on a message board have been writing, but because the coaching staff and #TeamBlue and "Billiken Nation" will have positioned Saint Louis U. as the place for him to put his legacy — or to "take his talents."

We called Larry Hughes (Sr.), "the Legend."  When Larry Hughes II applies his talents as a Billiken, we'll call him, "the Legacy."  But I think that our part of that, as faceless (in some cases) fans posting on an internet message board, is to establish that general tenor that warmly welcomes "the Legacy" to SLU.  The yin of that is fans like yourself who dream of the day that "the Legacy" is wowing crowds, led by "the Legend" and Dr. C, in Chaifetz,  and the yang is fans like Courtside who exude a sense of understanding towards the young man, affirming for him that it's his life and his choice to make, and whatever choice he makes won't diminish his value as a person or as a St. Louisan.  The balance must be there, so I guess you and Courtside can keep up your blood feud, as long as you stay away from LH2.  (No stalking!!!)

But let Larry Hughes II — and Larry Hughes Sr., as well — understand this:  Yes, he'll always be a representative of St. Louis, no matter where he goes to school, but if he really wants to be celebrated by St. Louis, then he would be best served to be a Billiken.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Roy, you don't know if what you're alleging is true; you're concocting that.  You don't want to believe that Courtside is as "good" of a fan as you are, because he makes different choices — as you say — in expressing his feelings as a result of preferring to write from a balanced perspective (somewhat like me, perhaps).  But you've made up in your mind to hold a grudge against him because of those preferences.  Very well; your choice.

But if you ever decide to have a more open mind, perhaps you'll see that Courtside is, indeed, a Billikens fan who does really want the Bills to be good and to get good players like Larry Hughes II, but he's able to write about it while attempting to put himself in Larry's shoes (either Larry, take your pick).  Indeed, LH2 doesn't necessarily need to be a Billiken, as you wrote in an earlier post in this thread, because you need for him to be a Billiken.  But if the recruiting process goes well, one day LH2 will recognize within himself a need to be a Billiken, not because of what specific fans on a message board have been writing, but because the coaching staff and #TeamBlue and "Billiken Nation" will have positioned Saint Louis U. as the place for him to put his legacy — or to "take his talents."

We called Larry Hughes (Sr.), "the Legend."  When Larry Hughes II applies his talents as a Billiken, we'll call him, "the Legacy."  But I think that our part of that, as faceless (in some cases) fans posting on an internet message board, is to establish that general tenor that warmly welcomes "the Legacy" to SLU.  The yin of that is fans like yourself who dream of the day that "the Legacy" is wowing crowds, led by "the Legend" and Dr. C, in Chaifetz,  and the yang is fans like Courtside who exude a sense of understanding towards the young man, affirming for him that it's his life and his choice to make, and whatever choice he makes won't diminish his value as a person or as a St. Louisan.  The balance must be there, so I guess you and Courtside can keep up your blood feud, as long as you stay away from LH2.  (No stalking!!!)

But let Larry Hughes II — and Larry Hughes Sr., as well — understand this:  Yes, he'll always be a representative of St. Louis, no matter where he goes to school, but if he really wants to be celebrated by St. Louis, then he would be best served to be a Billiken.

Thicks.   Like you, I don't have a dog in this fight... but don't portray Courtside as some moderate, middle of road kind of guy compared to Roy.  Neither are moderate or middle of the road kind of guys.  

Roy.  And to add, Courtside does a lot more than being an all know soccer guy (unlike you I enjoy soccer)  but also is all knowing and drowns out thought and discussion about other topics such as anything Marquette, Vanderbilt, 1970's Cardinal baseball history....

Crewsorlose likes this

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

i'm not asking him or anyone else to put themselves in the hughes family shoes.  i am asking him and everyone else on this board to selfishly be billiken fans.  

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

No, it isn't his family's decision. It is Larry Hughes II decision and his decision alone. I am sure he will collect info and input from his family, coaches, friends, schools, etc...before making his decision. If his decision is SLU that's great. if not, I won't be saying anything bad about him or the people about him. I won't hold a grudge against him or root against him. Good luck to him if that is the case and on to the next one. 

I am more interested in SLU' success than fielding a team of people I know, relatives of ex players, or having a roster filled entirely of local players. Whatever way success happens, whatever mixture that is of course.

Are you a fan of the 1-3-1 Roy? Did you think SLU needed to double the post more? Were you surprised that SLU had some challenges with Mitchell's length? Pretty encouraging for a Freshman. (Wait he doesn't play for SLU so perhaps I should say he was lucky and the refs were one sided) Big game for Jacobs don't you think. Pretty big 3 from the wing late to help SLU get back in it. 

i also don't feel the need to disaparage other hard working SLU athletes in other sports. Saying bad things about their sport isn't exactly being a SLU fan. Basketball is a great sport, good seeing Kap this weekend while he was in town for the game. He is always willing to promote SLU and St. Louis which is appreciated. But there are other enjoyable SLU sports too. He's always been a big Rick fan (wait you didn't like him, I keep forgetting which SLU coaches and players and teams to root for, I need a guide.)

Reminder, when you go see Hughes play Whitney Young Saturday in Highland , if you don't already have your tickets, none will be sold at the door, you can however get some online.

dlarry likes this

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Thicks.   Like you, I don't have a dog in this fight... but don't portray Courtside as some moderate, middle of road kind of guy compared to Roy.  Neither are moderate or middle of the road kind of guys.  

Roy.  And to add, Courtside does a lot more than being an all know soccer guy (unlike you I enjoy soccer)  but also is all knowing and drowns out thought and discussion about other topics such as anything Marquette, Vanderbilt, 1970's Cardinal baseball history....

Does this mean you won't be sending me any more private messages asking me for SLU recruiting updates as you have in recent weeks? 

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, courtside said:

Are you a fan of the 1-3-1 Roy? Did you think SLU needed to double the post more? Were you surprised that SLU had some challenges with Mitchell's length? Pretty encouraging for a Freshman. (Wait he doesn't play for SLU so perhaps I should say he was lucky and the refs were one sided) Big game for Jacobs don't you think. Pretty big 3 from the wing late to help SLU get back in it. 

glad you at least taped the game off fsmw.   that's a step in the right direction

1 hour ago, courtside said:

Does this mean you won't be sending me any more private messages asking me for SLU recruiting updates as you have in recent weeks? 

I gave u information on a local soccer kid who originally verballed to SLU, than you. 

I don't really get the direction this has gone. I'm just glad LHII is a "Junior" and therefore kinda hard to Google so he doesn't find this when he's looking himself up.

He's a 2022 priority for SLU. He's a really nice shooter, has a solid overall skill set, and has grown considerably. As others have said, he's nowhere near the athlete his father was - but those guys all have 5 stars next to their names and we aren't in the mix for them.

He has an offer, our staff goes to see him play, and I'm sure they're in constant contact with his coach and father.

SLU is doing what SLU can to land him. This staff isn't going to screw up his recruitment. If he doesn't come here, it's because he wants something else.

Schasz, courtside and Zink like this

33 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

I gave u information on a local soccer kid who originally verballed to SLU, than you. 

“Any word as to recruiting?”

”Do we have a talent gap still?”

”As to why our team has not had the success we wanted this year?”

etc...any of that ring a bell?

Did you go to the Roy school of lying? Tell a lie, repeat it over and over to muddy the waters and hope it is believed to be true by some over time.... And, completely disregard and ignored everything else presented.

These are a few of the types of reasons why some people have left the board over the years. 

5 minutes ago, courtside said:

Did you go to the Roy school of lying? Tell a lie, repeat it over and over to muddy the waters and hope it is believed to be true by some over time.... And, completely disregard and ignored everything else presented.

These are a few of the types of reasons why some people have left the board over the years. 

what did i lie about? 

you are a piece of work.   

2 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Can't we all get along 😥

Well, there are irrational adults on this board who believe that if you don't chastise an 18 year old for hypothetically not making the same college decision as his father then you're not a "true" Billiken fan, even if you regularly watch/attend games, graduated/go to the University, donate to the University, are involved in the University's alumni association, etc. etc... It's tough to get along swimmingly with people of that nature. 

On 1/3/2020 at 7:39 PM, courtside said:

Very good athlete, does not quite have his dad's level of explosive quick athleticism, not as flashy, but still very good. His dad had that Dwyane Wade level of explosiveness for comparison sake

Let's keep things in perspective.  Larry was very athletic and could show a quick athletic burst, but his competence came from his skills.  For an 18 year old Freshman he had incredible skills creating his own shots.  But he was in no way comparable to Dwayne Wade's explosiveness (I assume we are talking final year at Marquette).  Not many guys are.

Larry was more of a long, smooth, skilled player like a 1/2 ft. shorter Kevin Durant.  He could show you that explosiveness when he needed it but he didn't make it part of his game.  Wade could just dominate with his explosiveness.  He was fun to watch.  Too bad he couldn't get academically eligible to play in the 2000-2001 season.  I would loved to have watched him play at Savvis before I graduated.

3 hours ago, courtside said:

Lying?   Really?  An apology to me is in order - though I am not holding my breath.

The rest of the Board naturally does not care, but yes, I started a PM with you on November 22nd to let you know (in that you had been posting soccer info) about a local big name soccer kid who had just changed his mind from SLU to another school.    You responded with?  "Soccer?.. " so I presumed that you had not yet heard this and then proceeded giving me info about other kids for which I was appreciative.  In return, yes, I did ask you above questions.  Never said I didn't.

And again, most of this Board does not care about soccer and I thought it best not to publicly mention the local kid's name - hence the private message.   But for you to say I lied?  I lied to you? Lied about what?   Yes, I admit that I asked the above questions after providing you with what I thought was breaking scoop on the SLU soccer recruiting front which I do not believe had  been made public (though I could  be wrong but which I had not seen in print).  If anything, your leaving that part out could be considered lying - though again, I would never say that.  

You must really have issues.   If you are worried that I recently contacted you recently by PM to give you info and then asked you if you had heard anything new in return, you sure did not indicate the same to me.  Though rest assured, now that you have exposed yourself for who your are, no more PM's will come from me to you.