Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i get the impression watching body language and visitors that isnt the case currently.  (they sit 10 seats from me)  that said, you can bet the better he gets the more the big boys will try to tell him that he doesnt want to follow in larry's footsteps.   

Hopefully Tatum jr shares some insight on recruiting to Jr 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally speaking, for me, recruiting is an inside out approach, which includes all not some of the following, local, regional, national, international. Some coaches may have relationships with certain people, geographies etc....

If a player is good enough and fits, recruit the player.....as long as there is mutual interest.  

Hughes is only a Soph, he has had a nice growth spurt to which he is still adjusting. There is time.

Getting in early helps, having the relationship helps. Ford of course understands all of this. I would always tell a kid to explore all options and choose the best fit for yourself. If that is SLU, great, if not, good luck to any young man in the situation. For SLU it is all about trying to become a top 25 program however you can do it. This includes, but is not limited to local recruiting and SLU family recruiting.

I believe Hughes' recruitment will pick up next summer as he continues to improve and get experience and I believe there will be plenty of high major attention. No reason to think SLU wouldn't be a legit player to land him. And, the world won't end if somewhere else is a better fit. Until then keep recruiting him for SLU hoping to land him, and see what happens as again, he is only a Soph. No recruit is a must get. 

11 minutes ago, courtside said:

I would always tell a kid to explore all options and choose the best fit for yourself.

i would never say that.    i would say, "you need be a billiken".  flash a smile that let them know it is great to be a billiken.

in larry jr's case he already knows that.  

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i would never say that.    i would say, "you need be a billiken".  flash a smile that let them know it is great to be a billiken.

in larry jr's case he already knows that.  

If I am recruiting at SLU I would recruit the player to the best ability presenting all SLU has to offer. I would hope to get a commitment from the player. If the player no longer showed interest, or chose elsewhere, I would say good luck and move on to other targets.

If I am a friend, dad, family, prep coach etc .. I would encourage any player to choose the best fit for him herself.

In general no one player is a must get. You hear that sometimes. That is nonsense. There will always be good players.

Sometimes you may also hear about recruiting local players. Again, I am all for that and it certainly makes sense as long as a kid is good enough and shows interest. SLU recruits kids every year in every sport that come from other geographies in addition to St. Louis. Whatever it takes, whatever is successful. There are a wide variety of ways to win. You can't say stay home with local recruits and then say to out of area recruits, don't stay home go here instead without sounding hypocritical. But it"s part of recruiting of course. Every kid is different and has different interests. 

5 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I never said anything about staying home or not.   I said, 

"You need to be a billiken".

But he doesn’t “need” to be a Billiken.

SLU, “we” would like him to be a Billiken if the fit is there for both, yes. (good enough, interest, can be successful at your dad’s school, all of those things) But if he chose elsewhere, good luck to him. He’d be fine. SLU would be fine.

13 minutes ago, courtside said:

SLU, “we” would like him to be a Billiken if the fit is there for both, yes. (good enough, interest, can be successful at your dad’s school, all of those things) But if he chose elsewhere, good luck to him. He’d be fine. SLU would be fine.

Just like son of his coach. I can't imagine us not wanting him if he's getting this much attention and having 20 point games as a sophomore. 

28 minutes ago, courtside said:

Thats the difference between you and me.   Im a true billiken fan that cares about the billikens first and foremost.   

TheA_Bomb likes this

10 minutes ago, almaman said:

Just like son of his coach. I can't imagine us not wanting him if he's getting this much attention and having 20 point games as a sophomore. 

SLU is recruiting him yes, and his suitors will keep increasing in both quantity and quality, yes. If he wants to go to SLU, there will be a place for him, yes. Anything can always happen of course but that is how it is now and will likely be moving forward. He probably would have a place even if he weren't good enough or was a reach etc...but he'll be plenty good enough to play at SLU. 

Crewsorlose likes this

Living in FL tough to follow Larry Hughes Jr. So I ask those that have seen him...does he have a chance to follow in his Dad's footsteps being a one and done 5 Star? We were living in Seattle area when Larry Sr played for the Bills. Got to see him against Marquette and if memory serves me he went off for something like 40 points. Then when he came to Key Arena saw him play for 76ers. Remember cheering for him when he would hit a shot, and someone turned and asked...did you go to SLU?

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

Thats the difference between you and me.   Im a true billiken fan that cares about the billikens first and foremost.   

Here's the difference Roy. I am all about letting a kid make his own choice in life. Do all of your homework etc and make the best choice for yourself. 

What if an elite recruit from a different geography wanted to attend SLU? What if that kid had a dad who was a star college player somewhere else? You would be very happy to have that kid at SLU because he was good. It wouldn't bother you if he didn't attend his dad's school. He wouldn't need to go to his dad's school in that example. I also don't hold animosity towards local kids that choose other schools. Good luck to say... Luke Kasubke for example at K-St. I won't be cheering for K-St. But, I also wouldn't be holding a grudge or animosity either. I'd be indifferent and on to the next recruit and cheering for the SLU team. 

1 minute ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I'll ask the question again.  How does Larry Hughes II compare athletically to his dad?

I'm just asking for the information.  It's not saying whether he's good enough or "too good" for SLU.  I just would like to know they compare.

Very good athlete, does not quite have his dad's level of explosive quick athleticism, not as flashy, but still very good. His dad had that Dwyane Wade level of explosiveness for comparison sake. 

He used to be a very skilled (good handle, passer etc.) for his age sub six feet point guard who is now 6'3 6'4 big growth spurt the past few years. He is still adjusting to it. He is not quite his dad's length but closer to it now than what he was before which was nothing like his dad's build. As a Soph with a big growth spurt, it's an adjustment. And so far so good for him with it too.

He is going to get good offers from top 25 programs. 

14 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Living in FL tough to follow Larry Hughes Jr. So I ask those that have seen him...does he have a chance to follow in his Dad's footsteps being a one and done 5 Star? We were living in Seattle area when Larry Sr played for the Bills. Got to see him against Marquette and if memory serves me he went off for something like 40 points. Then when he came to Key Arena saw him play for 76ers. Remember cheering for him when he would hit a shot, and someone turned and asked...did you go to SLU?

Right now is all I can go by ....and he is not a one and done 5 star right now. However if he can be a 6'5 player with elite skills at the 1,2 and even 3, with an elite jumper...things could always change. He will be a very good 4 star recruit for sure.

(His dad torched Mike Bargen for 40 on the road that game.)

2 hours ago, courtside said:

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

The difference is one of you sounds like a reasonable adult Billiken fan, the other sounds like an a-hole.

1 hour ago, courtside said:

Very good athlete, does not quite have his dad's level of explosive quick athleticism, not as flashy, but still very good. His dad had that Dwyane Wade level of explosiveness for comparison sake. 

He used to be a very skilled (good handle, passer etc.) for his age sub six feet point guard who is now 6'3 6'4 big growth spurt the past few years. He is still adjusting to it. He is not quite his dad's length but closer to it now than what he was before which was nothing like his dad's build. As a Soph with a big growth spurt, it's an adjustment. And so far so good for him with it too.

He is going to get good offers from top 25 programs. 

Thanks for the report.

Some of Larry Sr.'s explosiveness was because of that Strength Training Shoe, right?

13 hours ago, courtside said:

Here's the difference Roy. I am all about letting a kid make his own choice in life. Do all of your homework etc and make the best choice for yourself. 

What if an elite recruit from a different geography wanted to attend SLU? What if that kid had a dad who was a star college player somewhere else? You would be very happy to have that kid at SLU because he was good. It wouldn't bother you if he didn't attend his dad's school. He wouldn't need to go to his dad's school in that example. I also don't hold animosity towards local kids that choose other schools. Good luck to say... Luke Kasubke for example at K-St. I won't be cheering for K-St. But, I also wouldn't be holding a grudge or animosity either. I'd be indifferent and on to the next recruit and cheering for the SLU team. 

no you are not a billiken.   a true billiken fan has blinders.   so unless you are young larry's parents, you showed your loyalty in this thread.   you are at most a very casual billiken fan.  

17 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

no you are not a billiken.   a true billiken fan has blinders.   so unless you are young larry's parents, you showed your loyalty in this thread.   you are at most a very casual billiken fan.  

Jesus, Roy, for once in your life get off your high horse and give it a rest.  We all already know you're a better Billikens fan than everyone else.

dlarry and Littlebill like this

13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

This is pretty bad, even for you Roy. I am wondering if someone else has taken over your account here. But it is really just a continuation of the free pass you have received here for a long time. I'll let the other posters give their opinions and feedback.

Guess what, you will get your chance to go see Hughes play next Saturday. Don't worry, it's been arranged so that you won't have to travel out of state or even across the river. 👍 

dlarry likes this

1 hour ago, courtside said:

This is pretty bad, even for you Roy. I am wondering if someone else has taken over your account here. But it is really just a continuation of the free pass you have received here for a long time. I'll let the other posters give their opinions and feedback.

Guess what, you will get your chance to go see Hughes play next Saturday. Don't worry, it's been arranged so that you won't have to travel out of state or even across the river. 👍 

Don’t worry if being a “true Billiken fan” means acting like Roy you don’t want it...no one would.

The topic of discussion is billiken fandom.   Im not talking about whats pleasant and civil and accepted by the hughes family.   But as a billiken fan imo you better want 100% for a natural billiken target like larry hughes jr to become a billiken.   If not, well as i said above you are not a billiken fan first and foremost.  

Am i over the top?  Maybe, but GD maybe if billiken nation raised the temperature a little bit more that might help the overall cause.   Quit being so f'ing nice and insist on all things billiken.    

TheA_Bomb likes this