Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, thetorch said:

Martin is the real deal.  Best player in STL in his class.  

Definitely the best guard to this point.  Damien Mayo, the 6'2 shooting guard out of Chaminade, has a chance to be good if he can develop a reliable jumper.  He already has the body. 

The only guy that projects as a top 100 player right now is 6'8 Tarris Reed, also out of Chaminade.  He'll have multiple Big 10 offers when it's all said and done.  Chaminade and CBC are hoarding the talent in this class.

31 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Yurimania II? 

Looks like it could be but he's actually got a nice shot for a frosh in HS.  Seems to have good vision and one thing that always makes me feel like a kid puts in the work necessary to get better. He finishes with the left from the left and the right from the right at least from what I just watched. This doesn't just happen naturally, he worked at it. 

22 hours ago, thetorch said:

Martin is the real deal.  Best player in STL in his class.  

Well, if we land him. We're gonna have to come up with a moniker. Can't use Martinmania, that's Yuri's. Give it some thought. I'd love to see us with two magicians at PG! 

On 10/4/2019 at 10:29 PM, Bills_06 said:

Looks like Robert Martin from CBC got an offer.  Two CBC offers to 2022 kids two days in a row.  Can tell he is a big fan of Saint Louis University University

What else would you expect? He goes to Christian Brothers College High School.

By the way, I can't figure out what's going on with his Twitter. He tweeted this from @robmartin (how'd he get that handle this late?), but also has @robdmartin22 and some of his teammates follow that one. He isn't super active and I know the kids mostly use Snapchat now but it's a bit confusing.

Current Martin bio:

Rob Martin - PG, 5-10, 160 - St. Louis, MO (CBC) - AAU: Brad Beal Elite (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @robmartin or @robdmartin22
Offers: Saint Louis.

Interest: Kansas State, Tulsa, SIU-Carbondale, Louisiana-Monroe.

Latest News: Martin received an offer from SLU. (10/7/19)

Scouting Report: Martin is a skilled point guard with a complete game at both ends. He's an excellent facilitator with a great feel for the game, leadership qualities, natural instincts, good handles, and high-level passing ability. He's also a very good scorer who loves to play in transition and can break down defenders off the dribble with either hand. He can shoot it from the perimeter, as well. He's a great decision maker and plays with poise and confidence.

-His height may work to our advantage if he doesn't hit a huge growth spurt.

On 10/6/2019 at 9:02 AM, 3star_recruit said:

Definitely the best guard to this point.  Damien Mayo, the 6'2 shooting guard out of Chaminade, has a chance to be good if he can develop a reliable jumper.  He already has the body. 

The only guy that projects as a top 100 player right now is 6'8 Tarris Reed, also out of Chaminade.  He'll have multiple Big 10 offers when it's all said and done.  Chaminade and CBC are hoarding the talent in this class.

Speaking of Reed, he just picked up an offer from Nebraska and attended the noteworthy Late Night at the Phog event with Davion Bradford. This could end up being a pretty big class in STL if some of these guys continue on their current trajectories.

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Speaking of Reed, he just picked up an offer from Nebraska and attended the noteworthy Late Night at the Phog event with Davion Bradford. This could end up being a pretty big class in STL if some of these guys continue on their current trajectories.

Mayo was on the visit with Reed to Nebraska as well. He didn't get an offer but he is on their radar.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Mayo was on the visit with Reed to Nebraska as well. He didn't get an offer but he is on their radar.

I think his only offer so far is SIUE, which just happened last week. Not sure who else is keeping tabs on him, though.

So, it seems to me that this is the class that would turn us into a Xavier type program if we have sustained success over the next few years.  Win first, snag guys out of this class with the help of our esteemed former player Mr. Hughes, and then become the sustainable top program we've been waiting for.  I think that has to be Ford's plan when looking ahead.

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

28 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

So, it seems to me that this is the class that would turn us into a Xavier type program if we have sustained success over the next few years.  Win first, snag guys out of this class with the help of our esteemed former player Mr. Hughes, and then become the sustainable top program we've been waiting for.  I think that has to be Ford's plan when looking ahead.

I'm curious why you think this. 2022 is a solid class but nothing special historically.

5 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm curious why you think this. 2022 is a solid class but nothing special historically.

This senior class is very good.  Jr and sophomore classes are average.  The freshman class looks to be the next loaded group.

23 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

We got good local players last year.  We didn't this year.  This shows that getting the best local players, or some of the best local players, to stay is not a given even with Ford's great recruiting.  The 2022 class seems like the next best shot we have to pull in a good class of local guys.  My point was that if we have had sustained success all the way up until those guys are committing, then we should get a good group of locals and are in a position to continue our sustained success.  It was more a comment about the timing of it all rather than how good that class is.

Also, if a guy is "special historically" I don't count on him staying at home even if we are a higher level program.  I'm happy with making success out of guys like Goodwin, Yuri, Hargrove, etc. than to be always holding onto hope for the elite guys.

3star_recruit and bauman like this

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 12:58 PM, cgeldmacher said:

We got good local players last year.  We didn't this year.  This shows that getting the best local players, or some of the best local players, to stay is not a given even with Ford's great recruiting.  The 2022 class seems like the next best shot we have to pull in a good class of local guys.  My point was that if we have had sustained success all the way up until those guys are committing, then we should get a good group of locals and are in a position to continue our sustained success.  It was more a comment about the timing of it all rather than how good that class is.

Also, if a guy is "special historically" I don't count on him staying at home even if we are a higher level program.  I'm happy with making success out of guys like Goodwin, Yuri, Hargrove, etc. than to be always holding onto hope for the elite guys.

cgeld 

I generally agree with your thoughts; however, I don’t believe you can make conclusions about the local recruiting classes based on this years lack of local signings - our 1 signing this Fall. 
  As you know, we have no seniors other than graduate transfer Weaver, we have 6 other new faces who are a true freshman and we have relative unknowns in returning sophomores Jacobs and Hankton. Our only known players are French and Goodwin who also will return next year. Other than Weaver, these guys are direct competition with any incoming freshmen. Yes, next year Seniors Goodwin and French are not scaring off incoming freshmen recruits (sitting behind Seniors is normal) - but I suspect our 3 Sophs and 6 Frosh are. 
   We are not a given each year for the NCAA tournament and we have not broken through to establish ourselves as a regular elite basketball program. As such we are still selling playing time and opportunity. And this Fall, we do not have much playing time or opportunity to sell. Not sure we can read into this year‘s Fall recruiting class anymore than that. 
    Now a year from now, those recruits (local and otherwise) will be looking at our roster saying that French and Goodwin will be gone, our current 3 sophomores will be Seniors and our 6 Frosh will be Juniors and halfway finished as well = playing time and opportunity again!

On 10/20/2019 at 8:18 AM, Clock_Tower said:

cgeld 

I generally agree with your thoughts; however, I don’t believe you can make conclusions about the local recruiting classes based on this years lack of local signings - our 1 signing this Fall. 
  As you know, we have no seniors other than graduate transfer Weaver, we have 6 other new faces who are a true freshman and we have relative unknowns in returning sophomores Jacobs and Hankton. Our only known players are French and Goodwin who also will return next year. Other than Weaver, these guys are direct competition with any incoming freshmen. Yes, next year Seniors Goodwin and French are not scaring off incoming freshmen recruits (sitting behind Seniors is normal) - but I suspect our 3 Sophs and 6 Frosh are. 
   We are not a given each year for the NCAA tournament and we have not broken through to establish ourselves as a regular elite basketball program. As such we are still selling playing time and opportunity. And this Fall, we do not have much playing time or opportunity to sell. Not sure we can read into this year‘s Fall recruiting class anymore than that. 
    Now a year from now, those recruits (local and otherwise) will be looking at our roster saying that French and Goodwin will be gone, our current 3 sophomores will be Seniors and our 6 Frosh will be Juniors and halfway finished as well = playing time and opportunity again!

I totally agree.  I thought of that same issue.  I think that programs in our present tier (best word I could come up with) have to deal with issues like playing time availability.  I don't think that programs like Gonzaga, Xavier, or Villanova have to deal with that problem quite as much as Ford does.  I'm hoping that a combination of consistent success and being able to regularly pull top talent from St. Louis will start to make that issue much easier for Ford.  I think it has to start with the success side before it translates over to the recruiting side.  If have a few years of making the tournament under our belt (perhaps 3 out of 4 years) and then we get some good local talent out of the 2022 class, this will be a sign, IMO, of better things to come.