Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

17 hours ago, willie said:

Why do people on this board think that kids of our former players will want to play for their fathers school. Seems to me most good players don't end up at their parents school. I would be interested in seeing a lot of examples of where this is wrong. 

Compiled from this list of 2nd generation NBA players:

John & David Stockton at (Gonzaga)

Ron & Ronnie Brewer (Arkansas)

Patrick & Pat Ewing (Georgetown) - Jr transfered to G-Town from Indiana

Matt Guokas SrJr, & III (St Josephs)

Frank & Luke Kornet (Vanderbilt)

Roy & Devyn Marble (Iowa)

Jim Paxson Sr & Jr (Dayton) - Although perhaps more famous son John played for Notre Dame

Gary Payton & II (Oregon State)

Leo & Andy Rautins (Syracuse)

Collis Jr, III & Garret Temple (LSU)

Michael & Joseph Young (Houston) - Joseph started at Houston, but transferred to Oregon

Keep in mind this is only a list of instances where both father & son went on to have stints in the NBA (or similar league: BAA, NBL, or old ABA).  I'm sure there are ton of other instances where the son was a good/great player, but both didn't play in the NBA (the Tatums are an excellent example of a father son duo who would not show up on the list that used to see if father/son went to the same school).  Also, I'm sure there are examples, but I can't think of any father/son duos in SLU history.

Takeaway: sons do follow in the father's footsteps sometimes for college.  I'd imagine their preference/ability to do so probably has to do with many factors (relationship w father, father's relationship w alma mater/coach, son's talent level, prestige of father's school, etc.).  I'd also imagine that in most cases being the father's alma mater is likely a plus for a school recruiting the son, but it usually isn't the deciding factor.  It is a fun / interesting thing for fans to consider though, so I the board will continue to put a (perhaps unjustifiable) focus on recruiting sons of former Billikens.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Compiled from this list of 2nd generation NBA players:

John & David Stockton at (Gonzaga)

Ron & Ronnie Brewer (Arkansas)

Patrick & Pat Ewing (Georgetown) - Jr transfered to G-Town from Indiana

Matt Guokas SrJr, & III (St Josephs)

Frank & Luke Kornet (Vanderbilt)

Roy & Devyn Marble (Iowa)

Jim Paxson Sr & Jr (Dayton) - Although perhaps more famous son John played for Notre Dame

Gary Payton & II (Oregon State)

Leo & Andy Rautins (Syracuse)

Collis Jr, III & Garret Temple (LSU)

Michael & Joseph Young (Houston) - Joseph started at Houston, but transferred to Oregon

Keep in mind this is only a list of instances where both father & son went on to have stints in the NBA (or similar league: BAA, NBL, or old ABA).  I'm sure there are ton of other instances where the son was a good/great player, but both didn't play in the NBA (the Tatums are an excellent example of a father son duo who would not show up on the list that used to see if father/son went to the same school).  Also, I'm sure there are examples, but I can't think of any father/son duos in SLU history.

Takeaway: sons do follow in the father's footsteps sometimes for college.  I'd imagine their preference/ability to do so probably has to do with many factors (relationship w father, father's relationship w alma mater/coach, son's talent level, prestige of father's school, etc.).  I'd also imagine that in most cases being the father's alma mater is likely a plus for a school recruiting the son, but it usually isn't the deciding factor.  It is a fun / interesting thing for fans to consider though, so I the board will continue to put a (perhaps unjustifiable) focus on recruiting sons of former Billikens.

I'd also guess that son follows father more often if it's the local school. 

• 3 months later...

(Discussion from 2020 thread being picked up here. Below is what I just posted there.)

Jaycob Tatum (Justin's next son) is a freshman at CBC but not on the varsity roster. Hughes, Jr. is his classmate but hasn't played yet (not sure why). Martin right now looks like one of the best two freshmen in the area after Luther Burden (Ritter), who is also a big-time football prospect and already has 4 D-I offers to play football. He missed the first 6 games for Ritter because their football team made a run to the state finals. That's also why Ritter's record is poor (albeit against a really tough schedule); the roster was decimated by football.

Martin's numbers weren't much last night but he's been solid so far this season and his averages have been creeping upward. He seems like a really solid PG.

Zink and Matty Light like this

Did a full refresh on the Recruiting Lists page. Not much 2022 news except that Luther Burden is now playing basketball. He's got 3 games under his belt and hasn't put up numbers yet (3.0 PPG), but he's a freshman adjusting later than he would otherwise be. He's also up to 6 football offers now, with Illinois and Virginia Tech the latest.

Also, if anyone knows who about other 2022 prospects who haven't already been mentioned in this thread, please post here.

• 3 months later...

Burden got an invite to USA Basketball training camp.  This is pretty big for a couple of reasons.   First, obviously it is a statement about his abilities.  Second, this could have a big impact on how he looks at the basketball vs football decision.  This means he is now going to be exposed to the NBA player development people year round while in the USA Basketball program.  If the NBA people are telling him he has a future in the NBA, you would have to think it would have a big impact on what sport to focus on. This is the first year the NBA has played this big of a role in Junior National Team program.

Coach314 and Pistol like this

On 3/26/2019 at 11:01 AM, brianstl said:

Burden got an invite to USA Basketball training camp.  This is pretty big for a couple of reasons.   First, obviously it is a statement about his abilities.  Second, this could have a big impact on how he looks at the basketball vs football decision.  This means he is now going to be exposed to the NBA player development people year round while in the USA Basketball program.  If the NBA people are telling him he has a future in the NBA, you would have to think it would have a big impact on what sport to focus on. This is the first year the NBA has played this big of a role in Junior National Team program.

His development is going to be interesting to watch. You don't see multi-sport athletes of his caliber much anymore.

He has 14 football offers; none for basketball yet, but they generally don't start happening until the summer before sophomore year, anyway - and even then it's another year before they really pick up. Football is different.

• 1 month later...

#22 for BBE is their star, Brandon Miller out of Cane Ridge HS in Nashville. I know it's early, but he's considered a 5-star recruit, a top-20 player in the 2022 class. He's the only out-of-towner on the squad.

Second leading scorer for them so far this season seems to be Alpha Chibambe (21) from STL Christian.

Hughes (11) looks like he has a smooth game and nice shooting touch. We didn't get to see much of him at CBC this year so it's good to see him doing well for BBE. He looked like his dad going to his left on that mid-range jumper at about 3:10. Rob Martin (3) is small, but he played quite a bit for CBC this past season. He's crafty. Looks great here.

I'm pretty sure #25 is Tyson Ford from John Burroughs.

It's impressive for these guys to beat LeBron James Jr. in front of his very vocal dad, the most famous basketball player in the world, when none of them are old enough to drive yet.

for those of you that know the younger aau scene better, who is the bigger kid for bradley beal elite in the video?   he appears to be a nice nice player. 

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

for those of you that know the younger aau scene better, who is the bigger kid for bradley beal elite in the video?   he appears to be a nice nice player. 

Which one? The one scoring the most, or the bigger-bodied kid later in the clip? The star is #22, Brandon Miller. #25 is Tyson Ford from Burroughs. There are also some clips of #21, Alpha Chibambe from STL Christian. They're all about 6-5 to 6-6 now, but all with different body types.

52 minutes ago, Pistol said:

#22 for BBE is their star, Brandon Miller out of Cane Ridge HS in Nashville. I know it's early, but he's considered a 5-star recruit, a top-20 player in the 2022 class. He's the only out-of-towner on the squad.

Second leading scorer for them so far this season seems to be Alpha Chibambe (21) from STL Christian.

Hughes (11) looks like he has a smooth game and nice shooting touch. We didn't get to see much of him at CBC this year so it's good to see him doing well for BBE. He looked like his dad going to his left on that mid-range jumper at about 3:10. Rob Martin (3) is small, but he played quite a bit for CBC this past season. He's crafty. Looks great here.

I'm pretty sure #25 is Tyson Ford from John Burroughs.

It's impressive for these guys to beat LeBron James Jr. in front of his very vocal dad, the most famous basketball player in the world, when none of them are old enough to drive yet.

-I'm guessing he was hurt, any idea what the injury was? or if not injured why didn't play? 

9 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I'm guessing he was hurt, any idea what the injury was? or if not injured why didn't play? 

I was just about to asked, my first thought was he must just not be very good, then I saw this video. 

7 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

Not sure. He's only a freshman, so it may have been as simple as depth keeping him out of the lineup. CBC graduates 8 seniors. They're going to be very good again next season with Caleb Love as a senior, and Martin, Hughes, Eric Holmes (also on Hughes' 15U BBE team), and Chevalier Brenson.

But he didn't play until later in the season and only appeared briefly in a few games, so maybe he was dealing with an injury or something. Regardless, it's nothing to be worried about now if he's healthy and contributing on a very good 15U AAU team.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Which one? The one scoring the most, or the bigger-bodied kid later in the clip? The star is #22, Brandon Miller. #25 is Tyson Ford from Burroughs. There are also some clips of #21, Alpha Chibambe from STL Christian. They're all about 6-5 to 6-6 now, but all with different body types.

22 is the one that really caught my eye.  so where does brandon miller go to high school?

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

22 is the one that really caught my eye.  so where does brandon miller go to high school?

Cane Ridge HS in Nashville. Like James Wiseman a couple seasons ago, he's a Nashville kid playing for BBE. Not sure if he'll stick with BBE down the road, though. He's the only non-STL area kid on the team currently.

He's the top-ranked player out of Tennessee for 2022 and ESPN has him as the #15 player nationally.

35 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Not sure. He's only a freshman, so it may have been as simple as depth keeping him out of the lineup. CBC graduates 8 seniors. They're going to be very good again next season with Caleb Love as a senior, and Martin, Hughes, Eric Holmes (also on Hughes' 15U BBE team), and Chevalier Brenson.

But he didn't play until later in the season and only appeared briefly in a few games, so maybe he was dealing with an injury or something. Regardless, it's nothing to be worried about now if he's healthy and contributing on a very good 15U AAU team.

Played JV for most of the year.  No injury that I know of. 

Pistol likes this

40 minutes ago, Pistol said:

He is still very slender - Tatum might keep him out because of that

I assume folks are speculating about some sort of injury due to the brace on his right knee. He looked really good despite the knee brace likely indicating he is not at full strength/speed.

But yeah, #22 is clearly the baller on the squad.

Interesting that ESPN has Miller ranked as the 15th ranked player in his class, but Luther Burden is the kid in that class playing up one year for BBE.

Burden is going to have some interesting decisions to make going forward.  He is now part of the US National program in basketball and he received his 16th football offer last night from Wisconsin.

45 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Interesting that ESPN has Miller ranked as the 15th ranked player in his class, but Luther Burden is the kid in that class playing up one year for BBE.

Burden is going to have some interesting decisions make going forward.  He is now part of the US National program in basketball and he received his 16th football offer last night from Wisconsin.

There's also a 2022 kid named Nick Smith from Arkansas playing up on the BBE 16U team with Burden.

And you're absolutely right. Burden seems like the prize player of the STL 2022 class in football, and has a chance to end up as the top basketball prospect as well (Miller would still be higher ranked, but he's from Nashville, anyway). It's not super rare to have solid two-sport athletes but Burden is a major talent in both sports and it's rare to have someone so high-caliber in both.

23 hours ago, brianstl said:

Burden is going to have some interesting decisions to make going forward.  He is now part of the US National program in basketball and he received his 16th football offer last night from Wisconsin.

Interesting move indeed regarding Miller. Especially considering 16U has an opportunity to make Peach Jam

brianstl likes this

• 1 month later...

Saw these 2 very tall kids at the local YMCA.  Turns out they are sophomores to be at a local HS.  Being helped this Summer by a local guy who once played NBA D league.  Kids are 15 and 16 and stand 7'2" and 6'10".  Will definitely go to a few games with my SLU shirt on.

20190619_160948.jpg