Ingvi on live

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, NextYearBill said:

nice to watch live stream of a Billiken recruit play internationally.... I've had to watch Russian pirate feeds of the actual team play locally 

If you watched Russian pirate feeds, I would suggest a thorough sweep of your computer including root malaware. Just saying.

Boxscore: http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u20/2018/game/1607/Iceland-Italy#tab=overview

Feed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J81qw-vDIM

Iceland look overmatched again. I can't imagine this one will be close. Regardless, good experience for Ingvi and I'm looking forward to getting him to SLU in a few weeks.

20 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Not one player on Iceland's roster has a last name that doesn't end with "son."

Yeah, that's just how they do it.

Ingvi now has 6 points on 2-4 shooting from the perimeter. He had a nice layup over a much taller defender called off because of an illegal screen. Has 2 steals. Hasn't come out yet this half.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, that's just how they do it.

Ingvi now has 6 points on 2-4 shooting from the perimeter. He had a nice layup over a much taller defender called off because of an illegal screen. Has 2 steals. Hasn't come out yet this half.

Ingvi's child will be either Ingvisson or Ingvisdottir if my understanding is correct

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Ingvi's child will be either Ingvisson or Ingvisdottir if my understanding is correct

I believe so.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Italy has some talent.

Yeah, they're big and pretty solid.

Ingvi just attempted a shot from at least 30 feet away, probably more like 33-34. Front rim, but it wasn't a bad looking shot. Then he missed another off the dribble.

He looks the part. I've been saying all along his numbers from FIBA play and the Dominos League probably won't translate due to differences in style, rules, etc. But there's clearly some good potential here. He's skilled.

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Thanks, Pistol, for making me hip to that.

So it's not really a last name in the sense of Western culture's use of a family name.  Only a man's brothers or a woman's sisters would have the same apparent last name.  It hearkens back to the Biblical format of "So-and-so, son of What's-his-name."

3 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Thanks, Pistol, for making me hip to that.

So it's not really a last name in the sense of Western culture's use of a family name.  Only a man's brothers or a woman's sisters would have the same apparent last name.  It hearkens back to the Biblical format of "So-and-so, son of What's-his-name."

It's easier to pull off in a small, relatively contained country but apparently makes it difficult when Icelandic families move around internationally.

Ingvi has been on the bench most of the 4th quarter. Italy is up 80-49, so I don't know if he's getting back in.

Ingvi played a little over 8 minutes each half, mostly in the first and third quarters, in an 81-54 loss. He went 2-7 from the field, 2-6 from 3, with 3 rebounds, 0 assists, 2 steals, and 2 turnovers. Not a whole lot to be drawn from this except that he passes the eye test and got some solid game experience against stronger competition. Even with Iceland's early exit happening as expected, I think he's due to arrive in St. Louis in the first week of August.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Italy up 42-28 at half. Not sure why, but Ingvi has only played 8 minutes. He's not in foul trouble. Anyway, he's got 3 points and 3 rebounds.

He also had a nice pull-up three. I think they gave the bench guys some extra run today, as they’d already been eliminated, hence his reduced minutes total. Anyway, he looks like a guy who can play in the A10. 

Edit: Jk, not eliminated. But I think they were locked into the last seed?

Iceland moves onto bracket play.  They will play the winner of Group C, (currently Germany who plays last place in Group Romania later today), on Wednesday. 

There is a losers bracket in the tourney, so Ingvi and Iceland will have at least four more games.  They play until the full 1-16 bracket is finalized.

http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u20/2018/fullschedule

I stand corrected. I figured a last-place finish in group play meant they were done. Didn't realize all 16 advanced. So yeah, guess we'll see him again Wednesday.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

I stand corrected. I figured a last-place finish in group play meant they were done. Didn't realize all 16 advanced. So yeah, guess we'll see him again Wednesday.

7 minutes ago, almaman said:

Really! Why do they even keep score.

I'm not fully sure on this, but I don't think all 16 teams "advanced."  They probably set up four new pools based on standings from the first round of pool play.  Probably the top half play to advance to championship rounds of elimination play while the bottom half plays for "classification" rounds.  By the time they're finished, they'll determine 1-16.