open practice-midnight madness

papal

1 hour ago, papal said:

Any word on open practice?  Would love to see newcomers.  I presume there can be no official team practices with coaching staff until October.  ?Midnight madness-would be exciting this year

I wonder if Travis would stage a midnight madness? He might be worried no students would show up. Of course, a free pizza, beer, and t-shirt tailgate party before hand might bring them out of the library. Or lie to them and tell them ESPN's gonna televise it.

joe_davola likes this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I wonder if Travis would stage a midnight madness? He might be worried no students would show up. Of course, a free pizza, beer, and t-shirt tailgate party before hand might bring them out of the library. Or lie to them and tell them ESPN's gonna televise it.

The problem is two fold: the athletic department does a poor job promoting these sorts of events to students, and the rest of the University doesn't really promote them at all.

There's just a significant lack of school spirit and support for Billiken basketball right now, hopefully it can get back to 2012-2013 levels. I think you just need to flush the past 4 undergrad classes out because they haven't seen anything but piss poor basketball and don't really have any interest in the program right now. You need to start fresh and get the incoming freshmen excited about the future. 

9 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

The problem is two fold: the athletic department does a poor job promoting these sorts of events to students, and the rest of the University doesn't really promote them at all.

There's just a significant lack of school spirit and support for Billiken basketball right now, hopefully it can get back to 2012-2013 levels. I think you just need to flush the past 4 undergrad classes out because they haven't seen anything but piss poor basketball and don't really have any interest in the program right now. You need to start fresh and get the incoming freshmen excited about the future. 

it is my opinion this all starts at the top.   our BoT for the most part is not athletic minded at all.   which means the basketball program suffers for all aspects.   yes we have a couple of BoT members that are big billiken fans, but for the most part they are in the minority.  

44 minutes ago, willie said:

Does anybody do midnight madness anymore? Isn't that something of 20 years ago. 

Most of the power schools do midnight madness - but more as a recruiting tool than something for the fans.  Indiana for example brings in their top 5-7 targets for Hoosier Hysteria every year as part of their OV.  

1 hour ago, Billikid said:

I don't know if it'll happen but a midnight madness was on the SLUnatics agenda for this upcoming year. Last year was a no go but that was, well, last year.

Hold on, this is mind blowing. The athletic department pawned midnight madness on Slunatics 

On 7/11/2018 at 5:25 PM, billikenfan05 said:

Hold on, this is mind blowing. The athletic department pawned midnight madness on Slunatics 

Eh, it was more like there just hadn't been any movement on the front so we tried to get the ball rolling but it wasn't the time. But what I believe your implication to be is right, in order to have a legit Midnight Madness (at least to the proportion I'm imagining) the department would have to be full-on behind it and throwing money at it. SLUnatics can put some boots on the ground but at the end of the day the $ has to move.

1 hour ago, Billikid said:

Eh, it was more like there just hadn't been any movement on the front so we tried to get the ball rolling but it wasn't the time. But what I believe your implication to be is right, in order to have a legit Midnight Madness (at least to the proportion I'm imagining) the department would have to be full-on behind it and throwing money at it. SLUnatics can put some boots on the ground but at the end of the day the $ has to move.

Keep fighting the good fight @Billikid. Any movement on 05's suggestion of singing the newly unearthed "Varsity Song" with the team after games? 

3 hours ago, prebilliken said:

Keep fighting the good fight @Billikid. Any movement on 05's suggestion of singing the newly unearthed "Varsity Song" with the team after games? 

Thanks! And it's been passed on to the new board. Ultimately, it will come down to the students on the Gameday Committee and how/if they wanna coordinate it next year when it comes time. The new board has been meeting over the summer within themselves and with athletics about SLU101 and planning soccer and bball sched's so they may not have discussed it yet but possibly sooner than we may expect.

Fair warning though, I just graduated so my finger may not be on the pulse of the SLUnatics in too long.

On 7/13/2018 at 2:45 PM, Billikid said:

Thanks! And it's been passed on to the new board. Ultimately, it will come down to the students on the Gameday Committee and how/if they wanna coordinate it next year when it comes time. The new board has been meeting over the summer within themselves and with athletics about SLU101 and planning soccer and bball sched's so they may not have discussed it yet but possibly sooner than we may expect.

Fair warning though, I just graduated so my finger may not be on the pulse of the SLUnatics in too long.

We all have to graduate sadly. "Congrats" on entering the real world. I do think this would be a dope tradition though. 

Billikid likes this