Welcome Terrence Hargrove!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

And what makes them think Mizzou is academically superior to SLU?

Well a couple of years ago the avg SAT score for incoming freshmen were the same.  Missouri is not a bad school - is it better than SLU or vice a versa - beauty is in the eye of the beholder or which fits your need best.

5 hours ago, Pistol said:

Good summary.

The other thing I found really interesting is that he said he expected a few more late offers, probably after the Peach Jam, but that he and his family didn't want to go through the process of getting to know new schools, starting all over with a few more places. He said he already felt that this was home, so why not make it official?

He talked twice about "Yuri", who he referred to by his first name only until Frank asked another question about him later. He said he'd work on convincing him to come play with him at SLU, and talked about how they were both on campus recently (and a bunch in general), and the impression I got is that he thought there was a very good chance this could happen soon.

I can't remember his exact words on Liddell, but it was basically a shrug and "Yeah, I'll work on him, too, but I don't know if he's interested." Basically the same impression you got.

Frank and Hargrove are both saying he's 6-8 now, and Hargrove's mom jumped into the Twitter comments where this interview was originally shared to say, "Yes, my son is now every bit of 6-8". I don't know if that's the in-shoes measurement but I'm assuming it is, and if that's the case - along with the expectation of growing another inch or two - he definitely becomes an even more intriguing prospect.

I liked the anecdote about the time he got a D or F in middle school and his parents made him sit out the first game of the season while they sat in the stands and watched with him. Frank: "How are your academics?" Hargrove, not letting a second of air between the question and answer: "All A's and B's, sir."

I will admit to cringing a little when he casually said a couple times that SLU "isn't a bad school" with kind of a shrug, and I was like, come on, give it more credit! I don't think he meant anything by it.

I had exactly the same thought about his "isn't a bad school" comment.  I hope he gets some feedback on that to help him understand that it not only isn't a bad school, but rather, is a good school!

gobillsgo likes this

22 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Well a couple of years ago the avg SAT score for incoming freshmen were the same.  Missouri is not a bad school - is it better than SLU or vice a versa - beauty is in the eye of the beholder or which fits your need best.

I just had to teach an ACT prep class so I had to find the numbers. Latest stats have 25th-75th percentile ranges as Mizzou : 23-29  SLU : 25-31. I wouldn't consider this too important for recruiting although Ford does pitch academics, but it's nice to know :)

• 3 weeks later...

BBE is playing an absolutely loaded Team Takeover (DC) coming off of winning Peach Jam. BBE is also without Francis Okoro who reclassified and is headed to Oregon, Moses Moody (sitting on the bench with a boot on his foot), and Yuri Collins. Without Okoro they have guys playing out of position a bit and without Moody they are really limited offensively, essentially bench guys having to step into big roles. Caleb Love and Luke Kasubke were pulled up. Love had a big stretch in the 1st half to get BBE back within striking distance, but Team Takeover has opened the lead up in the 2nd half and appears to be running away with it (53-35 with 11 minutes to play). Liddell led BBE with 10 in the 1st half (Love had 8 I think), but had 2 fouls and was somewhat limited by that. Hargrove is having a tough day as he has been on Bacot quite a bit (highlights the roster issue creating some bad matchups for BBE). Love is a star.

Pistol likes this

Is it too early to compare Hargrove to Bonner? Bonner seemed to have a slight build out of HS. Hargrove appears a little slight as well. But given a good strength program Bonner became a beast by his SR year. Here's hoping Hargrove follows in Bonner's footprints. Also, I seem to recall people around Hargrove saying he's still got some growing to do. Right now I think he's 6'7" say he gets to 6'9" or 6'10", he could be really special. 

12 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Is it too early to compare Hargrove to Bonner? Bonner seemed to have a slight build out of HS. Hargrove appears a little slight as well. But given a good strength program Bonner became a beast by his SR year. Here's hoping Hargrove follows in Bonner's footprints. Also, I seem to recall people around Hargrove saying he's still got some growing to do. Right now I think he's 6'7" say he gets to 6'9" or 6'10", he could be really special. 

This can’t be serious.

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

This can’t be serious.

I watched Bonner in several high school games and as a senior he was a 6’7” wiry strong super quick athlete who did not have much of a shooting touch but could defend like a demon and rebound like a fiend. I saw Hargrove play in his soph year when I went to watch Goodwin and I thought he looked like he had great potential as a high flying wing who could shoot the 3. At least in high school they had completely different game skills. I did get to go to practice a few weeks ago and when I first saw Gordon I thought of Bonner. He is bigger than Bonner was as a frosh but he is a sculpted athletic 6’8” athletic big man who can run the court, rebound and he has a pretty nice shooting touch. He is not yet the defender or rebounder that Bonner was but he is more polished offensively than Bonner was as a freshman..It will be fun to see how he develops with our other skilled and tough big men.

HenryB and VeniceMenace like this

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This event wasn't exactly a defensive showcase, but our man has some serious bounce. His jumper looks pretty good, too.

Yeah the mechanics on his shot look much smoother and more consistent than what I remember from other highlight videos. His handle looks pretty good, too. I suppose those stick out because he’s played so much at the 4 for BBE and ESL and his athleticism was never in doubt. Good to see that he has some wing skills. 

12 minutes ago, Zink said:

Yeah the mechanics on his shot look much smoother and more consistent than what I remember from other highlight videos. His handle looks pretty good, too. I suppose those stick out because he’s played so much at the 4 for BBE and ESL and his athleticism was never in doubt. Good to see that he has some wing skills. 

If he can hit that perimeter shot consistently, then we have a potential big-time steal on our hands.

8 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Ohhhh lawddddd. When he fills out that frame..... 

Yeah, but we don't need him to bulk up too much. He gets up and down the floor so well and he can really take off getting to the rim.

But yeah, I feel really good about Hargrove. I'm glad he's going to be signed before the HS season takes off...

Note to Travis: Get that LOI in the bank, before the Poacher sees this video and moves in for the kill shot. Of course, not sure even an LOI is gonna stop the Poacher. I have visions of Yuri feeding Hargrove Alley Oops for 4 years.  Yeah, it's a highlight reel but those were some damn smooth and athletic highlights.