Welcome Terrence Hargrove!

25 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I really hope Travis sees SLU as more than a bus stop. That will be up to the admin. They tend to be very short sighted when it comes to Billiken hoops. This is where the good Doc and big $ guys step up and say he's not going anywhere if it's about $$. That said, I think if UK came calling no amount would keep him here. Who could blame him? Let's just hope if he leaves us w/ a great replacement. 

John Calipari ain't going anywhere soon.  

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Let's be real about Travis Ford, he came to SLU to rebuild his reputation as a coach. He was known as a good recruiter, but OSU had bad stuff to say about him as a coach. So he comes to SLU, and takes over a pretty disorganized program. The truth of the matter is that for reasons other than what he did himself he has yet to have a winning season at SLU. We all know the reasons. I doubt UK will come calling at this stage, however after two solid years and some tournament success, then he may be in position to move along if he so desires. I agree we should do all possible to retain him when the time comes, but I do not think the time has come for him to move.

Not to nitpick, but isn't 17-16 a winning record?

1 hour ago, HenryB said:

Not to nitpick, but isn't 17-16 a winning record?

Your not nitpicking you are right and I will add what an amazing job coach Ford did getting 17 wins with S2 and losing Goodwin.

17 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Your not nitpicking you are right and I will add what an amazing job coach Ford did getting 17 wins with S2 and losing Goodwin.

And just simply keeping the team together through the year. The late JJ move was odd, but it hardly diminishes the yaoman’s work done by Coach Ford. 

I am not criticizing or putting Ford down. He had a very tough two seasons and particularly in the last season he managed to get a 17-16 record which no one expected him to get. I agree he has shown us he is a great coach and I am looking forward to this year's play. I think he will do very well. However from Ford's own viewpoint he still has not shown the world what a great coach he is, that is still to come.

4 hours ago, willie said:

Just heard his interview with Frank. Very well spoken. 

-yep, if it can be gleaned from a very short interview kid seems to have some things figured out already, great for him, really hoping for his success

7 hours ago, Old guy said:

I am not criticizing or putting Ford down. He had a very tough two seasons and particularly in the last season he managed to get a 17-16 record which no one expected him to get. I agree he has shown us he is a great coach and I am looking forward to this year's play. I think he will do very well. However from Ford's own viewpoint he still has not shown the world what a great coach he is, that is still to come.

Nobody was questioning your point per se - it was that you said he had not had not a winning season and in fact he did last year.  Just say "my bad" and move on.

On 7/1/2018 at 9:14 PM, Old guy said:

That is something you really do not want to have. The most common form of this condition will cause scarring and deformity. You do not want to wind up with something looking like a boomerang or a corkscrew, it will prove rather limiting. 

I went to the zoo stoned once and most of the bears had their dicks out.  They were super weird looking.  Pretty much like Old Guy describes.  Probably a good idea to break out the ice chips early, if you don't want bear dick down the road.

SLU_Lax likes this

16 hours ago, cheeseman said:

How about we have those who do not give anything up their donation level before we ask those who are already giving to give more.  For example - if someone already is giving 1k why ask them to give 10k.

Yeah that too. Let’s just all sign over our paychecks and ensure a  national championship. deal?

Let SLU make a run to the 2nd weekend in the dance,  and any P5 program in the dumpster  looking for a quick turn around will be contacting Travis' agent. I'd wager Porter got a few hits after last year's miracle run, but they just weren't appealing enough. 

18 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Let SLU make a run to the 2nd weekend in the dance,  and any P5 program in the dumpster  looking for a quick turn around will be contacting Travis' agent. I'd wager Porter got a few hits after last year's miracle run, but they just weren't appealing enough. 

Time will tell, can we just take  some sh-t  in stride.  Are we really worried SLUs biggest problem is people wanting to hire our coach because of how well we are doing?  There are worse problems to have, many of which we have lived through, like having a coach nobody would want. In Ford we trust. In Dr C we trust. (Fred Pestello still a clown however) 

majerus mojo likes this

13 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

his verbal skills are excellent.   i love it. 

5 minutes ago, gabriel said:

anyone have a subscription to 24/7 sports? if so, https://247sports.com/college/saint-louis/Article/Saint-Louis-gets-a-key-local-piece-to-commit-119510584/. Please copy/past, I would love to read.

(Photo: 247Sports)

The Saint Louis Billikens are building one of the most powerful rosters in the Atlantic 10 Conference. With excellent facilities and a good location, the Billikens have made sure to attack local recruiting, and on Sunday they got a key piece to the puzzle when Terrence Hargrove committed to the program.

A 6-foot-6 forward with high level athleticism, emerging skill, and a high motor, Hargrove is the type of player that Travis Ford has to keep home in order to get the Billikens to the top of the league.

"I will be continuing my journey at Saint Louis University," Hargrove announced on Sunday evening, confirming his commitment to the school.

Playing with the high powered Bradley Beal Elite squad on the Nike EYBL, Hargrove was asked to fit in and play a specific role, but during the high school season his game really had an opportunity to shine.

In this day and age of positionless basketball, Hargrove is somebody who can play either on the wing as a traditional small forward, or could even slide down and be a bit of a small ball power forward.

Hargrove's three point jumper remains a work in progress, but during the high school season he showed major improvement with it. Hargrove is also pretty good attacking downhill off the dribble, and is someone who can finish well above the rim. Add in that he is an excellent athlete, and this is a heck of an early snag for Ford and his staff.

Along with Saint Louis, Hargrove also had significant interest from Missouri and a handful of other programs.

28 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I am really happy with what Ford has done so far, but I think it is going to take more than a single sweet sixteen appearance for him to get an offer he would leave SLU for.  There are two things at work here. 

First, he has a track record at a P5+1 school.  That woul turn off P5+1 fan bases and boosters.  There is a good chance they will view it as a fluke more than a sign that he can do the same thing consistently with their program.  Even dumpster fire P5+1 fan bases and boosters think they should be making regular trips to the sweet sixteen.

Second, Ford's history a P5+1 program will likely make him pretty picky when it comes to his next stop.  He was at a P5 program that has a ton of resources and gave him time.  It didn't work out.   He doesn't want to be in his early to mid 50's having been fired twice from a P5+1 program.   He will wait for a job that will offer him what he considers his best chance at success, because it will probably his last shot to prove himself at that level.

31 minutes ago, LindellWest said:

Time will tell, can we just take  some sh-t  in stride.  Are we really worried SLUs biggest problem is people wanting to hire our coach because of how well we are doing?  There are worse problems to have, many of which we have lived through, like having a coach nobody would want. In Ford we trust. In Dr C we trust. (Fred Pestello still a clown however) 

This is a battered fanbase. We're always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

28 minutes ago, LindellWest said:

If Travis Ford moves on to a power conference program, it means we have gone to a couple of sweet sixteens or an elite eight.  When and if that happens, I will survive.  It means the program is in better shape than it has been in almost any current fan's lifetime and has been put in a position to build on that success. 

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If Travis Ford moves on to a power conference program, it means we have gone to a couple of sweet sixteens or an elite eight.  When and if that happens, I will survive.  It means the program is in better shape than it has been in almost any current fan's lifetime and has been put in a position to build on that success. 

If we go to a couple Sweet 16s or an Elite 8 I will buy T. Ford's ticket to his next destination, because that means we had one hell of a ride.

12 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I didn't say he'd jump. Just that he'd get interest. And it's in the Billiken DNA to think that just when you've seen the light at the end of the tunnel it turns out to be another train. 

the bad part of your post was that the reason Moser didn't take the offers was that they weren't attractive enough.