Welcome Terrence Hargrove!

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

while i am amazed at ford's recruiting thus far, i will wait for the rest of travis ford's coaching game to match his recruiting as he has always had the M.O. of a great recruiter that couldnt coach the players up from expectations and wasnt a particularly good floor coach.   i will say his motivational skills the last couple of seasons were off the chart.    i am fully on board the ford train, but am also still waiting to be shown it is now the the full package.   

I totally agree, which is why last season helped with my evaluation of Ford's coaching abilities.  I'm hoping that he has figured out how to better coach and handle his talent after what he's experienced at other stops.  I'm also encouraged by the intensity levels that are shown in videos of practices.  I really think that our teams, in the next few years at least, are teams that other programs hate playing, win or lose.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I'm sure all would agree, but Ford is about at the top of his game as far as recruiting goes.  We haven't had a winning season in three years and then last year we were one game over .500.  Despite this, he is recruiting guys to SLU like we've been perched at the top of the A-10 the last several years.

On top of this, the guys he's bringing in all have quotes about them like "hard worker," "intense rebounder," "good teammate."  I love it.

I know that many of you have beefs with Chris May, but May hired Ford at a time when many of us were looking at other guys.  The hire was not an easy one for May to make, and he took some heat.  Looking back, this hire may be one of the most important made at SLU.  Whatever you think of Chris May, he deserves credit for pulling the trigger on Ford.  His next job is going to be to convince Ford that staying here and turning SLU into a Villanova, Xavier, or Gonzaga type program is better than jumping to a Power 5 school and hitting the reset button on the hot seat.

I’ll be first to admit I was underwhelmed initially with the Ford hire. I wanted a young up and comer, not a Power 5 reject. I could not have been more wrong. Travis has totally revitalized this program, starting with the JGood commitment and continuing through the Hargrove commit. He’s doing an amazing job. 

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Everyone on this board better be prepared to up their donation 10 fold if we get to regular top 25/Xavier territory 

How about we have those who do not give anything up their donation level before we ask those who are already giving to give more.  For example - if someone already is giving 1k why ask them to give 10k.

20 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I’ll be first to admit I was underwhelmed initially with the Ford hire. I wanted a young up and comer, not a Power 5 reject. I could not have been more wrong. Travis has totally revitalized this program, starting with the JGood commitment and continuing through the Hargrove commit. He’s doing an amazing job. 

Coach Ford is still an up-and-comer.  He just "went" a little too far, perhaps, at Oklahoma State.

6 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Debbie Downer

No downer - just pointing out that the hire of RM was a big national story and made us relevant nationally.  The recruiting gains that Ford has made could end up making us relevant - hoping so - but the RM hire actually did it.  

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

while i am amazed at ford's recruiting thus far, i will wait for the rest of travis ford's coaching game to match his recruiting as he has always had the M.O. of a great recruiter that couldnt coach the players up from expectations and wasnt a particularly good floor coach.   i will say his motivational skills the last couple of seasons were off the chart.    i am fully on board the ford train, but am also still waiting to be shown it is now the the full package.   

What he did coaching last year was nothing short of amazing.  A winning team despite all that was thrown at him.  Adjusted to the lack of numbers and won with defense.

HenryB and slufanskip like this

"In Ford We Trust," and I agree with WVBilliken in regards to Ford's coaching performance last year. He would have been my A-10 coach of the year last year if you consider the circumstance. I will also up my donation if we win this year.

1 minute ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Based on the photo of Cusumano and Hargrove in the former's tweet, Hargrove is 6-8 if you include the hair.  Otherwise, it looks like he's more like 6-6.

I was about to post that as well. My guess is Frank is upright and Hargrove is leaning down. Basketball heights can be tricky because they often post their height in their shoes

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

Nice to see one paper in town thinks the Hargrove development is news:

https://www.bnd.com/sports/high-school/prep-basketball/article214066764.html

Let's hope we can flip #3 on that list and land 3 in the top 5. I don't think I need to mention who the 3rd one is  😎

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=IL

4 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Nice to see one paper in town thinks the Hargrove development is news:

https://www.bnd.com/sports/high-school/prep-basketball/article214066764.html

"Hargrove was at Chaifetz Arena last week to watch a Billikens summer workout."

Love that he came and SAW THE KIDS PLAY and decided, "Yep, I wanna be apart of that." 

19 minutes ago, almaman said:

Big surprise I was wrong on the Metro team with high mark. Claggett and Grawer never made the team. "91 had Winfield and Highmark. cool link for it

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/all-metro/boys-basketball/all-metro-boys-basketball-first-teams-by-year/article_58296b9e-98de-11e2-8c99-001a4bcf6878.html

claggett played at ultra small venice high where i am sure the post never took serious at the time for any talent.   plus you know no post dispatch writer ever bothered to even go see the venice red devils play.   

49 minutes ago, almaman said:

Big surprise I was wrong on the Metro team with high mark. Claggett and Grawer never made the team. "91 had Winfield and Highmark. cool link for it

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/all-metro/boys-basketball/all-metro-boys-basketball-first-teams-by-year/article_58296b9e-98de-11e2-8c99-001a4bcf6878.html

Jahidi never made first team All Metro?  Bizarre...

7 hours ago, willie said:

I'm showing my age here and this was slightly  ahead of my time but in the 60's we owned local recruiting. Bobby Cole-Eugene Moore-John Kilo-Rich Nieman the point guard who went to Washington Bullets.[name escapes me] Then we went into the terrible 70's . A lot of people on this board like to trash Ron Ekker  but Buddy Brehmer did a lot to hurt our program. 

Brehmer was in the 60s.  He had been successful at Rockhurst but sucked eggs here.  He had at least 2 NBA players one year and they were under 500 I believe.

6 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I'm sure all would agree, but Ford is about at the top of his game as far as recruiting goes.  We haven't had a winning season in three years and then last year we were one game over .500.  Despite this, he is recruiting guys to SLU like we've been perched at the top of the A-10 the last several years.

On top of this, the guys he's bringing in all have quotes about them like "hard worker," "intense rebounder," "good teammate."  I love it.

I know that many of you have beefs with Chris May, but May hired Ford at a time when many of us were looking at other guys.  The hire was not an easy one for May to make, and he took some heat.  Looking back, this hire may be one of the most important made at SLU.  Whatever you think of Chris May, he deserves credit for pulling the trigger on Ford.  His next job is going to be to convince Ford that staying here and turning SLU into a Villanova, Xavier, or Gonzaga type program is better than jumping to a Power 5 school and hitting the reset button on the hot seat.

I really hope Travis sees SLU as more than a bus stop. That will be up to the admin. They tend to be very short sighted when it comes to Billiken hoops. This is where the good Doc and big $ guys step up and say he's not going anywhere if it's about $$. That said, I think if UK came calling no amount would keep him here. Who could blame him? Let's just hope if he leaves us w/ a great replacement. 

Let's be real about Travis Ford, he came to SLU to rebuild his reputation as a coach. He was known as a good recruiter, but OSU had bad stuff to say about him as a coach. So he comes to SLU, and takes over a pretty disorganized program. The truth of the matter is that for reasons other than what he did himself he has yet to have a significant winning season at SLU. We all know the reasons. I doubt UK will come calling at this stage, however after two solid years and some tournament success, then he may be in position to move along if he so desires. I agree we should do all possible to retain him when the time comes, but I do not think the time has come for him to move.