Davell Roby G-League

18 minutes ago, willie said:

McCall was a better player than Roby.  

im out of reactions for today but completely agree.  

20 minutes ago, willie said:

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Actually think McCall was extremely underrated. Jett and Evans got a ton of attention (deserving so) but McCall was a stud. McCall was the best off-ball defender I've ever seen.

While I agree with everyone who says McCall was better, Roby does have a more typical NBA build.  McCall was 6 ft 181lbs and Roby is 6ft 4in 200lbs.  Further, I'm not really sure what it takes to make the G-League.  I recall thinking that Mike McCall was kind of odd choice in that he was never going to make the NBA.  Presumably the G-League needs guys to fill out the bench who get little playing time and really have no chance to ever make the NBA, maybe Roby could do that if he chose that path over a more lucrative career in Europe.  For example, (I just randomly picked a lower tier G-Leauge squad to look at) some guy named LJ Rose (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/lj-rose-2.html) who put up pretty pedestrian numbers across stops at Baylor, Houston, & BYU played 17 games averaging 10 mins per game for G-League bottom feeder Salt Lake City Stars (http://stats.gleague.nba.com/player/#!/1628615/stats/?p=l-j-rose).  Roby could be that type of guy for say the Memphis Hustle in the G-League if he wanted to.  No idea why he would do that when he could make a lot more money aboard though.

To @Slufan10 who said that the G-League is for Willie Reed type talents - Willie was one of the best players in the G-League.  Certainly there is a spectrum of talent in the G-League and based on my LJ Rose example that spectrum goes down to Roby type players.

FYI - old Dayton nemesis Kendall Pollard also played for the Salt Lake City G-League squad.  I recall him being better than Roby, but I'm not sure that gap was that big between those two.

Roby improved significantly in his last two seasons at SLU. I agree McCall was a better college player but I could also see teams viewing Roby as a better professional prospect. It wouldn’t shock me if he ended up in the G-League.

Other considerations - money might be better overseas, willingness or unwillingness to live overseas, and wanting to actually continuing playing basketball. 

I like Davell. He seems like a good guy. I don't think he is anywhere near GLeague caliber. GLeague rosters are littered with conference first and second team guys. Roby never sniffed that. GLeague rosters also feature a lot of guys who weren't the best college players, but they have one standout skill. He doesn't have one standout skill - defense, 3 point shooting, athleticism, etc. He isn't a good shooter from any distance, he wasn't a great defender, and he isn't really a point guard. If you're banking on height, I am taller than him and I'm not in the g league. 

Roby could make a G league team but he'd rarely play.  G league is guys trying to make the league and guys unwilling to play overseas.  

Mike was so consistent.  Nearly averaged double figures every year but didn't score 20 in a game till he was sr.  Underrated defender, on the ball and off.  Best perimeter defender since Fisher.

McCall played a bit in south and central america but is now back in chicago playing for the ABA Chicago Steam.

12 hours ago, willie said:

12 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Big Mike McCall fan here. He was behind Mitchell for his sophomore and junior years, and then Jett turned into the conference player of the year his senior year. Still, McCall was a really solid player.

12 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Actually think McCall was extremely underrated. Jett and Evans got a ton of attention (deserving so) but McCall was a stud. McCall was the best off-ball defender I've ever seen.

Before we got Isabell, i thought a player like McCall would have been a perfect complement for next year’s team. 

• 3 weeks later...