Open Letter to Coach Ford & Staff

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@billikenfan05 you have traditionally been the biggest critic of everything marketing at SLU.  Thread after thread about how terrible they are.  Now you are the biggest supporter.  What is the change?

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

@billikenfan05 you have traditionally been the biggest critic of everything marketing at SLU.  Thread after thread about how terrible they are.  Now you are the biggest supporter.  What is the change?

I still, on the whole, believe that the athletic department thinks small time on most things and things that don’t even involve spending money. The only part that’s been consistently average to above average is the SID.

The merchandise has always and continues to suck because they ignore the problem. We also lag so far behind in media production.

I would love if brianstl were right in that there is someone who’s job is solely creating content for social media but there’s not. Almost every mid to high level athletic department has a staff devoted to multimedia. My point is that I think the improvement in content is great and I think Billiken fans are eating it up and it’s important to let the powers that be know what we like and that they are going in the right direction. 

9 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

You have no clue, per usual. Travis Ford is only the one getting the wheels spinning in that he’s put together a compelling team. Jesus Christ, we condemn the people in marketing/SID when things are and then we don’t give them the credit they deserve when they are the ones taking the initiative to create large amounts of great content for us die hards. 

Ford understands the importance of social media, and giving fans behind the scenes access for sure but to think that he’s telling people in the athletic department what to do or pushing for more as far as social media and content creation is crazy. He’s focused on one thing and that’s improving the team every day. 

You off your high horse yet?  Calm down.  It's a fan board.  We post for fun.

6 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I still, on the whole, believe that the athletic department thinks small time on most things and things that don’t even involve spending money. The only part that’s been consistently average to above average is the SID.

The merchandise has always and continues to suck because they ignore the problem. We also lag so far behind in media production.

I would love if brianstl were right in that there is someone who’s job is solely creating content for social media but there’s not. Almost every mid to high level athletic department has a staff devoted to multimedia. My point is that I think the improvement in content is great and I think Billiken fans are eating it up and it’s important to let the powers that be know what we like and that they are going in the right direction. 

I have to disagree on the SID.

Part of the reason we don't get favorable media coverage is because of the SID.  There are consistent complaints amongst local print, radio, and tv that SLU places restrictions on coverage, that they aren't given access to staff in a timely manner, requests for interviews are ignored, and press passes to cover the team are hard to get (which at SLU should be the exact opposite).  On the other side, control of the media is also the SID's job.  Last year with those embarrassing pieces put forth by Ortiz, Kunderman should have got those squashed.  Ortiz taking photos of himself waiting outside Chaifetz, Kunderman should have been there talking to him.  When Ortiz is ambushing Coach Ford with questions he can't answer, Kunderman should have circumvented that.  BK is the press liason for the AD.  It is his job to develop contacts with local media to put out stories that show us in a favorable light.  I don't see him doing that.

Kudos to BK if he is in fact responsible for the videos (I can't see how, we have two staffers whose job appears to be online media and another person on Ford's staff who also would have some of these responsibilities).  Fact remains that we just started putting out good quality video in the last few months, most schools have been doing this for a few years.  We are behind the times.  The best video we produced was also pulled for no good reason.

majerus mojo, JMM28, Zink and 1 other like this

If Kunderman is our supposed press liaison/SID then all the laments about our press coverage (or lack there if) fall on him.  It's his job to promote the program and this means the SID creates relationships with the press to do so.  Now --- maybe in today's age of social media that is tough and maybe given our lack of success these last few years it's even tougher.

If relationships were in place like they should be, you'd leverage that relationship to buy better coverage during bad times --- like S2.

Nice to know we now have a name associated with our lack of coverage.

SLU_Lax likes this

This may seem a bit off track but bear with me.  Today, everything is driven by the use of technology.  People send emails and texts out to the world and believe that they have made an honest attempt to disseminate information with never really ever having met or made any other formal contact with them.  This is also why some have trouble getting past the first screening round for jobs - if the right word does not appear in the application then the application is kicked out by the software even though the person may be a very good fit.  Technology can be very beneficial but it can also have unintended consequences when it comes to testing the depth of the pool.  If the SID is only sending group tweets, emails, and texts to names more than likely they are simply being deleted given that people have no real connection to the person sending it.  Shaking hands with people is still the best way to get them to remember you and to respond the way you would like.

SLU_Lax likes this

2 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I love coach Ford. 

Agree, the coach can be the impetus for a lot including some great PR for the team and for recruits watching .... loving it.

On 6/21/2018 at 10:15 AM, billikenfan05 said:

Doesn't make you exempt from being told when you're wrong.

11 hours ago, Brighton said:

I think the marketing dept should capitalize on the Straight Outta Compton fad while it's still popular. Put it on t-shirts, sweaters, flags, etc.

Just a thought.

It's a terrific thought and my favorite rap tune but...….I cant' see the Bills getting behind it due to the original song lyrics. 

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

It's a terrific thought and my favorite rap tune but...….I cant' see the Bills getting behind it due to the original song lyrics. 

due to our homeless sweater admin 

On June 21, 2018 at 11:54 AM, thetorch said:

I have to disagree on the SID.

Part of the reason we don't get favorable media coverage is because of the SID.  There are consistent complaints amongst local print, radio, and tv that SLU places restrictions on coverage, that they aren't given access to staff in a timely manner, requests for interviews are ignored, and press passes to cover the team are hard to get (which at SLU should be the exact opposite).  On the other side, control of the media is also the SID's job.  Last year with those embarrassing pieces put forth by Ortiz, Kunderman should have got those squashed.  Ortiz taking photos of himself waiting outside Chaifetz, Kunderman should have been there talking to him.  When Ortiz is ambushing Coach Ford with questions he can't answer, Kunderman should have circumvented that.  BK is the press liason for the AD.  It is his job to develop contacts with local media to put out stories that show us in a favorable light.  I don't see him doing that.

Kudos to BK if he is in fact responsible for the videos (I can't see how, we have two staffers whose job appears to be online media and another person on Ford's staff who also would have some of these responsibilities).  Fact remains that we just started putting out good quality video in the last few months, most schools have been doing this for a few years.  We are behind the times.  The best video we produced was also pulled for no good reason.

The SID does not control the media.

The SID cannot quash stories by the media. Is this North Korea?

The SID's job is to provide information to the media. The media then decide what they are going to print or air.

Fred Pestello getting a shout out. Things sure have changed.

25 minutes ago, Harry Rogers said:

The SID does not control the media.

The SID cannot quash stories by the media. Is this North Korea?

The SID's job is to provide information to the media. The media then decide what they are going to print or air.

Fred Pestello getting a shout out. Things sure have changed.

TROLL ALERT.  THIS IS TROLLPANTS, TILOWISKY OR WHATEVER HE CALLS HIMSELF.  Harry Rogers is one of his 16 user names on the PD SLU Forum. Moderators, do the right thing.  He / she / it is now on my IGNORE list.

2 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

It's a freakin gold mine. The lack of vision at not only SLU but in STL is insufferable.

14 hours ago, Brighton said:

I think the marketing dept should capitalize on the Straight Outta Compton fad while it's still popular. Put it on t-shirts, sweaters, flags, etc.

Just a thought.

11 minutes ago, Brighton said:

It's a freakin gold mine. The lack of vision at not only SLU but in STL is insufferable.

TBH I think that fad is kind of over and a little played out at this point.  I think some shirts with "Straight Outta the Lou" or something might play but plastering that everywhere might be a little much.

I was born after the original song came out so maybe I'm just not connecting to it as much, idk.  I definitely do agree with you that the marketing department can and should do better than what they have done.

16 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Is it? I'll grant you that it's a fun idea but what would they do with it? Shirts? would our old fan base identify with it? Is Straight Out of Compton still a fad? The movie came out like 3 years ago. It could be a really good Blizzard or Blue Out shirt. I think it would work better as a SLUnatics DIY project personally.

Brighton likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

TROLL ALERT.  THIS IS TROLLPANTS, TILOWISKY OR WHATEVER HE CALLS HIMSELF.  Harry Rogers is one of his 16 user names on the PD SLU Forum. Moderators, do the right thing.  He / she / it is now on my IGNORE list.

Good catch.