MSOC Fall Schedule

WUH

Say what you want you want about the Men's Soccer Program, but they are still able to schedule like a Top 25 team.

Highlights include Notre Dame, Louisville, SMU (home) and Denver.

Memphis (home), Marquette (home), Central Arkansas (home) and SIUE (home) round out the non-conference schedule.

Please help me out here...

Of the top A-10 teams from last season, VCU (home) and George Washington (home) are on the schedule, but Fordham and UMass are not.

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=211718930

I don't follow the soccer program that closely, but I have to wonder if the ability to put together a great schedule has more to do with the depth of soccer talent in the area than anything SLU-specific.  My thinking is that other programs want to play a game in St Louis to either showcase themselves to potential recruits out of the St. Louis area or to give a player on their roster from St. Louis a chance to play in his hometown (similar to when UNC played us in basketball to get Tyler Hansbrough a "home" game).  Just a guess.

13 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I don't follow the soccer program that closely, but I have to wonder if the ability to put together a great schedule has more to do with the depth of soccer talent in the area than anything SLU-specific.  My thinking is that other programs want to play a game in St Louis to either showcase themselves to potential recruits out of the St. Louis area or to give a player on their roster from St. Louis a chance to play in his hometown (similar to when UNC played us in basketball to get Tyler Hansbrough a "home" game).  Just a guess.

using the word 'showcase' to describe a SLU men's soccer game is kind of funny 

Billiken Rich likes this

23 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I don't follow the soccer program that closely, but I have to wonder if the ability to put together a great schedule has more to do with the depth of soccer talent in the area than anything SLU-specific. 

This is undoubtedly true along with other factors such as relationships between the coaches, but I would argue that the local talent alone is not enough to build a Top 25 schedule season after season.  Well, in my opinion.