Good luck Mickey Pearson!

No student athlete is forced to sign a LOI.  Signing one is a terrible mistake.  At this point the only good thing an LOI does for the student athlete and the school is that it effectively shuts down recruiting.  Once an LOI is signed any contact by another school can be interpreted as tampering. 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose the LOI vs no LOI argument can be compared to the Free Agent vs contract player arguments seen in the professional leagues. LOIs have little use to the "ones and dones," top 50 players which can  afford to choose and pick at will where to go, and have ample playing time. For good players who are not top 100, particularly those that may be undervalued for some reason, the LOIs do offer  some advantages and security in terms of coach chemistry, location preference, and having a secure place to go to. Not everyone will thrive in a free wheeling environment. For example consider whether Willie Reed would have been better off accepting the contract offered by Miami Heat, or getting his own as a free agent.

I was told by somebody that would know and someone that I trust, that his grandmother is sick and that is the primary driver behind him asking out of his LOI. Could part of Pearson's motivation for asking out of the LOI be a desire to play at Western Kentucky or Louisville or tampering by either school, I suppose, but I don't believe it is the primary driver. 

I'm also fairly certain that SLU coaches knew that MP wanted out of the LOI before signing KC Hankton (I thought I read somewhere Ford hinted as much in some article or radio interview, but I can't find it now)

1 minute ago, kshoe said:

I was told by somebody that would know and someone that I trust, that his grandmother is sick and that is the primary driver behind him asking out of his LOI. Could part of Pearson's motivation for asking out of the LOI be a desire to play at Western Kentucky or Louisville or tampering by either school, I suppose, but I don't believe it is the primary driver. 

I'm also fairly certain that SLU coaches knew that MP wanted out of the LOI before signing KC Hankton (I thought I read somewhere Ford hinted as much in some article or radio interview, but I can't find it now)

You're right about the Hankton recruitment. Ford was on Frank's show last week and said that they had been watching Hankton for a while and once a scholarship opened up (Pearson's), they offered Hankton.

I am only breathing easy now because our signees are on campus in school doing whatever.  But that doesn't mean much either --- just look at Robinson the five-star kid at WKU last year.  He tried to bolt but then the NCAA said he'd be a transfer and have to sit a year.  He is in the draft tonite (I think).  

Jacobs signed a LOI but there are conditions he has yet to meet that are on him (ACT score).  Upchurch signed a LOI and he never made it despite summer school (as I recall).  

Then there are flunk outs (Pulley), transfers (Frazier), dismissals (Footes, Irvin, Mel Robinson), and early entries (Hughes).  So recruiting is NEVER over; just an aim at another target, class, need, whatever.

15 hours ago, NH said:

Even if there are no personal or family issues going on, Pearson has every right to change his mind and ask for his release. It is a very important choice for him and his family and he should be comfortable knowing he made the right one. He doesn’t owe SLU anything other than being honest and transparent with them, which it sounds like he was. 

Other than having them rush down there and have him solidify his commitment, only to back out a few days later.

I'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and know how tumultuous the brief time between HS and college can be. I just don't think there has been transparency. If you have a sick relative and want to stay closer to home, why not say that? Everyone would understand. Don't leave it open to speculation.

28 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

You're right about the Hankton recruitment. Ford was on Frank's show last week and said that they had been watching Hankton for a while and once a scholarship opened up (Pearson's), they offered Hankton.

Yes, that's what I figured. Even though the Hankton announcement technically came before Isabell and Wiley - those two were the top priority with the remaining open scholarships. Hankton only came on board because of the Pearson departure. 

48 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I don't doubt that you are correct, but it is odd to me that Frank talked about the situation yesterday and from what I heard never mentioned anything about a family situation (even at a vague high level). He made it sound like Mickey let the coaches know he was having doubts and considering requesting a release, Ford went down to meet with him and seemingly got him back on board, and then a few days later was requesting his release. To me, what Frank said gives the impression that someone is in his ear. And Frank may not know, but it was obvious that he was at SLU the other day talking with the coaching staff, so I feel like he would be aware of the driver for the release and if it was a family situation he would have mentioned that, but maybe not. It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few weeks, back to you Steve.

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

Looks like you have a good source, I see that Stu verified as much tweeting "family issue; his spot has been filled."

32 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

sorry it is still up on page 1

You may have the guys that quoted me delete their posts if you wish. We will see how far from home he goes, when it is announced, won't we? As far as I am concerned the "Available now" means "you all come get me wherever you may be." It is true that this was not his post but the school's, we will see. 

29 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

In responding to a question on Twitter, Stu mentioned a family issue for Pearson.

16 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Looks like you have a good source, I see that Stu verified as much tweeting "family issue; his spot has been filled."

Well, I'm sorry to hear that he actually has a family issue, but the silver lining is that it wasn't a matter of him having someone in his ear. Wishing him and his family the best.

No offense intended and I do wish Mickey well but he wasn't exactly our highest rated recruit and seemed more like an intriguing prospect for the future rather than a lock as a first year starter.  I'm not saying we didn't want him but if he's starting next year for Louisville it 's not a great sign for them.  

Hopefully there was no tampering and hopefully Mickey's relative heals and hopefully KC is an adequate replacement. 

On 6/20/2018 at 1:32 PM, Pistol said:

Pearson's HS basketball team's Twitter account just posted this:

The account also just started following Chris Mack, and there's this article from a fan site.

Only other chatter I'm seeing so far is from a few WKU and Xavier fans, but not much of substance yet.

You need a reason? Does this look to you like a kid who is looking for a local or close to home placement?

I agree the school posted this but he has not asked them to delete the post. 

No point in discussing this post, it is done. We will see where he lands at.

34 minutes ago, Old guy said:

You need a reason? Does this look to you like a kid who is looking for a local or close to home placement?

I don't get what's wrong with it. It doesn't say he wants to go far from home

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

MP didnt do a single thing for SLU.  I dont understand the point of this thread.  Ive done more for this program than he has. 

used all of my reactions today 'troll' posting TRavs..... Great post. 

On 6/21/2018 at 6:06 PM, Old guy said:

How do you know he hasn't asked the school to delete the post?