OK, outdated Men's College Soccer coaching thread

WUH

It looks like in the wake of March Madness, I missed an interesting college soccer story that is slightly related.  I know this was months ago, but hey, we are in the offseason.

Jason Mims was hired away from the University of Nebraska Omaha and the Mavericks hired Bob Warming. 

What a turn of events...

Not saying I would have preferred Mims or Warming, but...

Did you all discuss this?

slufanskip likes this

9 hours ago, WUH said:

It looks like in the wake of March Madness, I missed an interesting college soccer story that is slightly related.  I know this was months ago, but hey, we are in the offseason.

Jason Mims was hired away from the University of Nebraska Omaha and the Mavericks hired Bob Warming

What a turn of events...

Not saying I would have preferred Mims or Warming, but...

Did you all discuss this?

No discussion, that I recall. Warming returning to Omaha is not a shock - it's home. Same for Mims (17 of last 18 years in Omaha), so I would suggest it took a great opportunity to tempt him away. Youth coordinator at RSL - not sure it would have done it for me but who knows what he wants in life or what RSL promised him. I suspect he'll be upgraded to Asst coach in the next few years.

Warming wouldn't have been a SLU candidate, he retired and had already moved back to Omaha. He's helping out the school. Mims certainly would have been.

I would have been happy with a Mims hiring at SLU. However, with the caveat that it's not a very informed opinion, my first choice was Kevin Kalish. I just feel like this is a perfect fit. 

And ... I loved the hiring of Mike McGinty … so wtf do I know 

ChangeOfPace likes this

Since it's a soccer thread I'll add these

Any thoughts on the USMNT last 3 games? I don't remember a time when we had this many young players with this much potential. Though I'm sad that were not getting to watch the USA in the World Cup, I'm excited to watch the next few years and these kids grow. 

World Cup thoughts? Having lived in Germany for over 3 years, they are always my de facto 2nd team but I think there are 4 or 5 that can win. I was surprised with France's inability to break us down and create more real scoring opportunities but we were packed in pretty tight. I'll miss the Netherlands also as they are probably my 3rd team. I was able to attend some higher level youth training when I was in Ge. (I've written about it before but it was unbelievable watching what kids 10-12 ish were doing on a soccer field) and I've always liked their style. Spain also looks to be very good along with Brazil of course. Getting excited to watch. 

A month ago a gambler I know contacted me and wanted my thoughts about the World Cup and particularly wanted my thoughts on underrated teams.  I watched a fair bit of African qualifying and Senegal seems underrated as Mané, Sané, Baldé , Pape Alioune Badou Ndiaye (there are three Ndiayes on the team) seem like a pretty solid core to get you out of the group and possibly into the quarters (not much of chance past that).  They are in a pretty open group so it worth a bet to get out of the group (200-1 to win it all is worthy of a small bet if you can get it as well).

I think they are underrated mainly because they took a very conservative approach to qualifying (which was smart) and are going to open up offensively for the World Cup.  A lot of people have talked about Nigeria being exciting to watch but I am guessing that Senegal will be much more interesting as they get past the conservative tactics of qualifying (they have been playing an open 3--5-2 lately in friendlies but even them in a 4-5-1 would be exciting if Mané (Liverpool) has an central attacking role).  They have had problems with Baldé's(Lazio/Monaco) behavior/injuries in the past but I am guessing any positive result early and all that will be gone until at least the World Cup ends.  Sakho is an underrated striker as well.  Their regular goalie was hurt but back up Khadim Ndiaye is fine.

Overall, Skip has mentioned the big contenders (well he "skipped" over France but they are likely behind Brazil, Germany and Spain) but if you are looking for some exciting soccer and a slight underdog my guess is Senegal as they have had very little World Cup experience yet have a team that has impressive club experience.

14 hours ago, William Iken said:

Warming wouldn't have been a SLU candidate, he retired and had already moved back to Omaha. He's helping out the school. Mims certainly would have been.

Your takes on both Warming and Mims are entirely logical explanations.

I did not realize Mims had return to coach at the academy level.  His career trajectory looks oddly similar to that of Kevin Kalish though obviously Mims is with an MLS team.  Incidentally, I did not realize they were four-year teammates at SLU.

7 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I would have been happy with a Mims hiring at SLU. However, with the caveat that it's not a very informed opinion, my first choice was Kevin Kalish. I just feel like this is a perfect fit.

None of my Billiken Soccer related opinions are well informed, but I love the Kalish hire.

6 hours ago, kwyjibo said:

A month ago a gambler I know contacted me and wanted my thoughts about the World Cup and particularly wanted my thoughts on underrated teams.  I watched a fair bit of African qualifying and Senegal seems underrated as Mané, Sané, Baldé , Pape Alioune Badou Ndiaye (there are three Ndiayes on the team) seem like a pretty solid core to get you out of the group and possibly into the quarters (not much of chance past that).  They are in a pretty open group so it worth a bet to get out of the group (200-1 to win it all is worthy of a small bet if you can get it as well).

I think they are underrated mainly because they took a very conservative approach to qualifying (which was smart) and are going to open up offensively for the World Cup.  A lot of people have talked about Nigeria being exciting to watch but I am guessing that Senegal will be much more interesting as they get past the conservative tactics of qualifying (they have been playing an open 3--5-2 lately in friendlies but even them in a 4-5-1 would be exciting if Mané (Liverpool) has an central attacking role).  They have had problems with Baldé's(Lazio/Monaco) behavior/injuries in the past but I am guessing any positive result early and all that will be gone until at least the World Cup ends.  Sakho is an underrated striker as well.  Their regular goalie was hurt but back up Khadim Ndiaye is fine.

Overall, Skip has mentioned the big contenders (well he "skipped" over France but they are likely behind Brazil, Germany and Spain) but if you are looking for some exciting soccer and a slight underdog my guess is Senegal as they have had very little World Cup experience yet have a team that has impressive club experience.

Now I have to watch Senegal. Thanks for the tip

17 hours ago, kwyjibo said:

Ok, good call. They should be exciting but I think they're going to concede if they open up too much. Their strength is attacking and I think they're a little weak at the back. To me N'diaye is a huge question mark - veteran, few caps and never really left Africa (one small stint in Sweden and unsure if he actually played), currently in Guinea.

Germany is where I would put the solid money. I'll also be a homer and call Australia to get out of the group - meaning topping Peru and Denmark.