Basketball spending

1 minute ago, Billikenbooster said:

Years ago when St Anthony's was one of the sponsors of the team, there was a flight to NY to see the Fordham game.  I believe each sponsor got two airline tickets, lodging and game tickets.  They knew I was Bills crazy, offered me the seats and tickets, and off I went.  Don't know if they still do that, but it was cool then.  Don't know if any sponsor ponied up more $ to allow that, or it came with paying for having your name on the side boards throughout the game.

mhg

Years ago when we were still in CUSA Coke sponsored a trip to New Orleans (Tulane).  They flew the team and coaches down with them and got 12 seats for themselves - golf weekend, Bourbon Street and of course the game.  Someone they were taking canceled a couple days ahead of the trip and I was invited to fill the slot.  The problem was I was employed by the public and accepting such a gift would have been viewed as improper.  My organization did business with Coke and they knew I was a big fan so they thought of me - no cost to me, meals, golf and of course the game.  Bourbon Street would be on me. I had to turn the invite down and they were really a bit taken aback given that this is common practice in the business world.  When I explained that I could not risk the bad optics and possible bad press that could come from this if it was ever made public.  About 6 months later a contract letting was taking place for soft drinks and Coke got it as they had for several years.  Another company was outraged and they went public with claims of improper incentives being a part of the deal - was I ever glad that I did not accept the trip.  The incentives were things being given to the schools - free signage, money towards updated scoreboards with their symbol on it, some free soft drinks for school carnivals that kind of stuff - basically peanuts but were extras Coke offered if they were asked by the school.  The free stuff was not part of the contract criteria nor was that factored in the decision process - just a bonus.  Had the other company beat Coke on the formal bid they would have won.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

The proceeds of the golf tournament support the charters.

Yes, sponsors still receive an opportunity to go on a road trip with the team. Definitely, not on the charter, but commercial air flight. They are well organized and a good time.

They don’t go on the charter but the team does? Or booster trips are only on commercial flights?

I don't have an opinion on where to spend it since there's no complete line item budget info.

But thought might be helpful to resurrect the thread VeniceMenace started a few months back, show how SLU measures up overall in the A10. My comment in this thread also shows how we compare beyond the A10... to similar as well as aspirational Jesuit and Catholic private schools. These metrics are likely somewhat inaccurate as accounting practices differ. But still provides some general info:

One thing that hasn't been discussed (I don't think) in the budget discussion is television.

The key drivers in the recruits' decision are (not necessarily in this order): big time coach, facility/locker room, playing in NCAA tourney, route to NBA, schedule, crowd size/atmosphere, and... playing on TV.

The A10 TV deal is average at best. I know SLU has underwritten TV costs to get more games on Fox Sports Midwest. But that only helps local recruiting and ticket sales to a degree. Again, not knowing current line item budgets, I'd want to look closely at creating and scheduling a made-for-TV event with a name school (or schools) in partnership with ESPN (or other network) and underwriting all or part of it for national broadcast. If Mi$$ou, Illinois, SIU-Carbondale don't want in, we'll find better.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2018 at 2:40 PM, RiseAndGrind said:

It's the off-season. If you could pick one area to spend more money for men's basketball, what would you spend it on?  Better facilities, charter flights, athlete housing, better coach pay? Just curious how people would rank priorities. 

This is not intended to bash anyone or ***** about more money. Really just curious how people would spend the money. Think SLU basketball won the lottery.

I would look at our fund-raising and see how it compares to other A-10 programs.  Our spending should match the level of resources.  I would wildly guess we're in the top four of five in the A-10, though our spending should be in that area.  If we're in the bottom half, then I would adjust our spending to be in that area.   

We're not Duke, so not giving Ford a blank check.  As for charter flights, I think that's a high priority given the far outposts and getting rid of that would put us in a competitive disadvantage.  I already think our facilities are among the top 2 in the A-10, so I don't think we need to add there.  Next priority is giving Ford the dollars he need to recruit nationally, as long as we're seeing dividends from it.

On 6/15/2018 at 6:43 PM, Adman said:

One thing that hasn't been discussed (I don't think) in the budget discussion is television.

The key drivers in the recruits' decision are (not necessarily in this order): big time coach, facility/locker room, playing in NCAA tourney, route to NBA, schedule, crowd size/atmosphere, and... playing on TV.

The A10 TV deal is average at best. I know SLU has underwritten TV costs to get more games on Fox Sports Midwest. But that only helps local recruiting and ticket sales to a degree. Again, not knowing current line item budgets, I'd want to look closely at creating and scheduling a made-for-TV event with a name school (or schools) in partnership with ESPN (or other network) and underwriting all or part of it for national broadcast. If Mi$$ou, Illinois, SIU-Carbondale don't want in, we'll find better.

First, I don't see national TV being interested in SLU-Mizzou, SLU-Illini, or SLU-SIUC.  They're barely interested in Mizzou-Illini.  We need to start achieving Xavier or Gonzaga success before drawing interest in Power 5 conferences.  I think the key is getting in good tournaments and then knocking off some big names there.  Then qualify for the NCAA and then make runs to multiple Sweet 16s.  That would raise the profile.

10 minutes ago, aj_arete said:

I would look at our fund-raising and see how it compares to other A-10 programs.  Our spending should match the level of resources.  I would wildly guess we're in the top four of five in the A-10, though our spending should be in that area.  If we're in the bottom half, then I would adjust our spending to be in that area.   

We're not Duke, so not giving Ford a blank check.  As for charter flights, I think that's a high priority given the far outposts and getting rid of that would put us in a competitive disadvantage.  I already think our facilities are among the top 2 in the A-10, so I don't think we need to add there.  Next priority is giving Ford the dollars he need to recruit nationally, as long as we're seeing dividends from it.

actually if we are still aspiring to a better conference some day, we should have the highest athletic department budget in every single sport.    that said, i understand with our BoT that wont ever happen.  

SLU_Lax likes this

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

actually if we are still aspiring to a better conference some day, we should have the highest athletic department budget in every single sport.    that said, i understand with our BoT that wont ever happen.  

Do they still aspire to be in the Big East?  I thought administration was content with the A-10.  That's on the AD.  Can he get enough alumni on board and boost their giving?  As a university faculty member myself, I wouldn't want SLU athletics dipping into the general fund to boost the recruiting budget.

3 minutes ago, aj_arete said:

Do they still aspire to be in the Big East?  I thought administration was content with the A-10.  That's on the AD.  Can he get enough alumni on board and boost their giving?  As a university faculty member myself, I wouldn't want SLU athletics dipping into the general fund to boost the recruiting budget.

We would jump to the Big East in a heart beat and it would more than pay for itself with increased revenues. 

1 minute ago, willie said:

We would jump to the Big East in a heart beat and it would more than pay for itself with increased revenues. 

I get that, but how do you spend beyond the athletics budget without dipping into the general fund?

2 minutes ago, aj_arete said:

I get that, but how do you spend beyond the athletics budget without dipping into the general fund?

Someone once said you have to spend money to make money. While that might be a trite saying  I do think we should increase our marketing budget. . I do think a good marketing director could increase revenue. We certainly  could have a better TV package. Corporate involvement/advertising could be a lot better. If none of this works buy lottery tickets. 

23 minutes ago, aj_arete said:

First, I don't see national TV being interested in SLU-Mizzou, SLU-Illini, or SLU-SIUC.  They're barely interested in Mizzou-Illini.  We need to start achieving Xavier or Gonzaga success before drawing interest in Power 5 conferences.  I think the key is getting in good tournaments and then knocking off some big names there.  Then qualify for the NCAA and then make runs to multiple Sweet 16s.  That would raise the profile.

Agree there would be little interest from networks, and having success first would be much better. That’s why I was recommending SLU underwrite. Guaranteeing the financials for the network - production costs, ad revenue, etc - would be major commitment and would deliver both marketing and recruiting results. It would also send message to the BE.

SLU has underwritten TV in past - on local and much less expensive basis - with Fox Sports Midwest. And who knows, maybe SLU paid to participate in last yeat’s 2K Classic at MSG as well as other made-for-TV tourneys of the past.

Money usually talks. IF there was a big pot of new money available, and SLU was willing to put it in network’s pocket, why couldn’t SLU recruit three other top 75 schools to participate in a made for TV event? Some might even help fund it. Doesn’t have to be regional with Mizzou, IL, SIU. Could be charity game with mix of top 8 conference schools, an up & comers tourney (like us,) even a Jebbie tourney delivering major TV markets with schools coast to coast. A few of many possible concepts.

I’m sure there are reasons people would say can’t be done. I’m a half-full guy. Usually, armed with enough $$, a dream, team and network relationships, smart marketers and can-do approach, things can get done.

3 hours ago, willie said:

Someone once said you have to spend money to make money. While that might be a trite saying  I do think we should increase our marketing budget. . I do think a good marketing director could increase revenue. We certainly  could have a better TV package. Corporate involvement/advertising could be a lot better. If none of this works buy lottery tickets. 

I would tell the marketing/tix person that you get a % of the increase in revenue from sales after a certain level.  Make them have a reason to raise every extra dollar they can.

2 hours ago, Adman said:

Agree there would be little interest from networks, and having success first would be much better. That’s why I was recommending SLU underwrite. Guaranteeing the financials for the network - production costs, ad revenue, etc - would be major commitment and would deliver both marketing and recruiting results. It would also send message to the BE.

SLU has underwritten TV in past - on local and much less expensive basis - with Fox Sports Midwest. And who knows, maybe SLU paid to participate in last yeat’s 2K Classic at MSG as well as other made-for-TV tourneys of the past.

Money usually talks. IF there was a big pot of new money available, and SLU was willing to put it in network’s pocket, why couldn’t SLU recruit three other top 75 schools to participate in a made for TV event? Some might even help fund it. Doesn’t have to be regional with Mizzou, IL, SIU. Could be charity game with mix of top 8 conference schools, an up & comers tourney (like us,) even a Jebbie tourney delivering major TV markets with schools coast to coast. A few of many possible concepts.

I’m sure there are reasons people would say can’t be done. I’m a half-full guy. Usually, armed with enough $$, a dream, team and network relationships, smart marketers and can-do approach, things can get done.

That might be able to work.  Maybe include Loyola-Chicago and then try to attract two other Power 5 regional teams and that could work.

On 6/25/2018 at 1:17 PM, willie said:

This need to spend money to make money does work in business and investing, but sports? I think the formula for sports is different. I would suggest "You have to win games in order to make money." We started making money but that ended after the death of Majerus, when we went into a spiral of losses (game losses, no need to explain why we all know why). Now we have what may be an opportunity to win a fair number of games, some against high rank opponents. I would say the way to do it is to get the winning teams on board first, win the games against the good teams, and then start worrying about how to spend the money. This is after you get the money flowing in, not before you get the money flowing in.

25 minutes ago, jonny karate said:

Better game day handouts! Or get spinster for better game handouts. I want bobble heads jerseys and cups.

Every local brewery has a couple taps

Better gameday experience in general, it’s honestly like someone thinks that the game on the floor should be enough entertainment. Yes it’s enough for die hards like us but a fun and exciting presentation can rope in casual fans and most importantly impressionable kids 

22 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Better gameday experience in general, it’s honestly like someone thinks that the game on the floor should be enough entertainment. Yes it’s enough for die hards like us but a fun and exciting presentation can rope in casual fans and most importantly impressionable kids 

could we play rap beats during the game like in the NBA? serious question.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

This need to spend money to make money does work in business and investing, but sports? I think the formula for sports is different. I would suggest "You have to win games in order to make money." We started making money but that ended after the death of Majerus, when we went into a spiral of losses (game losses, no need to explain why we all know why). Now we have what may be an opportunity to win a fair number of games, some against high rank opponents. I would say the way to do it is to get the winning teams on board first, win the games against the good teams, and then start worrying about how to spend the money. This is after you get the money flowing in, not before you get the money flowing in.

Totally disagree. 

Did we wait for big dollars to begin rolling in before building Chaifetz, hiring Majerus and upping basketball budgets? Of course not.

We did it because we made a Top 50 program commitment with hope that dollars would follow. For student life and alum relations reasons, too. 

The questions of where funding came from (donors or University,) whether our current budgeting can achieve our goals, and whether dollars have (or haven’t) subsequently flowed back from investment are all excellent. But not material to the question of whether upfront investment in University marketing is ever warranted to make the good things we all want to actually happen.

Disagree, we got the arena only because one man, Chaifetz, got a hold of us and gave us a dream and a pile of money to do it with. No Chaifetz, no arena. If the day after tomorrow Mr. of Ms X comes out of the woodwork with a pile of money in hand and a dream, I am pretty sure SLU will find the way to accommodate  his or her desires. Find the guy or gal, then you can build his or her dream, whatever the dream may be.

I am not sure what came first the idea of building a new arena and get a top 50 program, or Chaifetz. At any rate we built a great arena, the part of the top 50 program has not been achieved as yet. I am pretty sure that the current arena would not have been built without Chaifetz's intervention. Looking at future plans, upfront investing out of the budget into issues like these is not feasible given the level of our current endowment, income, and expenses. Pestello has been very clear about this in the near past.

What SLU really needs is a big donor with a big athletic related dream involving SLU. If we do not get that but manage to get a really good team that wins consistently we may also raise enough money to do this, even without the big donor. 

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

Disagree, we got the arena only because one man, Chaifetz, got a hold of us and gave us a dream and a pile of money to do it with. No Chaifetz, no arena. If the day after tomorrow Mr. of Ms X comes out of the woodwork with a pile of money in hand and a dream, I am pretty sure SLU will find the way to accommodate  his or her desires. Find the guy or gal, then you can build his or her dream, whatever the dream may be.

I am not sure what came first the idea of building a new arena and get a top 50 program, or Chaifetz. At any rate we built a great arena, the part of the top 50 program has not been achieved as yet. I am pretty sure that the current arena would not have been built without Chaifetz's intervention. Looking at future plans, upfront investing out of the budget into issues like these is not feasible given the level of our current endowment, income, and expenses. Pestello has been very clear about this in the near past.

What SLU really needs is a big donor with a big athletic related dream involving SLU. If we do not get that but manage to get a really good team that wins consistently we may also raise enough money to do this, even without the big donor. 

while i understand dr chaifetz gave the biggest donation, it is my understanding that the lions share of the cost was indeed financed and pays for itself via keeping the arena busy.   

slufanskip likes this