Basketball spending

It's the off-season. If you could pick one area to spend more money for men's basketball, what would you spend it on?  Better facilities, charter flights, athlete housing, better coach pay? Just curious how people would rank priorities. 

This is not intended to bash anyone or ***** about more money. Really just curious how people would spend the money. Think SLU basketball won the lottery.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

just give ford the authority to spend as he sees fit

Agreed, he knows better than any of us what additional $$$ should be spent on to help advance the program.

BTW I suspect that additional money will be generated by the basketball program based on increased attendance, concessions, sponsor ships and Billiken Club donations all due to having a NCAA quality team.

Heck, we might even be able to get an article about the program every month or two when there is room in the Post-Disgrace Sports section. Given that there have been 2 articles in that Rag in the last 3 days about the SPUMAC MBB team and its god-like HC wishing that that "newspaper" give some ink to the city university that shares its name, might be too much to expect.  They still haven't reported anything on the Wiley commitment .  (Blue font alert) I'm having trouble finding out if Jontay Porter has decided to return to the state university's MBB team!!!

Brighton likes this

3 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Increase the recruiting budget; hire and retain the crack photo editors who impress recruits with the "makeovers" that entice them to join the program.  Gimmicky, perhaps, but if it works....

Not as specific as you made it but more money needs to be spent on digital editing and in house video production. We lag far behind in this compared to the rest of the NCAA 

3 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

Great in theory but wouldnt he just put it all towards coaches pay?

when asked before his wants and needs he used the money to fix the lockerroom,   

Should have the highest coaching staff payroll in the A10. Charter flights. Recruiting. Wasn't there a post a while ago about where we stood in terms of $ spent in the A10? And didn't it show we were like 4th or 5th? We need to be numero uno just in case the Beast ever considers expanding. But most important we need to keep Travis Ford happy... very happy.

Pay to have video highlights available that are 1) from the actual TV broadcast and not the odd angles SLU uses for highlights and 2) available quickly after a game ends. This is pretty common for most solid programs and would really be cool on Twitter to share and grow exposure for the program. 

I never see this happening but what about a separate marketing department just for basketball? Seems like the current SLU marketing squad is pretty bad, but what if Ford got a marketing firm to promote the team with videos, billboards, etc.? Just outsource the whole thing.

2 minutes ago, TJHawk said:

My money would go towards where the players spend the most time, the housing.

See that was my first response. My list (sans giving the money to TFord)

1) Housing

2) Hang out/ common area for players

3) Charter Flights

4) Coach Ford Raise

5) High more coaches

6) assistant coach raises

7) all around tech upgrades for improved player experience

i believe (third hand info) that the Athletic Department gets big boosters to sponsor road trips.  i.e. booster xyz will pay all the expenses of a trip to play VCU.   it isnt necessarily that slu has increased the budget to cover the expense as we have solicited boosters to step up and make it happen. again,  that is third hand information so take it for what it is worth.  

Years ago when St Anthony's was one of the sponsors of the team, there was a flight to NY to see the Fordham game.  I believe each sponsor got two airline tickets, lodging and game tickets.  They knew I was Bills crazy, offered me the seats and tickets, and off I went.  Don't know if they still do that, but it was cool then.  Don't know if any sponsor ponied up more $ to allow that, or it came with paying for having your name on the side boards throughout the game.

mhg