How is this possible???

Illinois, one of the most dire states in the union financially, has an AD (former Wash U AD) able to raise money for a hockey program. When are people going to seriously realize SLU deserves better across the whole university? How do the higher ups at SLU, BoT or long time donors think this is impossible. Hockey is so big in STL, AD that’s been at SLU over 10 years hasn’t figured that out, especially with no football, then again he watched as soccer declined. So I guess no surprises there, he is consistent. I don’t get it. One thing is for sure you will never hear the words SLU AD and savvy in same sentence or article. 

prebilliken likes this

49 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

Illinois, one of the most dire states in the union financially, has an AD (former Wash U AD) able to raise money for a hockey program. When are people going to seriously realize SLU deserves better across the whole university? How do the higher ups at SLU, BoT or long time donors think this is impossible. Hockey is so big in STL, AD that’s been at SLU over 10 years hasn’t figured that out, especially with no football, then again he watched as soccer declined. So I guess no surprises there, he is consistent. I don’t get it. One thing is for sure you will never hear the words SLU AD and savvy in same sentence or article. 

It's not that they can't or don't think we can raise the money I believe the BoT would rather raise for other purposes

SLU athletics is not a priority.

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

It's not that they can't or don't think we can raise the money I believe the BoT would rather raise for other purposes

SLU athletics is not a priority.

Also, to be fair to May and the B of T, the Illini have multiples of 100,000 more total graduates and athletic supporters than SLU.

Heck in another thread recently we have complained about the baseball and soccer facilities so we can't even get our supporters to shell out for those sports, let alone adding another.  In addition, if hockey would be a NCAA program with the required scholarships to be competitive, it would affect the Title 9 required balance of male/female scholarships which would have an impact on current male teams.

In other words, it ain't gonna happen.  Heck in a hotbed of soccer, city like St. Louis we can't even afford more than partial scholarships to a limited number of players, with the other players, in effect, walking on and/or getting some academic scholarship dollars..

Sure May could do a better job of fundraising, but I for one am tapped out with my Billiken Club and season ticket expenditures and I sit with a group of guys who are in the same situation.  Supporters, but don't ask for more! 

Hit the good and generous Dr. C. for more?  I would rather keep his budgeted SLU athletic support funds going to the MBB program than to a new sport.

If you are a big hockey person, go to a few more Blues games.

cgeldmacher likes this

8 hours ago, Billy Ken said:

I find it hard to believe that the athletic department has to run fundraising efforts for certain purposes by the BoT. The obsession with the BoT around here is ridiculous. If I were to say here’s 50 million to convert Chaifetz for hockey that Chris May would have to go to the BoT for permission to spend that money. 

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

I find it hard to believe that the athletic department has to run fundraising efforts for certain purposes by the BoT. The obsession with the BoT around here is ridiculous. If I were to say here’s 50 million to convert Chaifetz for hockey that Chris May would have to go to the BoT for permission to spend that money. 

Sorry, but he would have to go and get the BOT approval.  Nothing can happen without the approval of the that group - they are the legal entity for SLU.  

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

The obesscion exist because the university has a history of rejecting money that wasn’t raised for approved projects. 

Seriously, it only takes the school doing this one time to kill people trying to raise funds on their own.  SLU has told donors to take a hike twice in the past decade who  raised money on their own for different projects to improve the the athletic department. 

TheChosenOne likes this

8 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

That can’t be true.

Why can't it - who do you think is the legal governing body of SLU - it is not the administration, they only serve at the request of the BOT.  SLU is not  owned by the Jesuits or the Catholic Church.  When the arena was built Biondi got TIF money and when it was challenged in court the school's position was that we were not a religious owned school but owned and run by a lay board.  It went to the Missouri Supreme Court and they agreed with Biondi.  

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Why can't it - who do you think is the legal governing body of SLU - it is not the administration, they only serve at the request of the BOT.  SLU is not  owned by the Jesuits or the Catholic Church.  When the arena was built Biondi got TIF money and when it was challenged in court the school's position was that we were not a religious owned school but owned and run by a lay board.  It went to the Missouri Supreme Court and they agreed with Biondi.  

So the BOT (run by a lay board) supported the handling of S2

Why is it that everybody is assuming the money would come from current donors?  Illinois started with a feasibility study, has SLU ever looked at it.  In that case the NHL and Blackhawks went to them but has May or SLU ever approached the Blues about it?  They have a very large local ownership group and presenting the argument that it could help grow hockey in the region in an area with a ton of NHL alumni could be compelling to get some of them who don't donate to give money for it.  Maybe some NHL Alumni would give some money to it and they don't give to SLU currently.  Announcing a feasibility study also would show how much excitement there actually is or isn't for it in the area.  

Could SLU then do a season ticket study to see how many people would be interested?  They can compare that list of people they get to current donors and basketball season ticket holders to see how many new possible donors they could have.  

What is the cost to turn Chaifetz into a dual purpose arena?  Could they get more Disney on ice type shows and make a better profit then they do now when they have to bring in ice for the shows?  

Maybe these things have been done and cost wise they can't see it but I just find it hard to believe if May went to the BoT and just said he wanted to do work on a feasibility study of adding hockey they would say no.  Now before collecting money and going through with it of course they would have to get approval.  

billikenfan05 likes this

1 hour ago, Billboy1 said:

So the BOT (run by a lay board) supported the handling of S2

Since the BoT won't make a statement we really don't know how they feel about S2, however considering pesty, krafty, and stormy are business as usual with their cushy slu jobs, I'd assume the BoT is all in the way it was handled.

The cost of converting Chaifetz into a hockey arena is the same as the cost to rebuild the whole thing.  It was built  around a basketball court.  That is what we wanted and still want.  The arenas that are build for hockey are terrible for basketball sitelines.

On 6/10/2018 at 2:30 AM, bauman said:

In other words, it ain't gonna happen.  Heck in a hotbed of soccer, city like St. Louis we can't even afford more than partial scholarships to a limited number of players, with the other players, in effect, walking on and/or getting some academic scholarship dollars..

To be fair, the NCAA (thanks Title IX) limits men's soccer to a paltry 9.9 scholarships. As there's 11 players on the field at one time, 2 back-up keepers and at least another 7 field players in the rotation, it's easy to see that most university's choose to split the scholarships to attract a more players (instead of full scholarships on a few) and rely on academic scholarships for a large portion of the players. So we can't blame the SLU administration this time.

billikenfan05 likes this

22 minutes ago, William Iken said:

To be fair, the NCAA (thanks Title IX) limits men's soccer to a paltry 9.9 scholarships. As there's 11 players on the field at one time, 2 back-up keepers and at least another 7 field players in the rotation, it's easy to see that most university's choose to split the scholarships to attract a more players (instead of full scholarships on a few) and rely on academic scholarships for a large portion of the players. So we can't blame the SLU administration this time.

To expand on that SLU uses the full amount. The idea that you don’t have a minimum of 11 scholarships is baffling 

William Iken likes this

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

To expand on that SLU uses the full amount. The idea that you don’t have a minimum of 11 scholarships is baffling 

The NAIA is the reasonable association here and allows 12 scholarships for men's soccer - at least enough to field a team. There must be a formula - 9.9 seems odd - but not sure what it is. But if I recall correctly it's the same number as when I was in college back in the early 1990s.