Welcome to SLU Dion Wiley

15 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Boom! Roster looks great on paper. The coaching staff has done a great job addressing what we lost (and I still sometimes wonder just how good Henriquez would have been for us), well done Coach Ford and company. 

It is really nice to have a staff that 'gets it' in terms of recruiting in 2018. Never stop recruiting.  will always happen. I'm sure last year was a firm reminder of that as well. 

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is Jacobs and Pearson are the two being discussed here. Jacobs because of academics. I am thinking Pearson because Hankton has a similar skill set. Thatch is going to be a beast so I hope it is not him.

Deepest roster SLU has ever had.

kshoe likes this

I think we should cool it on speculating about name of a player possibly having qualifying issues.  It isn't fair to any of the kids. That said, I would be surprised if Jacobs was the player.  I just don't think Ford would have signed a kid in the late period with possible qualifying issues after having to deal with a depleted roster during the S2 fiasco.

8 hours ago, William Iken said:

@Billiken Bobdid not say qualification issue. Actually his first response to the question of how someone can not turn up was asking for a letter of release. Someone else mentioned not qualifying, and Bob responded that's the second way. But the initial response was not qualification issue, it was seeking release.

Maybe I am reading too much into that, but you and others have just jumped on the non-qualification route. Seems to me he left either option available, and maybe even hinted it was the first.

His response could also imply that with the player not coming is requesting a release, and the "second situation" is the player he is not sure will arrive - meaning maybe he won't qualify.

Care to clarify Bob?

He's saying one is asking for a release and the other may not qualify. I didn't jump on anything that wasn't there.

I didn't know much about Wiley before today.

He was the #52 recruit in the 2014 class, according to 247sports (Scout at the time). Chose Maryland over a ton of others - Villanova, Georgetown, Florida, Virginia, Indiana, and more. He didn't play much his freshman year, then tore his meniscus and missed the next season. Then when he returned, he played through a lingering back injury. Last season was the first where he got decent minutes - 21.7 per game - and shot 36.7% from the perimeter, where he takes about two thirds of his attempts. He considers himself a shooter and a playmaker with high-level ball handling skills.

He says he's 100% recovered from all injuries and in the best shape of his life. I thought it was interesting that he was 6-3, 185 coming out of HS and is now listed at 6-4, 210. He's clearly much stronger. He comes across as genuine in the articles where he's quoted about his departure from Maryland, saying it was a dream to go to the in-state power for college but that things didn't work out the way he planned and he's grateful for the opportunity. He says that now he thinks he'll be able to show everyone why he was a top-60 recruit. Here's hoping!

High-level potential here. I'm excited.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I didn't know much about Wiley before today.

He was the #52 recruit in the 2014 class, according to 247sports (Scout at the time). Chose Maryland over a ton of others - Villanova, Georgetown, Florida, Virginia, Indiana, and more. He didn't play much his freshman year, then tore his meniscus and missed the next season. Then when he returned, he played through a lingering back injury. Last season was the first where he got decent minutes - 21.7 per game - and shot 36.7% from the perimeter, where he takes about two thirds of his attempts. He considers himself a shooter and a playmaker with high-level ball handling skills.

He says he's 100% recovered from all injuries and in the best shape of his life. I thought it was interesting that he was 6-3, 185 coming out of HS and is now listed at 6-4, 210. He's clearly much stronger. He comes across as genuine in the articles where he's quoted about his departure from Maryland, saying it was a dream to go to the in-state power for college but that things didn't work out the way he planned and he's grateful for the opportunity. He says that now he thinks he'll be able to show everyone why he was a top-60 recruit. Here's hoping!

High-level potential here. I'm excited.

Also interesting that Wiley committed after Isabell committed. Obviously feeling himself. 

Practices are going to be insane. Such a huge, mature team. 

1 minute ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Also interesting that Wiley committed after Isabell committed. Obviously feeling himself. 

Practices are going to be insane. Such a huge, mature team. 

So the scholarship charts look like this, until we figure out who asked out of his LOI and who might not qualify:

SR: Bess, Foreman, Isabell, Wiley

JR: Santos

SO: Goodwin, French, Welmer

FR: Gordon, Thatch, Pearson, Gudmundsson, Jacobs, Hankton

Guards: Isabell, Wiley, Goodwin, Thatch, Gudmundsson, Jacobs

Wings: Bess, Welmer, Pearson, Hankton

Bigs: Foreman, Santos, French, Gordon

Yes, obviously 1-2 names will be missing soon. But man, you're right. Practices are going to be battles every single time. This is the most physical roster we've ever had.

AGB91 and David King like this

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

You could've admitted you got it wrong instead of giving me a bad post.

Childish, mate. How is this statement wrong: "His response could also imply that with the player not coming is requesting a release, and the "second situation" is the player he is not sure will arrive - meaning maybe he won't qualify"?

That's actually what @Billiken Bob clarified later on...

Several hours later, you post the same response as if you're enlightened and ignoring Bob already stated exactly what he meant (which is my above quote - which you somehow just called "wrong"). So I gave you a bad post for simply re-confirming what the source already confirmed. You giving me a bad post within seconds is, as I said above, very childish.

Edit: Note that I gave B Bob's response of "Correct" a good post, over 2.5 hours ago!

3 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Motion to keep this topic on track and discuss how f'n awesome this team is now. 

Do I have a second? 

Here here. I’m sad to think about which one(s) of the fourteen won’t be on the final roster. I’m genuinely excited for every player on the roster after only having like six dudes last year. 

13 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Motion to keep this topic on track and discuss how f'n awesome this team is now. 

Do I have a second? 

You have a third motion here

7 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Here here. I’m sad to think about which one(s) of the fourteen won’t be on the final roster. I’m genuinely excited for every player on the roster after only having like six dudes last year. 

While it is sad to think (at least) 1 of those incoming freshman won't be on the team, I agree with Billiken Bob's assertion that in the grand scheme of things, this is better. A very successful 2018-19 season will translate well on the recruiting front and I'm confident that whoever is replacing the one(s) leaving will better (or at the very least equal). 

51 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I would be disappointed to lose any of the committed freshmen but I do like that the classes will be a little more even. Also, a non-qualifier could go to a year of prep school and then be a 2019 commit for us.

That's a good point. Problem is will we be able to keep him in the fold? If it's Pearson, I'd be worried. 6'8" guys w/ good handles and can shoot the 3 will draw lots of attention.

I don't know why the AD can't come out and tell the fan base/public who the two players are.

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

That's a good point. Problem is will we be able to keep him in the fold? If it's Pearson, I'd be worried. 6'8" guys w/ good handles and can shoot the 3 will draw lots of attention.

I don't know why the AD can't come out and tell the fan base/public who the two players are.

Well sounds like the qualifying one is still up in the air but yea if they did release a kid from his LOI, wonder why the kid or SLU hasn't said something.  

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

So the scholarship charts look like this, until we figure out who asked out of his LOI and who might not qualify:

SR: Bess, Foreman, Isabell, Wiley

JR: Santos

SO: Goodwin, French, Welmer

FR: Gordon, Thatch, Pearson, Gudmundsson, Jacobs, Hankton

Guards: Isabell, Wiley, Goodwin, Thatch, Gudmundsson, Jacobs

Wings: Bess, Welmer, Pearson, Hankton

Bigs: Foreman, Santos, French, Gordon

Yes, obviously 1-2 names will be missing soon. But man, you're right. Practices are going to be battles every single time. This is the most physical roster we've ever had.

I know you have posted this a number of times, but I think Welmer more properly should be classified as a Jr. not a Soph. 

He has been at SLU for 3 years, one of which could be a Redshirt year.  To get a second Redshirt year, it would have to be an approved medical redshirt and I have not seen an announcement from SLU that he has been approved for the medical Redshirt.  That means he has used 2 of his 5 years of eligibility, making him a rising Jr.

In any case I cannot envision him staying at SLU on a basketball scholarship for 3 more years.  I would put him with Santos as a Jr. unless you have seen an official announcement about him receiving a medical Redshirt. 

6 minutes ago, bauman said:

I know you have posted this a number of times, but I think Welmer more properly should be classified as a Jr. not a Soph. 

He has been at SLU for 3 years, one of which could be a Redshirt year.  To get a second Redshirt year, it would have to be an approved medical redshirt and I have not seen an announcement from SLU that he has been approved for the medical Redshirt.  That means he has used 2 of his 5 years of eligibility, making him a rising Jr.

In any case I cannot envision him staying at SLU on a basketball scholarship for 3 more years.  I would put him with Santos as a Jr. unless you have seen an official announcement about him receiving a medical Redshirt. 

Yeah, I'm operating under the assumption he gets a second medical redshirt. He has applied for one, and I don't see why he wouldn't get it.

We never got an announcement about Jermaine Bishop, either. I figure I just have to go with the best information I have, and make the most reasonable assumptions. Of course I'll update as soon as there's any news.

I would also be sad to see any of the freshman recruits bow out for whatever reason.  However, with the way that Ford and his staff are able to recruit, having extra openings next season, after recruits, hopefully, get to see us having a successful season, is not a bad thing at all.