Welcome to SLU Dion Wiley

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3131633/dion-wiley

Stats.: 50 career assists, to go with 65 turn overs, so he ain't a point guard.  36.37% from the arc last season on 36 of 98.  Doesn't get to the foul line, 7 of 9 last year and 40 of 59 for the three seasons at Maryland.

I’ll never understand the hang up many have on this board with labeling guards. We went to three NCAA tournaments with 3 guards that could all bring the ball up the court. Guards are guards

AGB91 likes this

My sister and Dad went to Maryland so I watch a lot of Terps ball. This is a great get. He deserves another go at it because of all the adversity he faced with injuries. By all accounts he is a good guy and hard worker too. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3131633/dion-wiley

Stats.: 50 career assists, to go with 65 turn overs, so he ain't a point guard.  36.7% from the arc last season on 36 of 98.  Doesn't get to the foul line, 7 of 9 last year and 40 of 59 for the three seasons at Maryland. 

Optimism, try it sometime.

billikens747 likes this

11 hours ago, JMM28 said:

I personally blame @Pistolfor this. He tried to shut down the 2018 recruiting list. 

Id guess eligibility issues would come from Thor or Jacobs with the foreign and prep school issues being common. 

Asking out of NLI at this point is weird, but could be anyone. 

I'll take that.

I should've known that after Ford publicly said that they're open to another grad transfer but are otherwise done, and then Hankton suddenly committed, that something wasn't right. Especially when Isabell made it official shortly thereafter. That made a clean 13, but we wondered about a 6-man freshman class, and I should've known something wasn't settled yet.

Welmer is the obvious first question mark, given his injury history.

Edit: Removing public speculation about which other players it could be...yes, even though I'm quoted elsewhere.

42 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'll take that.

I should've known that after Ford publicly said that they're open to another grad transfer but are otherwise done, and then Hankton suddenly committed, that something wasn't right. Especially when Isabell made it official shortly thereafter. That made a clean 13, but we wondered about a 6-man freshman class, and I should've known something wasn't settled yet.

Welmer was the obvious first question mark, given his injury history.

But with the newcomers, if Billiken Bob is saying it's a qualification issue for one, I have to go with Jacobs there. There were some questions out of HS for him - he was committed to SIUC and there was speculation whether he'd have to sit a year at the time - and the prep school he chose is known for basketball and everything else being fly-by-night shady AF (terrible dorm conditions, sham online classes, etc.). Given that Ingvi took the same route as Jon Axel, who had no problems with immediate eligibility at one of the most academically rigorous schools in D-I, unless something has changed with international rules, I don't think there's a qualification issue with him. Is he the one asking for a release? If not, then who? (I'd be less surprised if it were him than any of the others.)

@Billiken Bobdid not say qualification issue. Actually his first response to the question of how someone can not turn up was asking for a letter of release. Someone else mentioned not qualifying, and Bob responded that's the second way. But the initial response was not qualification issue, it was seeking release.

Maybe I am reading too much into that, but you and others have just jumped on the non-qualification route. Seems to me he left either option available, and maybe even hinted it was the first.

His response could also imply that with the player not coming is requesting a release, and the "second situation" is the player he is not sure will arrive - meaning maybe he won't qualify.

Care to clarify Bob?

1 hour ago, William Iken said:

@Billiken Bobdid not say qualification issue. Actually his first response to the question of how someone can not turn up was asking for a letter of release. Someone else mentioned not qualifying, and Bob responded that's the second way. But the initial response was not qualification issue, it was seeking release.

Maybe I am reading too much into that, but you and others have just jumped on the non-qualification route. Seems to me he left either option available, and maybe even hinted it was the first.

His response could also imply that with the player not coming is requesting a release, and the "second situation" is the player he is not sure will arrive - meaning maybe he won't qualify.

Care to clarify Bob?

I think the confusion is that BBob is referring to two separate signees in his initial post — one that is changing his mind and seeking a release, and one who may not be able to qualify. 

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

I'll take that.

Welmer was the obvious first question mark, given his injury history.

But with the newcomers, if Billiken Bob is saying it's a qualification issue for one, I have to go with Jacobs there. There were some questions out of HS for him - he was committed to SIUC and there was speculation whether he'd have to sit a year at the time - and the prep school he chose is known for basketball and everything else being fly-by-night shady AF (terrible dorm conditions, sham online classes, etc.). Given that Ingvi took the same route as Jon Axel, who had no problems with immediate eligibility at one of the most academically rigorous schools in D-I, unless something has changed with international rules, I don't think there's a qualification issue with him. Is he the one asking for a release? If not, then who? (I'd be less surprised if it were him than any of the others.)

Did Thor sign an LOI?  I know the other 4 did but can't recall if he was late enough that he would just sign the financial aid agreement and not sure if that requires the same release procedure as LOI.  

Thanks Rich.

I am not a spokesman for SLU.  It is up to them to make an official announcement.  However, I am sure about one signee asking for a release.  There is another who may or may not make it here.

But if we analyze things with an open mind,  this weekend is a big gain for the Bills.  We just signed two very good players and will have their scholarships to use again next year and try to recruit over the one or two players that may not or do not show up this year.

20 minutes ago, Billiken Bob said:

Thanks Rich.

I am not a spokesman for SLU.  It is up to them to make an official announcement.  However, I am sure about one signee asking for a release.  There is another who may or may not make it here.

But if we analyze things with an open mind,  this weekend is a big gain for the Bills.  We just signed two very good players and will have their scholarships to use again next year and try to recruit over the one or two players that may not or do not show up this year.

The board owes you a big thank you.  If not for your post, we would be having meltdown #318 about Gordon not being solid.  I really am glad I don’t have to see that again.

GBL_Bills, Zink and TheDude like this

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The board owes you a big thank you.  If not for your post, we would be having meltdown #318 about Gordon not being solid.  I really am glad I don’t have to see that again.

Yes, Bob. We do appreciate it and please forgive me for overreacting. It has just seemed neverending at times in regards to attrition.

23 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

What a weekend for Saint Louis. Travis Ford & Co. address their perimeter holes with additions of Tramaine Isabell & Dion Wiley. Most talented roster in the A10.

Boom! Roster looks great on paper. The coaching staff has done a great job addressing what we lost (and I still sometimes wonder just how good Henriquez would have been for us), well done Coach Ford and company. 

William Iken likes this