2018-19 season

I feel bad for Welmer, the guy needs to stop playing for his own good.  He will probably appreciate being able to put weight on his foot without weight when he is 40.

I’m not crushed because I never really expected him to play in the first place.  Been down this road twice before with him.

cheeseman likes this

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I feel bad for Welmer, the guy needs to stop playing for his own good.  He will probably appreciate being able to put weight on his foot without weight pain when he is 40.

I’m not crushed because I never really expected him to play in the first place.  Been down this road twice before with him.

I'm guessing this is what you meant.

56 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

3 in one day and the season hasn't started. So we are down to nine scholarship players. We have our rotation.

The problem with this is that two injuries during the season and we are at 7 damn players yet again. 

People shouldn’t be minimizing these losses (yes, I know Jacobs and Hankton aren’t necessarily out)

6 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Jacobs was waiting for some class work if I remember correctly and it was completed late this summer.  I guess the NCAA is just slow in stamping the paperwork - hopefully.

Remember when it took half of a season for the NCAA to decide what to do with a pass/fail class that Cody Ellis took in Australia? That was neat.

I’d say Welmer needs to go on the Femi John memorial scholarship, but I think he wouldn’t be eligible for that because he has or is about the graduate.

It’s in his best post graduate educational interests to try to continue his career at SLU so he can get many degrees. That’s a tough spot for Ford. Effectively needs to launch the guy if he doesn’t believe he’s ever going to be healthy. 

1 minute ago, JMM28 said:

I’d say Welmer needs to go on the Femi John memorial scholarship, but I think he wouldn’t be eligible for that because he has or is about the graduate.

Welmer graduated with a marketing degree this past May, so he is likely a summer and fall into some sort of graduate program (I would assume MBA).

11 hours ago, JMM28 said:

It’s in his best post graduate educational interests to try to continue his career at SLU so he can get many degrees. That’s a tough spot for Ford. Effectively needs to launch the guy if he doesn’t believe he’s ever going to be healthy. 

If schollies are renewed each year then why could you not simply not renew Welmer.  He has gotten 2 degrees what more could he expect from the school.  Here is a thought keep him around as a graduate asst if he wants to go get another degree.  He is starting to sound like someone's brother-in-law that is still living in your basement while he completes that ever elusive 3rd degree.  I know he has been hurt but really he needs to just move on with his life - hanging out with 18-19 year old is not a good look at his age.

Glorydays2013 likes this

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

If schollies are renewed each year then why could you not simply not renew Welmer.  He has gotten 2 degrees what more could he expect from the school.  Here is a thought keep him around as a graduate asst if he wants to go get another degree.  He is starting to sound like someone's brother-in-law that is still living in your basement while he completes that ever elusive 3rd degree.  I know he has been hurt but really he needs to just move on with his life - hanging out with 18-19 year old is not a good look at his age.

Probably the same situation as a coach not blocking transfers at times...the PR hit would hurt recruiting. 

11 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Isabell is 23.  Wiley and Bess are 22. I'm guessing Foreman is 22/23 also.  What is the magic age when we kick guys out of the program so that it doesn't look bad?

12 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Wtf is this post. He's trying to play basketball at the college level cause I'm sure it's been a dream of his since he was a little kid. We should be praising this kid for working so hard to come back and try to contribute after all he has been through. Not diminishing him for hanging out with his younger teammates. This is such a terrible post.

8 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Isabell is 23.  Wiley and Bess are 22. I'm guessing Foreman is 22/23 also.  What is the magic age when we kick guys out of the program so that it doesn't look bad?

Those two are grad transfers. Welder has 2 years of eligibility left - at least that is what has been posted here. Those two will be done this year. Welmer has 2 more years after this one. Apples to oranges 

17 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Those two are grad transfers. Welder has 2 years of eligibility left - at least that is what has been posted here. Those two will be done this year. Welmer has 2 more years after this one. Apples to oranges 

No it's not.  You said it was a bad look to have older players hanging with 18-19 year olds.  You either say the 23 is okay, or you say Isabell is too old to hang around the young players.  Same with Bess at 22 and Foreman.  State an age where you want to make the cut. 

Ridiculous comment on your part.  Are you for age discrimination or against it at the college basketball level?

11 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I read that to suggest that he’s deciding whether to have surgery.

Please remember that there is a limited number of surgical procedures that can be done to fix a recurrent problem. The greater the number of recurrences, the more difficult the surgery, and the more unlikely it becomes to obtain full recovery. Since we do not know, and have never known, the nature of the recurrent injury, that is all that can be said at this time. He has a lot to think about if he is considering a 3rd surgical procedure.