2018-19 season

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

I've never slept on Gordon but it does seem like we are hyping up every other player but him. 

SLU hasn't had a player sniff the league since Mo Jeffers.  Gordon will be a 1st round pick and have an NBA career barring injury.  That is his floor on day one.  We have not had a recruit this good since Hughes.  

This will be the most talented SLU squad since the 11-12 team and the most talented player is a freshman, Carteare Gordon.

Willie reed?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Willie Reed.  He played here, suspended, left the team, then took two years to break into the league.  If you want to still claim him as a Billiken fine but he's totally different than other players who developed at SLU and went to the league.  

billiken_roy likes this

So when the NBA register lists Willie Reed's school, does it say, "Saint Louis"?

I can't fathom why any Billiken fan would dismiss Reed when discussing alumni in the NBA.

Note: "alumni" can be used more loosely than someone who graduated from a school.  I got my degree from the University of Missouri-St. Louis, but Lake Forest College (where I spent my first three semesters) considers me to be an alumnus of their institution.  In fact, if you complete a class there, they'll consider you an alum after four years even if you never earn a degree anywhere.

33 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Isabell graduated today FYI 

Thank you for the update and now it’s Jacobs turn to get it done join the Billiken family and soar to high places.

14 hours ago, thetorch said:

Willie Reed.  He played here, suspended, left the team, then took two years to break into the league.  If you want to still claim him as a Billiken fine but he's totally different than other players who developed at SLU and went to the league.  

knocking WR because he got suspended for kangaroo court 1, decided to declare for the draft as dozens of kids with NBA potential do, then was paid to play basketball for a couple seasons before he made the NBA? 😂😂😂😂

is that like a “he owed SLU more” rant?? do people really not claim him? that’s awesome. bonus points if you boycott applebee’s 

do we give up our claim to larry legend under the billiken development rules also because we really need him 

12 hours ago, thetorch said:

i completely agree with torch.   and for the record, willie's issues were far beyond S1 with incidents at slu.   i too dont recognize willie reed as a billiken any longer.   slu gave him chance after chance to do the right thing and he let us down.  

18 hours ago, Pistol said:

I think because there's been such a long period since his verbal commitment (October 2016) and there has been so much noise in terms of rumors and media and whatnot since then, we've mostly forgotten what a HUGE F-ING DEAL it is that Carte'Are Gordon is at SLU.

His boy Tyler is right. All he's done is win. He's arguably the most talented player we've landed since Larry Hughes, and I think only Goodwin is the other one with a potential claim in there.

Even the most rabid SLU fans seem to put a caveat before every half-positive statement about CG these days. "Well, that highlight video only showed dunks. Kinda one dimensional." "That two-week suspension has me a little nervous." "There's a lot of noise on Twitter, I'm not so sure about this." And then Frank's statement yesterday.

Come on.

He's on campus and he's already working out. A guy he's close enough with to be featured next to him in his Twitter profile picture just said he's finna turn SLU up, and I tend to agree with him. CG is the real deal. I'm going to set aside any apprehensions or perpetually beaten down SLU fan nervousness and go all in on this one.

giphy.gif

Pistol likes this

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i completely agree with torch.   and for the record, willie's issues were far beyond S1 with incidents at slu.   i too dont recognize willie reed as a billiken any longer.   slu gave him chance after chance to do the right thing and he let us down.  

So Billiken for life ... until you’re not. Willie still only says the best things about SLU. Was he perfect? No. Was he far from perfect? Yes. But he is a Billiken. 

Billiken Rich likes this

Willie was a young man when he was here. No one wants their teen years and early twenties judged through the eyes of 50 somethings. Most of us did things we aren't proud of. Willie was a Billiken and appears to be proud of it. I wish him good look and think he should be claimed as a Billiken.

17 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

So when the NBA register lists Willie Reed's school, does it say, "Saint Louis"?

I can't fathom why any Billiken fan would dismiss Reed when discussing alumni in the NBA.

Note: "alumni" can be used more loosely than someone who graduated from a school.  I got my degree from the University of Missouri-St. Louis, but Lake Forest College (where I spent my first three semesters) considers me to be an alumnus of their institution.  In fact, if you complete a class there, they'll consider you an alum after four years even if you never earn a degree anywhere.

Those donation requests never stop coming - even when you die

2 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

Willie was a young man when he was here. No one wants their teen years and early twenties judged through the eyes of 50 somethings. Most of us did things we aren't proud of. Willie was a Billiken and appears to be proud of it. I wish him good look and think he should be claimed as a Billiken.

great post.

dennis_w likes this

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

We're getting derailed.

Gordon's playoff highlights: 

http://www.hudl.com/v/29gkXB

It's crazy that we Billikens fans will never feel completely comfortable until we finally see CG suit up for his first game. That's how paranoid we've become...

Gordon is going to be having monster games for us in the Big Dance next year. 

8 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

It's crazy that we Billikens fans will never feel completely comfortable until we finally see CG suit up for his first game. That's how paranoid we've become...

Gordon is going to be having monster games for us in the Big Dance next year. 

All due respect to Santos and Foreman, but the idea of a Gordon-French frontline - for multiple seasons, if I really get reckless with my optimism - should be enough to get SLU to do a free rally towel giveaway before every home game.

51 minutes ago, Pistol said:

All due respect to Santos and Foreman, but the idea of a Gordon-French frontline - for multiple seasons, if I really get reckless with my optimism - should be enough to get SLU to do a free rally towel giveaway before every home game.

How about a big three of Goodwin, French, and Gordon for 2 or possibly 3 seasons. I can’t imagine how good we would be if JGood and French were seniors with Gordon being s junior if they stay that long. 

I love that he is quick enough to guard players at the perimiter and still get back to defend the post. He will of course need to adjust  to the speed, height, and muscle of division one.  His ball handling and passing skills  are exceptional for a big man. 

1 hour ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

How about a big three of Goodwin, French, and Gordon for 2 or possibly 3 seasons. I can’t imagine how good we would be if JGood and French were seniors with Gordon being s junior if they stay that long. 

And the younger players we’ll ultimately recruit along the way due to the increased W/L records, A-10 ‘ships,  and postseason runs they will lead us to.

2 minutes ago, TheOne said:

And the younger players we’ll ultimately recruit along the way due to the increased W/L records, A-10 ‘ships,  and postseason runs they will lead us to.

How confident is the staff with Liddell?  Do they think we have a legit chance?

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

We're gonna need all of the towels we can get this season...

I am not saying Gordon will be this guy, but I think right now he is pretty close to sophomore MSU year Draymond Green.  I was trying to think of who Gordon reminded me of the most and that is what I came up with.  He is a better player coming out of high school and less flabby than Green was, but they have really similar skill sets.

Junior Green developed a 3 point shot and started to become the player we know today.  Don’t know if Gordon will ever develop that shot or the personality that makes Draymond so successful. That said, sophomore year Draymond was a damn good ball player and I think Gordon is a little above that level now.

Spoon-Balls likes this

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

How confident is the staff with Liddell?  Do they think we have a legit chance?

I get recruiting items a little confused sometime but the early recruiting period that Liddell will likely sign in happens before we start kicking @$$e$ this year?  Or am I a year off?

40 minutes ago, bauman said:

I get recruiting items a little confused sometime but the early recruiting period that Liddell will likely sign in happens before we start kicking @$$e$ this year?  Or am I a year off?

Believe you are correct... he could be expected to sign in the early period his senior year, which is this coming season.  If he thinks his stock will continue to rise, he could theoretically wait until the late period, in which case a successful season could help, if we are still in the running.

More likely, a successful season this coming year will start to really impact recruiting for the 2020 class.