2018-19 season

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/17/2018 at 9:24 AM, cheeseman said:

At this point all we know is that Wiley is in a boot.  We don't know why thus we don't know for how long.  If you have heel spur surgery you can be in a boot typically for a month and then you go through rehab a bit and normally can resume usual activity - yes I know playing BB is not usual activity.  You could be in a boot with a sprained ankle or other minor foot injuries as a protection.  My point is you can assume the worse or wait for real info.  I prefer to wait for real info before writing the kid off.

STU, Hello STU.  STU are you out there?  STU do you still report on the Billiken Basketball team?   Hello!  Hello!  STU?

58 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

And yet we still wont miss him this season. 

He had no spot in the lineup this year. 

Ah, so we don't need a 39.4% three point gunner.  We have, what, three or four players that will top that?  Got it.  I learn something from you every post. 

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Ah, so we don't need a 39.4% three point gunner.  We have, what, three or four players that will top that?  Got it.  I learn something from you every post. 

We replaced with someone who shot 36.7 in the Big Ten, and that isn't the only thing he can do, unlike Johnson who also happened to be a defensive liability. We'll be fine without him. 

Be condescending though. Terrific stuff.

Glorydays2013 likes this

10 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Speaking of, does anyone know what exactly is planned for this? All I can find on it is the time it begins and that there will be a scrimmage.

Saint Louis University’s men’s and women’s basketball teams will be showcased during Billiken Madness, which will take place Friday, Sept. 28, at Chaifetz Arena during SLU’s Homecoming and Family Weekend.

The event is open to the public and free to attend. Complimentary parking will be available in the Olive/Compton parking garage. Doors to Chaifetz Arena open at 8:30 p.m., and the event begins at 9 p.m. 

Both SLU squads will be in their first week of practice. The teams will participate in shooting and skills contests, a dunk contest judged by celebrity judges including Dr. Richard Chaifetz, and other on-the-court activities. Also planned is a live Blue vs. White scrimmage by both teams.

Fans will have the opportunity to participate in the event as well. There will be several promotions where fans can take home up to $10,000 cash and other prizes, including the Commerce Bank Dash-for-Cash and the Commerce Bank Half-Court Shot.

The first 2,000 Saint Louis University students who arrive at Chaifetz Arena will receive a free Billiken Madness T-shirt. SLU chartered student organizations and Greek organizations will have the chance to earn money for their organizations and/or philanthropies. Additionally, residence hall floors will compete to win access to a Chaifetz Arena party suite for the Billikens’ opening game of the season on Tuesday, Nov. 6, against SEMO.

At the conclusion of the event, fans will have the opportunity to meet the men’s and women’s teams on the Chaifetz Arena court.

Also taking place during Homecoming and Family Weekend are SLU volleyball matches on Friday, Sept. 28 (6 p.m. vs. VCU) and Sunday, Sept. 30 (noon vs. Davidson) at Chaifetz Pavilion. The SLU field hockey team hosts La Salle on Friday, Sept. 28, at 3 p.m. at Sportport International in Maryland Heights, Mo. 

Stay tuned to the various Billiken social media accounts for more information.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Theres some guys who shoot 95% FT and 50% 3pointers at the rec. You should probably go recruit them because based on your logic that is what makes a player good. 

I just hope one day you see your logic doesnt match up for this level of play. 

Heres another example, Elliot Welmer has almost record blocks for his rookie season and one of the highest shooting percentages. Based on that you would rather him on the court instead of French, Gordon, Santos and Foreman?

1 minute ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Even if our offense is average, it will still be so much better than last years. Just keep playing top 20 defense and we’ll win most games with an average offense, which we didn’t have last season

The two main factors between last years team and this years is the ability to have a full playable roster (Fouls and options) and 

Does anyone else not remember how screwed we were when French or Goodwin were in foul trouble halfway through the 2nd half? Or did we all forget last season already. 

Also the only players that took threes were Aaron Hines, Jalen Johnson and Davel Roby who are all gone, however if memory recalls they would shoot and turnover the ball far more often than necessary. I would rather a team that rebounds and gets in the paint. No we do not have a Villanova 3pt team

6 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

The two main factors between last years team and this years is the ability to have a full playable roster (Fouls and options) and 

Does anyone else not remember how screwed we were when French or Goodwin were in foul trouble halfway through the 2nd half? Or did we all forget last season already. 

Also the only players that took threes were Aaron Hines, Jalen Johnson and Davel Roby who are all gone, however if memory recalls they would shoot and turnover the ball far more often than necessary. I would rather a team that rebounds and gets in the paint. No we do not have a Villanova 3pt team

I'd like to forget last season

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

We replaced with someone who shot 36.7 in the Big Ten, and that isn't the only thing he can do, unlike Johnson who also happened to be a defensive liability. We'll be fine without him. 

Be condescending though. Terrific stuff.

I'm somewhat surprised at the lack of respect for Mr. Johnson.  Coach Ford stated on a radio interview that he was surprised and disappointed that Johnson was leaving.  

You brought Wiley into the conversation.  First, BILLIKEN NATION truly hopes that his current injury is short term, and that he is fully available for 38 to 40 games this season.  (Yes that puts us into a deep NCAA run.)

However, I don't know why you are comparing Wiley to Johnson.  Yes they both are snippers.  That is what Wiley was brought in to do, and he certainly needs to continue or improve his outside shooting to be as valuable as Johnson from deep.  Johnson had range from maybe 30 feet.  Coach Ford compared Wiley's range to Johnson's on an interview.  Let's call this a push on the two players.

But, Wiley only shot 9 FT last season.  NINE.  That's an average game for Bess.  I have no idea why he doesn't get to the line.  He made only 59 trips in 3 years at Maryland.  They do foul in the Big Ten.  This is really a mystery, but free throws are opportunities missed.  I don't need to reiterate what Johnson did at the line. 

Wiley had only 51 rebounds last season.  Johnson was at 127.  So Wiley doesn't appear to crash the boards.  Perhaps he was told not to.  I don't know.  And Wiley only had 4 blocks last season, compared to 21 for Johnson.  So he isn't a rim protector either.  So I'm not seeing what you are seeing.  It needs to be seen how good a defender he is in Ford's system.

Yes, I'm glad Dion Wiley is a Billiken.  But Jalen Johnson would have been a welcome asset for this season's team.

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

Johnson was good but overrated

What was Johnson's rating?  

What do you think his rating should have been?

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm somewhat surprised at the lack of respect for Mr. Johnson.  Coach Ford stated on a radio interview that he was surprised and disappointed that Johnson was leaving.  

"thank god Johnson is gone and now I can get a top 50 recruit from the B10 as a GT who played in the shadow of one of Marylands best players in history" -Coach Ford

You seriously need to learn how coaches talk vs sports personalities. Ford isnt Stephen A Smith

55 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Theres some guys who shoot 95% FT and 50% 3pointers at the rec. You should probably go recruit them because based on your logic that is what makes a player good. 

I just hope one day you see your logic doesnt match up for this level of play. 

Heres another example, Elliot Welmer has almost record blocks for his rookie season and one of the highest shooting percentages. Based on that you would rather him on the court instead of French, Gordon, Santos and Foreman?

You're funny.

If you have guys shooting 95/50, you need to get them into the NBA.  As their agent you could make a bundle.  Just think, TGloryTDays Agency.  

I want Welmer on the floor WITH other players, not instead of.  Welmer has a skill set that French, Gordon, Santos, and Foreman don't.  You gonnna play all four of them at the same time?  Now you are just being silly.

1 minute ago, Glorydays2013 said:

"thank god Johnson is gone and now I can get a top 50 recruit from the B10 as a GT who played in the shadow of one of Marylands best players in history" -Coach Ford

You seriously need to learn how coaches talk vs sports personalities. Ford isnt Stephen A Smith

Ha, ha, ha.   You are a piece of work.  Next time you and Coach Ford have lunch, tell him he needs to consult with you on his interviews. Besides TGloryTDays Agency, you can add PR Resource.  

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You're funny.

If you have guys shooting 95/50, you need to get them into the NBA.  As their agent you could make a bundle.  Just think, TGloryTDays Agency.  

I want Welmer on the floor WITH other players, not instead of.  Welmer has a skill set that French, Gordon, Santos, and Foreman don't.  You gonnna play all four of them at the same time?  Now you are just being silly.

You are so freakin stupid its unbelievable. Yes amateur YMCA players can shoot very high free throws, hell I know several that can do so without ever missing. 

The fact that you think that means they can go to the NBA shows how narrow-minded you are.

Ford at age what, 40-50 has said multiple times he can shoot better than anyone on the team still. Doesnt mean I want him on the court.

Who is your top 8 PT minutes then since obviously you include Welmer in there.

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Ha, ha, ha.   You are a piece of work.  Next time you and Coach Ford have lunch, tell him he needs to consult with you on his interviews. Besides TGloryTDays Agency, you can add PR Resource.  

I think you missed the entire point of what I said. You should get some rest or a snickers bar