2018-19 season

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

Thanks for the update.

I'm going to be a glass half full guy and say crutches and a boot is better than a cast and wheelchair. 

So it could be worse.

I’ll also be a glass half full guy and say minor injuries of athletes often get crutches and boots for faster, more complete healing as opposed to MBMs who would just get a splint. 

6 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Dion Wiley on crutches and in a boot. There’s your bad news

If this is what TheOne was referring to, I’m breathing a sigh of relief. That isn’t meant as a shot at Wiley at all. He will be a big part of this team if healthy. But with all this program has gone through in recent years, I think we all had visions of much worse news. 

5 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

If this is what TheOne was referring to, I’m breathing a sigh of relief. That isn’t meant as a shot at Wiley at all. He will be a big part of this team if healthy. But with all this program has gone through in recent years, I think we all had visions of much worse news. 

Bad news is not a comment we need to have on here. We are conditioned to assume this means Armageddon is right around the corner. I had hopes that Wiley might be the sleeper on this team, this hurts but it's not a season killer. Hoping this boot thing was the bad news item. 

Wiley was a 4-star, top-100 recruit out of HS. He's also a pretty good shooter. The idea was that he'd be at 100% heading into this season and he showed up in great shape and committed to one last college season to prove himself. He's the perfect grad transfer for this roster on paper.

I hope it isn't a full-season injury. I feel really bad for him, regardless. He's not a freshman who can take a medical redshirt and still have a full career.

He brought something we're in short supply on - shooting - and added depth and experience. This isn't going to knock us out of contention for the conference title but it's still a blow.

At this point all we know is that Wiley is in a boot.  We don't know why thus we don't know for how long.  If you have heel spur surgery you can be in a boot typically for a month and then you go through rehab a bit and normally can resume usual activity - yes I know playing BB is not usual activity.  You could be in a boot with a sprained ankle or other minor foot injuries as a protection.  My point is you can assume the worse or wait for real info.  I prefer to wait for real info before writing the kid off.

Zink and SLU_Lax like this

16 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

At this point all we know is that Wiley is in a boot.  We don't know why thus we don't know for how long.  

-I agree with this part

-let's hope this is not for long and he is a high major contributor to our incredibly successful season

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Wiley was a 4-star, top-100 recruit out of HS. He's also a pretty good shooter. The idea was that he'd be at 100% heading into this season and he showed up in great shape and committed to one last college season to prove himself. He's the perfect grad transfer for this roster on paper.

I hope it isn't a full-season injury. I feel really bad for him, regardless. He's not a freshman who can take a medical redshirt and still have a full career.

He brought something we're in short supply on - shooting - and added depth and experience. This isn't going to knock us out of contention for the conference title but it's still a blow.

The one factor where I hope we can be 'above average' this season is shooting. By above average, 160th plus or minus, in the nation would about hit it.   We were horrible last year, in 3 pt% (314th), FG% (299th) and FT% (335th).  I'm not sure where the depth on outside shooting will come from this season.  Let's certainly hope Mr. Wiley has a short recovery.  We need him healthy all year.

12 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The one factor where I hope we can be 'above average' this season is shooting. By above average, 160th plus or minus, in the nation would about hit it.   We were horrible last year, in 3 pt% (314th), FG% (299th) and FT% (335th).  I'm not sure where the depth on outside shooting will come from this season.  Let's certainly hope Mr. Wiley has a short recovery.  We need him healthy all year.

Shooting should be only thing they practice. Everything else is great. Those 300+ rankings in so many categories dampens our need for respect with mid, high major rankings.

If we could all the sudden become a great shooting team look out opponents. I think it's doable. 

34 minutes ago, almaman said:

Shooting should be only thing they practice. Everything else is great. Those 300+ rankings in so many categories dampens our need for respect with mid, high major rankings.

If we could all the sudden become a great shooting team look out opponents. I think it's doable. 

Shooting is also something the players can do in their own time. 

I'll always remember walking by West Pine at 10 pm on a Friday night and seeing Josh Fisher in the gym putting up shots.  That's how you become a great shooter.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

This is my biggest worry.  Wiley was our best shooter on paper.  Welmer might be our next best.  After that you're hoping a freshman to step in or for a big improvement from someone if you're hoping for above average shooting. 

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Here are some 3FG% to add to the conversation.  These represent the player's last college season.

Bess 27.0%

Goodwin 23.5%

Isabell 34.0%

Wiley 36.7%

Welmer 37.1%

Gone from last season's 314th rated team

Hines 30.2%

Johnson 39.4%

Roby 35.4%

Goodwin's 3 point percentage also rose dramatically in conference play and right before his season ended.

dennis_w likes this

50 minutes ago, MattyMo213 said:

Goodwin's 3 point percentage also rose dramatically in conference play and right before his season ended.

He shot 34.4% in conference play (11 of 32), which I assume is a percentage all of us would be quite happy with for an entire season. Looking at the game logs, he really limited his attempts over his final handful of games: 0/1 against Dayton, 0/1 at St. Joseph's, 0/1 against Fordham, 1/3 at St. Bonventure, and 1/1 against LaSalle. I found his stats by month and you can see how that first month dragged his % down (28.81% on the season if you eliminate November):

November: 2 of 22 (9.1%)

December: 8 of 29 (27.6%)

January: 7 of 26 (26.9%)

February: 2 of 4 (50%)

Season: 19 of 81 (23.5%)

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Here are some 3FG% to add to the conversation.  These represent the player's last college season.

Bess 27.0%

Goodwin 23.5%

Isabell 34.0%

Wiley 36.7%

Welmer 37.1%

Gone from last season's 314th rated team

Hines 30.2%

Johnson 39.4%

Roby 35.4%

Looking at shooting stats that are from different teams and conferences as well as from a team that was hurting for bodies is useless. Everyone will shoot better this year from last years Bills team. 

Yes Johnson shot well from wide open 3's but I cant find another part of him he had that no one else on this current roster could do better overall. 

College basketball is not Moneyball. Literally almost a hundred different factors that determine an outcome of a game

19 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Looking at shooting stats that are from different teams and conferences as well as from a team that was hurting for bodies is useless. Everyone will shoot better this year from last years Bills team. 

Yes Johnson shot well from wide open 3's but I cant find another part of him he had that no one else on this current roster could do better overall. 

College basketball is not Moneyball. Literally almost a hundred different factors that determine an outcome of a game

So let me get this straight.  Looking at last season's NCAA stats is useless, but looking at AAU summer stats is the true mark of a player's value.  Got it.

BTW, besides being our best three point shooter last season, Mr. Johnson was our best FT shooter, and our second best rim protector (blocks).