2018-19 season

French averaged 30.2 mpg last season.  I'm not seeing much of a drop off from that average this coming season.  Yes, FT% may get put him in the offense/defense trade at end of games, but I'll wager he has improved since last season's 36.4%.  

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

French averaged 30.2 mpg last season.  I'm not seeing much of a drop off from that average this coming season.  Yes, FT% may get put him in the offense/defense trade at end of games, but I'll wager he has improved since last season's 36.4%.  

I think Goodwin and Bess will be the only 2 who average over 26 minuets per game. 

Zink, bauman and brianstl like this

2 hours ago, willie said:

I think Goodwin and Bess will be the only 2 who average over 26 minuets per game. 

We're just talking here.  Nobody is wrong and nobody is right.  But I'm riding my A team harder than 26+ minutes a game.  I'm playing my French 'double-double' machine as many minutes as he can handle.  With-my words-three All Conference Candidates-Goodwin, Bess and French, I'll have them carry the heavy load.  They all showed they can handle 30+ minutes last year.  If Gordon shows on the floor that he is Jamal Mashburn-esqe, then he will be there too. 

I don't see any of our bigs averaging 30 mins unless we have injuries.  The depth however will allow high energy minutes with increased defensive pressure forcing turnovers.  We wont need guys to back off, or defences designed to protect players from fouling out. So their production per minute will increase. Ford will be able to press teams wire to wire so that by the end of each half, opponents lacking depth will be gassed and we will surge.  We will see the full benefits of a very physical, deep team.  I also like the depth so coaches can take players off the floor to coach them, especially the freshmen, without a big drop in floor talent.

38 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I don't see any of our bigs averaging 30 mins unless we have injuries.  The depth however will allow high energy minutes with increased defensive pressure forcing turnovers.  We wont need guys to back off, or defences designed to protect players from fouling out. So their production per minute will increase. Ford will be able to press teams wire to wire so that by the end of each half, opponents lacking depth will be gassed and we will surge.  We will see the full benefits of a very physical, deep team.  I also like the depth so coaches can take players off the floor to coach them, especially the freshmen, without a big drop in floor talent.

Our depth also gives our forwards the ability to be as physical as possible without worry of fouling out. 

Again, we are just trading thoughts here.  Coach Ford will make the final decision on playing time, so all MBM opinions on this thread are correct, today.

If you look at Ford's 8 OSU teams, on the ranked, tourney teams he tended to play 8 to 9 players double digit minutes.  On some of his non-tourney teams, he went deeper.  So on his better teams, he tightened the roster.  Let's hope this year's SLU team is equivalent to the OSU tourney - ranked teams.

Smart averaged 33.1 mpg in his two years at OSU.  Anderson was 32.8 mpg, Brown 30.5 mpg, Nash 30.9 mpg, and Forte 29.6 mpg.  He pushes his 'A' players hard.  He keeps them on the floor.

I remain with the opinion that French, Goodwin, Bess will all be around 30+ mpg.  The key is to win. Teenagers, young 20's players can handle 30+ hard minutes.  Two 5 minutes blows per half is sufficient.  And while we should have 13+ players on the bench, our 'depth' needs to prove itself on the floor during actual games.  I am not ready to anoint two players, one with a 4.4 ppg career average and the second with a 4.5 ppg career average, as ready to make a significant contribution.  Give them 8 to 10 games and then see where we stand.  We will have players who are not pleased with their lack of playing time.

Zink and billiken_roy like this

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-the love from Rothstein continues to flow but I wonder what JGood will have to say about this, will be a lot of fun 

Thought the same thing when I read it.  JGood should be a doubles machine - it is possible both could do it.

38 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Thought the same thing when I read it.  JGood should be a doubles machine - it is possible both could do it.

So did I, and all of the comments under the tweets are touting guys like Cunningham from UD. Yawn

Just now, Littlebill said:

So did I, and all of the comments under the tweets are touting guys like Cunningham from UD. Yawn

dear rest of the college basketball world,

please sleep on the billikens this year.

-NYB

ChangeOfPace and johnbj14 like this

4 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-the love from Rothstein continues to flow but I wonder what JGood will have to say about this, will be a lot of fun 

Rothstein might LIKE us, but he doesn't LOVE us.  Just saw his early pre-season top 25 plus the next 5 who might break thru and we are not in his list of top 30.  Pretty much P6 heaven with the exception of Gonzaga and Nevada .

His top 25 includes ACC-7, SEC-5 (including 3 in the top 6), Big 12-4, PAC 12-3, Big 10-3, Beast-1, OTH-2 (Zags #2 and Nev-#5).  The most surprising to me is TN #3, Auburn-#4 and Nebraska- #25. 

FL ST is # 14.

Edited by bauman

24 minutes ago, bauman said:

Rothstein might LIKE us, but he doesn't LOVE us.  Just saw his early pre-season top 25 plus the next 5 who might break thru and we are not in his list of top 30.  Pretty much P6 heaven with the exception of Gonzaga and Nevada .

His top 25 includes ACC-7, SEC-5 (including 3 in the top 6), Big 12-4, PAC 12-3, Big 10-3, Beast-1, OTH-2 (Zags #2 and Nev-#5).  The most surprising to me is TN #3, Auburn-#4 and Nebraska- #25. 

FL ST is # 14.

oh... so hes a tool

On 7/1/2018 at 1:26 PM, bauman said:

FL ST is # 14.

I would not have expected anyone to put is in the Top 30 yet.  We've got to earn it on the court this season.  Doesn't mean Rothstein doesn't love our team.

I think that Rothstein sees what is being built here and wants to be able to claim he was on our bandwagon early.  Based upon all the tweets lately from him, he will have every right to claim that.  Welcome to Team Blue, Jon.

The fact that Foreman came and we solved his hip problem that was bothering him for a few years, and now Isabell needing glasses  - you have to wonder what goes on at other places. Can only help - Ford saying to the recruit and parents, we look out for our players in every way possible.  

2010andBeyond likes this