2018-19 season

55 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

We will see how it plays out.  My guess is that Bess might draw that defensive assignment that you are envisioning, unless the opponent has a sniper that he has to cover in lieu of Thatch.  Example, when we play George Mason's four guard outfit, it doesn't matter who plays the post. Bess will be on the perimeter.  (Last night GMason's forward Reiter didn't score.)  When we play UMass with Holloway, yah that will be an issue if Hankton has to guard him.  But Holloway would have to guard Hankton also. 

Hankton is listed at 6'7".  Bess is listed at 6'6".    Not much difference there.  Plus, Ford has as much said he will go with Bess in the Power Slot if needed.

-does this include afro?

HoosierPal likes this

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go Bills. Wish we were facing Hurley again. It is just hard to believe our losses to roster last season would be topped this year but I think it has. Somehow we are on paper better than last year but not much deeper. If we let Hines play starter like minutes for a few seasons I think we should maybe toss a few meaningful minutes Raboin's way. He has been unstoppable beyond the arc. BFI

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

Jacobs is going to have to up his game. Not sure what we're gonna get out of Ingvi. 

I dont expect much from ingvi. Never did.  It'll take another dismissal or serious injury until that happens.

I would like to see us play a lot of 1-2-2 zone when we are playing the good shooting teams.  I think our total conditioning as a team will improve now and all of our guys currently getting minutes like to get after it on D.  I think it is worth considering by Coach Ford.  It could also help DJ and French avoid fouls and force some extra turnovers.

Of course the best defense is a good offense, which we don't have currently.  We will need to make improvement there, obviously.

8 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

I would like to see us play a lot of 1-2-2 zone when we are playing the good shooting teams.  I think our total conditioning as a team will improve now and all of our guys currently getting minutes like to get after it on D.  I think it is worth considering by Coach Ford.  It could also help DJ and French avoid fouls and force some extra turnovers.

Of course the best defense is a good offense, which we don't have currently.  We will need to make improvement there, obviously.

-HF has to be made to understand his value to the team is him on the floor and this only amplified with a shortened roster so he needs to reduce his fouls, the ones that drive me nuts are the reach fouls after the other team secures a, to them, defensive rebound

4 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Lunardi gives the auto bid the the team leading the conference. Its dumb but thats Mason right now. Edit I see someone else posted that already 

Don't forget, Lunardi is one of the radio announcers for St. Joseph.  He had a first hand view of what Mason did to St. Joe.  That, at least partially, influenced his ranking of Mason.

3 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-HF has to be made to understand his value to the team is him on the floor and this only amplified with a shortened roster so he needs to reduce his fouls, the ones that drive me nuts are the reach fouls after the other team secures a, to them, defensive rebound

The good news is that French has only fouled out once this season, against Houston.  The bad news is that he finished with 4 fouls seven times.  So yes, in 8 of 13 games he had 4 or 5 fouls.  Foreman has had 4 fouls only once and hasn't fouled out.

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

The good news is that French has only fouled out once this season, against Houston.  The bad news is that he finished with 4 fouls seven times.  So yes, in 8 of 13 games he had 4 or 5 fouls.  Foreman has had 4 fouls only once and hasn't fouled out.

On the flip side, we don't have CG who soaked up some of the fouls DJ and/or French may have committed if CG wasn't around.

5 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

On the flip side, we don't have CG who soaked up some of the fouls DJ and/or French may have committed if CG wasn't around.

This. My strategy as an opposing coach would be to go as hard as possible at French to start the game and get him on the bench with 2 fouls. I like Foreman, but he isn't the presence French or Gordon is on either side of the ball. I forsee French being told to reduce the shot blocking attempts to keep from fouling, but that will minimize his presence and overall effectiveness. Fouls will be a major problem the rest of the season, IMO.  

French is fouling at a higher rate per 40 minutes than last season,4.8 vs 4.4.  Foreman's rate has dropped pretty dramatically, 3.4 vs. 5.2.  The fouls don't scare me as much as the ability to score inside.  French and Foreman need to start making bunnies. Plus we lose some defense with Foreman instead of Gordon.

I actually expect the team to do well in conference play.  Despite the fact that the constant turmoil, roster churning and the heavy minutes some guys have to log would seem like it would catch up with SLU at some point, it didn't last year.  Ford seems to do his best work in these situations. I think it forces Ford to try things he wouldn't otherwise try.  I think all coaches have a real distaste for stepping out of their comfort zone,  even when it would be the best thing for their team. It seamed he really embraced it last season when he had too.  Plus he has proven that he can rally a team at a time like this.

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

French is fouling at a higher rate per 40 minutes than last season,4.8 vs 4.4.  Foreman's rate has dropped pretty dramatically, 3.4 vs. 5.2.  The fouls don't scare me as much as the ability to score inside.  French and Foreman need to start making bunnies. Plus we lose some defense with Foreman instead of Gordon.

I actually expect the team to do well in conference play.  Despite the fact that the constant turmoil, roster churning and the heavy minutes some guys have to log would seem like it would catch up with SLU at some point, it didn't last year.  Ford seems to do his best work in these situations. I think it forces Ford to try things he wouldn't otherwise try.  I think all coaches have a real distaste for stepping out of their comfort zone,  even when it would be the best thing for their team. It seamed he really embraced it last season when he had too.  Plus he has proven that he can rally a team at a time like this.

Defense is what worries me. Carteare wasn't filling it up but he was protecting the rim when he was in there.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I agree.

TFord will rally the team, and I think we will see it this Sunday. Everybody will be motivated up their game.  Foreman is the guy that needs to step up the most, and I am confident that he will.

5 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

All of this is true, but Hankton can't provide the physicality down low that anthony did and that's the issue.  Hankton will no doubt provide more offensive output but he won't provide the same down low defense, which is really the concern if either French or DJ get in foul trouble. 

All that can be done is to sick Bess and Shaft on them—otherwise it will be free layup time.

47 minutes ago, David King said:

I agree.

TFord will rally the team, and I think we will see it this Sunday. Everybody will be motivated up their game.  Foreman is the guy that needs to step up the most, and I am confident that he will.

Do you think we can do a 4 guard rotation in the A10? Isabell, Goodwin, Thatch, Bess and French with KC, Wiley, DJ, Thor and Jacobs coming off the bench in small numbers wouldn’t be a small lineup 

I think we will see that, especially if KC struggles or the bigs get into foul trouble. Bess can play a slightly undersized stretch 4.  That 4 guard setup would also open up lanes for the other guards.  A healthy Wiley would help the 4 guard lineup a lot. 

5 hours ago, brianstl said:

Do you think French is fouling more because he knew he had a back up when last year there really was no good option beside Anthony from time to time.

I know that Gordon was a big recruit and that he had a lot of upside but all this gnashing of teeth is a bit over the top.  Long term I agree had he said and developed we would be better for it but at least up to now his quality of play has not been such that our season is over.  He started the season starting but lately he was coming off the bench which tells how he was trending.  His 8 ppg is not so great that it can not be replaced from the bench.  I know he had a lot of blocks for a freshman and that will be somewhat missed but it is not such a major loss that it will sink the season.  I don't remember his rebounding average for the year but I don't remember it being that eye popping.  This kid decides to leave - his choice - and now Ford is a loser and May has to go immediately, and the  BoT are bumbling idiots.  Some perspective please.

VeniceMenace likes this

11 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Do you think French is fouling more because he knew he had a back up when last year there really was no good option beside Anthony from time to time.

Could be, but it really isn’t that big of a difference from last season. It is only a few fouls total over the course of a season.

6 hours ago, David King said:

I agree.

I think whatTFord needs to do before anyone steps on that court Sunday is a GUT CHECK!

David King likes this

9 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I know that Gordon was a big recruit and that he had a lot of upside but all this gnashing of teeth is a bit over the top.  Long term I agree had he said and developed we would be better for it but at least up to now his quality of play has not been such that our season is over.  He started the season starting but lately he was coming off the bench which tells how he was trending.  His 8 ppg is not so great that it can not be replaced from the bench.  I know he had a lot of blocks for a freshman and that will be somewhat missed but it is not such a major loss that it will sink the season.  I don't remember his rebounding average for the year but I don't remember it being that eye popping.  This kid decides to leave - his choice - and now Ford is a loser and May has to go immediately, and the  BoT are bumbling idiots.  Some perspective please.

-could CAG's departure be addition by subtraction? that will be determined, could very well be and I hope for this as the other side is not a benefit - if the comments about his teammates saying or being okay with him being gone because he was a detriment are accurate, then this could trend positive

-do some or many on this board go over the top? you bet, present company included

-to me the departure of a player who was top 75 in the country when he signed, who was talked about as having potential to be in the league,  is a knock to the team as we don't get those players on a regular basis, IF, huge IF, he were to get it together he has the talent to be very special, currently seems to have too many things keeping him from developing as some thought he could

-scoring has been an issue for the team so far so 8.9 ppg in 24 minutes seems a lot for a team averaging 67.9 to replace

-the 24mpg are minutes other players will now get, will they perform at the same or a higher level? does CAG being gone raise the level of play of others? I hope so

-4.1rpg in 24 minutes, granted he couldn't play 40 minutes, but that is almost 8rpg over 40 minutes, not bad and for a frosh, pretty good

-again, if he was a detriment to the team, good riddance, but we now have less depth, especially up front, this is another season with roster reductions, his talent will be tough to replace but it seems his attitude and antics being removed might be a plus and at least for me it would be very welcome to go through a season and not have drama, excitement yes