2018-19 season

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, wgstl said:

That makes three broken backboards already this season. Is slu that cheap?

Do you mean that SLU is buying sub-par basketball goals? No. These dudes are just big and strong.

Although if Lori Flanagan were still running the AD, she'd refuse to replace them unless the basketball program paid for them and coach would have to front the money to get them replaced more quickly. (You think I'm exaggerating but I'm not. We've come a long way since I was at SLU.)

DirtyRican likes this

Here's what the article says about expansion...

Ackerman said the league was not in discussion about expansion right now, but when pressed, did admit that more than three schools have approached the Big East about potentially joining the conference. 

"We do talk about it internally," Ackerman said. "I think every conference commissioner worth their salt has to be thinking about it in terms of long-term, where your league is and [evaluating] the future. But at this point, our schools are very satisfied with the current 10 programs and 10-school setup." 

If expansion came to be in the Big East, Ackerman said going to 11 would be most ideal and "very workable" because it could allow the double round-robin intra-league scheduling to remain in place. Going to 12 or more schools would eliminate that, and given that Creighton AD Bruce Rasmussen is coming off a year in which he was the selection committee chair, his input on the value of round-robin scheduling -- when it comes to NCAA Tournament evaluation -- carries a lot of weight. 

The Big East is also in wait-and-see mode as to how 20 league games -- and the new NET rankings -- affect other big conferences when it comes to seeding and selection. As it stands now, most Big East teams are already guaranteed 20 high-major games because there's 18 conferences tilts, the Gavitt Games with the Big Ten in November and the Big East-Big 12 series, which started this season.

What schools make for ideal candidates? The rumor mill has consistently put out a litany of programs, many of them currently in the A-10, such as Saint Louis, Dayton, Richmond, VCU, Rhode Island, Davidson and Saint Joseph's. A source previously told me that Gonzaga even informally debated the idea. And of course, there's UConn, which has a fanbase aching to get back into the Big East. But it's football program and all the money attached to that currently stands as a logistical hurdle, if not 100-foot wall. 

Ackerman said any school up for consideration would have to check a lot of boxes before entering into real discussion. 

"Geography would be in important," she said. "Commitment to basketball would probably be the No. 1 thing, the notion that they would be additive as it relates to our basketball prospects. Are they going to help secure our chances every year of getting into the NCAA Tournament? Possible No. 2: Would they help us with our tournament? Would they bring fans to Madison Square Garden?"

The Catholic-school angle is also not insignificant. Butler, which is private and of similar makeup to the other nine, is the only non-Catholic institution in the Big East. There's also a high level of camaraderie and morale among the membership now, something that Ackerman noted wasn't there right before the old Big East fissured, when the league was bigger. 

3 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Here's what the article says about expansion...

Ackerman said the league was not in discussion about expansion right now, but when pressed, did admit that more than three schools have approached the Big East about potentially joining the conference. 

"We do talk about it internally," Ackerman said. "I think every conference commissioner worth their salt has to be thinking about it in terms of long-term, where your league is and [evaluating] the future. But at this point, our schools are very satisfied with the current 10 programs and 10-school setup." 

If expansion came to be in the Big East, Ackerman said going to 11 would be most ideal and "very workable" because it could allow the double round-robin intra-league scheduling to remain in place. Going to 12 or more schools would eliminate that, and given that Creighton AD Bruce Rasmussen is coming off a year in which he was the selection committee chair, his input on the value of round-robin scheduling -- when it comes to NCAA Tournament evaluation -- carries a lot of weight. 

The Big East is also in wait-and-see mode as to how 20 league games -- and the new NET rankings -- affect other big conferences when it comes to seeding and selection. As it stands now, most Big East teams are already guaranteed 20 high-major games because there's 18 conferences tilts, the Gavitt Games with the Big Ten in November and the Big East-Big 12 series, which started this season.

What schools make for ideal candidates? The rumor mill has consistently put out a litany of programs, many of them currently in the A-10, such as Saint Louis, Dayton, Richmond, VCU, Rhode Island, Davidson and Saint Joseph's. A source previously told me that Gonzaga even informally debated the idea. And of course, there's UConn, which has a fanbase aching to get back into the Big East. But it's football program and all the money attached to that currently stands as a logistical hurdle, if not 100-foot wall. 

Ackerman said any school up for consideration would have to check a lot of boxes before entering into real discussion. 

"Geography would be in important," she said. "Commitment to basketball would probably be the No. 1 thing, the notion that they would be additive as it relates to our basketball prospects. Are they going to help secure our chances every year of getting into the NCAA Tournament? Possible No. 2: Would they help us with our tournament? Would they bring fans to Madison Square Garden?"

The Catholic-school angle is also not insignificant. Butler, which is private and of similar makeup to the other nine, is the only non-Catholic institution in the Big East. There's also a high level of camaraderie and morale among the membership now, something that Ackerman noted wasn't there right before the old Big East fissured, when the league was bigger. 

I think SLU fans underestimate what a negative this is for us. We travel like crap for the most part. It's part of the reason we are rarely in good early season tournament whereas Dayton is in a good one every year.

p.s. I fully recognize I am part of the problem as I should travel more. In the FWIW camp, we have already scheduled our spring break trip and intentionally are coming back on Wednesday so that we can leave again Thursday-Sunday for a hopeful NCAA tournament adventure.

billikenfan05 likes this

-these BEast posts might need a new thread or to be put into a BEast thread, if we have one

-can't hurt to have Parrish touting for us, if anything is encouraging it is that she said 11 would be an okay number, and I too agree DrC is the one that will have to lead this charge as I have little faith from DuBourg or the office side of Chaifetz Arena

-who is the highest ranking Jesuit at SLU? if they are liked by their contemporaries at GU, CU, XU and Marq we should get them on the case

-let's not get left without a chair again, if you believe in prayer add this to the list

David King likes this

Reportedly, the film “The Excorcist” is Patrick Ewing’s favorite movie. The fact that the movie version took place at Georgetown was the final straw that broke the camel’s  back and resulted in Ewing committing to Georgetown. However, as most of us know, the true story of the exorcism that the movie is based on happened at St Louis University. 

It’s about time SLU official’s stood tall, and take credit where it is due. SLU Is the Jesuit University leader, when it comes to excorcism. This should be a selling point to help get us into the Big East!

just to remind all with our annual wet dream conversation for joining the big east.  

1.  exit fee will be due to the A10   i believe that would be at least $2 million 

2. entry fee to the big east.   no idea but seeing numbers of over $5 million

3. forfeit of any previously earned NCAA credits A10 controls

questions - 1.  will the big east equally share TV Revenue money?

2. will the big east pass on full shares of NCAA credits for big east tourney appearances

In year's past the big east wanted the billikens only if saint louis agreed to pay and swallow exit fee, entry fee and loss of ncaa money and would only share revenue on TV and NCAA credits on a junior level whatever that meant.   it was a total revenue loser with no guarantee of when the "Junior level" was erased.  

i.e. they didnt really want us. 

Old guy likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

just to remind all with our annual wet dream conversation for joining the big east.  

1.  exit fee will be due to the A10   i believe that would be at least $2 million 

2. entry fee to the big east.   no idea but seeing numbers of over $5 million

3. forfeit of any previously earned NCAA credits A10 controls

questions - 1.  will the big east equally share TV Revenue money?

2. will the big east pass on full shares of NCAA credits for big east tourney appearances

In year's past the big east wanted the billikens only if saint louis agreed to pay and swallow exit fee, entry fee and loss of ncaa money and would only share revenue on TV and NCAA credits on a junior level whatever that meant.   it was a total revenue loser with no guarantee of when the "Junior level" was erased.  

i.e. they didnt really want us. 

-how this hurts me to do, but...

1-why do you believe this? yes, there would be an exit fee, where do you get $2mil?

2-"no idea" so pure speculation? seeing? where are you seeing this $5mil?

3-yeah, probably, but I am willing as the long term seems well worth it

4-when did the BEast ever want us? where was it reported if we joined it would be on a "junior level"?

-not that I expect an answer to any of these but what the heck, let's try 

2010andBeyond likes this

11 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-how this hurts me to do, but...

1-why do you believe this? yes, there would be an exit fee, where do you get $2mil?

2-"no idea" so pure speculation? seeing? where are you seeing this $5mil?

3-yeah, probably, but I am willing as the long term seems well worth it

4-when did the BEast ever want us? where was it reported if we joined it would be on a "junior level"?

-not that I expect an answer to any of these but what the heck, let's try 

my information comes from a conversation probably about 5-6 years ago (during the crewsplatt era) with a highly connected billiken source.  i wont go on record as to who told me that and risk info from this person in the future.   

just curious why you would think there would not be exit and entrance fees?  

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

my information comes from a conversation probably about 5-6 years ago (during the crewsplatt era) with a highly connected billiken source.  i wont go on record as to who told me that and risk info from this person in the future.   

just curious why you would think there would not be exit and entrance fees?  

-this highly connected Billiken source gave you all the information you posted including about the "junior level" entry to the  BEast?

-not sure how you read my questions to come to the conclusion that I think there would not be an exit fee, when especially in my first point where I typed "yes, there would be an exit fee," as to an entrance fee, I don't recall those being paid in past conference realignments

-I agree the BEast didn't want us as we didn't get an invite, but to say "they only wanted us ....." seems like a very long reach

Now up by one and going to the line at the under 8 TO.

houston is going to be tough. They are athletic and can score in spurts.

this will be a ft battle to the end though. Probably one of those hour plus second halfs.