2018-19 season

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

looks like they fully expect him to join the team

hopefully Isabell can take the McBroom stench off the #2.

There aren't archives kept for jersey numbers anywhere, are there? What I can find goes back to 1987:

Agree that Isabell could do justice with 2 and get rid of McBroom's stench. Miles Reynolds wasn't quite able to do so. Graves was supposed to wear it. Others have been Anthony Mitchell, Wendell Bennett. This number needs a boost in our record books.

I like Wiley going with 4; we've had good players with it but it tends to take some years off in between. Yarbrough was the last. Dustin Maguire, Josh Fisher, Dave Fergerson.

Gordon going with the 5 - interesting choice for a big man to take a low number but I like it. Feels like a statement (5-star). This was Roby's number previously, and Jett before him. Strong recent history, and it goes back to Marque Perry (with stops with Jeff Reid and Marcus Relphorde along the way). Vincent Smith was the last before Perry to wear it, in 1988. Chris Peay wore it the season before him.

Jacobs is going with Ian Vouyoukas' old number, the 15. Also Tanner Lancona, Sean Duff, Christian Salecich, Barry Eberhardt. Ricky Cranford! Jeff Gaona.

Thatch is giving JJ's 20 no time off. However, Johnson resurrected it from a long stretch going back to Anthony Drejaj, and I think Hughes was the one before Drejaj. It was briefly with Jeramy Biles before him, after H Waldman and Jeff Luechtefeld.

Always a bold move to go with 23. Zeke Moore was the last to wear it. Cassity wore it, Justin Johnson (of course), Corey Grays, Marcus Jones, Rashid Shabazz. Hopefully Hankton can do it some justice because as great as it is in basketball history, it hasn't had much luck at SLU.

24 (Hines) could also do well with a refresh and hopefully Thor is the man for the job. Cody Ellis was the last good player to wear it. It has a long history with walk-ons (Eagleton, Shortal, and I want to say Mooney wore it his freshman year until Phil Hunt graduated 22 after that season and Mooney switched), and was one of the blood jersey numbers when I was there, along with 10 (which I personally would've worn if I were a player). Larry SSSSSSSSimmons, Carlos Skinner, and - a true SLU great - Roland Gray. So it seems to do well with scholarship players.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

There aren't archives kept for jersey numbers anywhere, are there? What I can find goes back to 1987:

Agree that Isabell could do justice with 2 and get rid of McBroom's stench. Miles Reynolds wasn't quite able to do so. Graves was supposed to wear it. Others have been Anthony Mitchell, Wendell Bennett. This number needs a boost in our record books.

I like Wiley going with 4; we've had good players with it but it tends to take some years off in between. Yarbrough was the last. Dustin Maguire, Josh Fisher, Dave Fergerson.

Gordon going with the 5 - interesting choice for a big man to take a low number but I like it. Feels like a statement (5-star). This was Roby's number previously, and Jett before him. Strong recent history, and it goes back to Marque Perry (with stops with Jeff Reid and Marcus Relphorde along the way). Vincent Smith was the last before Perry to wear it, in 1988. Chris Peay wore it the season before him.

Jacobs is going with Ian Vouyoukas' old number, the 15. Also Tanner Lancona, Sean Duff, Christian Salecich, Barry Eberhardt. Ricky Cranford! Jeff Gaona.

Thatch is giving JJ's 20 no time off. However, Johnson resurrected it from a long stretch going back to Anthony Drejaj, and I think Hughes was the one before Drejaj. It was briefly with Jeramy Biles before him, after H Waldman and Jeff Luechtefeld.

Always a bold move to go with 23. Zeke Moore was the last to wear it. Cassity wore it, Justin Johnson (of course), Corey Grays, Marcus Jones, Rashid Shabazz. Hopefully Hankton can do it some justice because as great as it is in basketball history, it hasn't had much luck at SLU.

24 (Hines) could also do well with a refresh and hopefully Thor is the man for the job. Cody Ellis was the last good player to wear it. It has a long history with walk-ons (Eagleton, Shortal, and I want to say Mooney wore it his freshman year until Phil Hunt graduated 22 after that season and Mooney switched), and was one of the blood jersey numbers when I was there, along with 10 (which I personally would've worn if I were a player). Larry SSSSSSSSimmons, Carlos Skinner, and - a true SLU great - Roland Gray. So it seems to do well with scholarship players.

This is the post I wanted but didn't ask for. Thanks Pistol!

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

-good thing Zeke left so KCH can wear #23

36 minutes ago, Pistol said:

NOT GREAT, BOB

1 hour ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I don't know how to link stuff from Instagram, but there are a series of photos on the basketball team's page. Welmer doesn't appear to be in any sort of brace or boot, French, Santos, andThatch are there, as is another player who I don't recognize, but my guess is that it's Jacobs or Wiley.

right click, copy image, paste image 

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

looks like they fully expect him to join the team

hopefully Isabell can take the McBroom stench off the #2.

this tweet gets me so pumped. it has the feel of the movie BLUE CHIPS.... Ingvi is our equivalent of going down to the bayou to find Shaq.... Shiitty season last year and we said 'F it' and went all out 

49 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Uh where would one right click on an iPhone? 

32 years old.... i have never owned a single apple product in my life. kind of weird when i really think about it 

3 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I don't know how to link stuff from Instagram, but there are a series of photos on the basketball team's page. Welmer doesn't appear to be in any sort of brace or boot, French, Santos, andThatch are there, as is another player who I don't recognize, but my guess is that it's Jacobs or Wiley.

I know even less about Instagram than you do, so is it possible for someone who knows what they are doing to post the photo here?

NextYearBill likes this

If I recall correctly, Welmer shed off his boot last season and was moving around with regular shoes. He was cleared for practice and apparently did some of that, and then the boot came back on and he spent the rest of the season sidelined. The picture above shows Welmer with a bunch of kids. I am sure he can do what he is doing in the picture without any problems. The issue is and will remain: can his foot take the strain of practice and then actual play? This is a cute picture but shows nothing we do not know. His foot is fine for normal daily activities that is all we know. After he starts practicing and playing we will have to see if he can continue playing the whole season. There is no way to know this until he does it.

Playing time will be fought for at practice like lions. No competition last year really but Santos will put foreman out I predict and Gordon will have huge compition with French as well. Those four will be a tough decision for Ford I think. French and Gordon have the talent but Santos and Foreman have a lot more experience. 

The grad transfers and freshmen along with Bess and Goodwin will be tough to predict too. I think Goodwin is set but I can see bess competing with the grad transfers. 

This is honestly one of the hardest early predictions to pick for starters and playing time

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

I’m a big fan of this post.

17 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Did we hire a Strength and Conditioning Coach yet?

I don't know about that, but from reading the Post Disgrace I have learned that  Michael Porter Jr has entered the NBA draft and that his brother, Jontay, has decided to return to SPUMAC, to play for the most documented Head MBB coach in the Midwest.  Unfortunately, I cannot remember his name, even though I read it in one of the PD articles last year.    Blue font!

johnbj14 likes this

39 minutes ago, bauman said:

I don't know about that, but from reading the Post Disgrace I have learned that  Michael Porter Jr has entered the NBA draft and that his brother, Jontay, has decided to return to SPUMAC, to play for the most documented Head MBB coach in the Midwest.  Unfortunately, I cannot remember his name, even though I read it in one of the PD articles last year.    Blue font!

Maybe my favorite post in the last month. 

5 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Playing time will be fought for at practice like lions. No competition last year really but Santos will put foreman out I predict and Gordon will have huge compition with French as well. Those four will be a tough decision for Ford I think. French and Gordon have the talent but Santos and Foreman have a lot more experience. 

The grad transfers and freshmen along with Bess and Goodwin will be tough to predict too. I think Goodwin is set but I can see bess competing with the grad transfers. 

This is honestly one of the hardest early predictions to pick for starters and playing time

Having four bigs of the quality we have isn’t a problem.  All four can go all out at both ends of the court while they are in there without having to worry about getting gassed and having to stay out of foul trouble.  Ford can just tell them to have at it boys.