2018-19 season

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Sheeesh man, I don’t get why this has turned into a hostile thing. All I was saying is it reminded me of that game and the drama that ensued. 

I don't think this is the first time they've run a promotion like this since the MO State debacle.  It seems like every year over Christmas break they have a bring a friend deal for students.  With this game being over Thanksgiving break it makes sense to do something similar.

cheeseman likes this

Anyone read Rick Ankiel's book? Seems like same type issue. I've never been a big believer in the master it with 10000 hours practice school of thought. it may be the case for many that have some talent but for most a waste of time. Ray Charles at the line practice won't change much. I could be locked in a bowling ally for a decade and never score higher than I do now. I was hoping it may be home nerves for F Rejecter not so far.

rgbilliken likes this

i believe to "fix" french free throw woes will require a complete reboot of his form and mindset.   Remember after the atrocious first year shooting of tommie liddell, soderberg spent the entire summer one on one redoing his shooting form.   something akin to that needs to happen for french.    continuing as is and shooting tons of free throws probably only affirms bad habits and bad mechanics.  start over.  

VeniceMenace and Old guy like this

25 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i believe to "fix" french free throw woes will require a complete reboot of his form and mindset.   Remember after the atrocious first year shooting of tommie liddell, soderberg spent the entire summer one on one redoing his shooting form.   something akin to that needs to happen for french.    continuing as is and shooting tons of free throws probably only affirms bad habits and bad mechanics.  start over.  

I can't recall that. Did it help?

1 minute ago, almaman said:

I can't recall that. Did it help?

very much 

overall fg% went from freshman year 40% -  sophomore year 47%, 3 point % went from 9% to 45% and free Throw % went from 62%  to 77%

2 minutes ago, almaman said:

Maybe Brad's in town this summer ;) sure he'd help out his old school.

while soderberg was a good shooter in his day, ford was a far better shooter in his.   ford can handle teaching shooting just fine.  

1 hour ago, almaman said:

hope he wraps up recruiting so he can help French have a Liddell summer.

Supposedly they tried to tweak his shot last summer. Maybe that’s not the total makeover Roy is suggesting. I know he won’t do it for ego reasons but I would love to see him shoot underhanded. Same think for a couple of NBA centers. 

29 minutes ago, willie said:

Supposedly they tried to tweak his shot last summer. Maybe that’s not the total makeover Roy is suggesting. I know he won’t do it for ego reasons but I would love to see him shoot underhanded. Same think for a couple of NBA centers. 

I’d have a huge ego if i shot 90% from the line. Just sayin 

rgbilliken likes this

11 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

My suggestion would be try using the backboard. Aim for square. Couldn't be any worse. Need to try something. If he misses it may be more likely to get a longer bounce and a better shot at the rebound. 

Right. For starters, French should just try hitting the rim. That alone could have saved the Pittsburgh game.

On 11/23/2018 at 5:19 PM, willie said:

I know he won’t do it for ego reasons but I would love to see him shoot underhanded.

Agreed.  Maybe some enterprising fans or students can make signs encouraging French to shoot underhanded.  My idea is to use the old Larry Johnson grandmama alter-ego, but with French’s face.  Put something like “Hasahn, embrace your inner grandmama.  Shoot FTs underhanded.”  Alternatively, you could try to re-brand the underhanded FT technique from Granny-style to French-style.  Have a sign that says “Granny-style” with granny crossed out and French written in.

I can’t believe a guy would rather shoot 30% on FTs and lose games for his team than potentially make at a much better % but look “silly”.

i dont know if it is easier or a higher percentage, but one would think if underhand free throws was the best way to shoot free throws we would see more if not all players doing it.    Barry was so talented he would have likely shot 90% free throws shooting free throws any way  he wanted to toss the ball to the rim.  so he is not the one to look at for a reason to shoot that way.  

19 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont know if it is easier or a higher percentage, but one would think if underhand free throws was the best way to shoot free throws we would see more if not all players doing it.    Barry was so talented he would have likely shot 90% free throws shooting free throws any way  he wanted to toss the ball to the rim.  so he is not the one to look at for a reason to shoot that way.  

This is the main point of Malcolm Gladwell's podcast.  Wilt Chamberlain tried it during 61-62 season and increased his percentage with it being the only year he shot over 60% including the 100 point game where he made 28 of 32 but then didn't go back to it next season.  Wrote in his autobiography that he felt like a sissy and knows he was wrong but couldn't do it.  Shaq said to Rick Barry when he tried to teach him that he would rather shoot 0% then shoot underhand.  They even went to Columbia's women's team and nobody wanted to shoot underhand.  

SLU_Nick likes this

1 hour ago, Bills_06 said:

This is the main point of Malcolm Gladwell's podcast.  Wilt Chamberlain tried it during 61-62 season and increased his percentage with it being the only year he shot over 60% including the 100 point game where he made 28 of 32 but then didn't go back to it next season.  Wrote in his autobiography that he felt like a sissy and knows he was wrong but couldn't do it.  Shaq said to Rick Barry when he tried to teach him that he would rather shoot 0% then shoot underhand.  They even went to Columbia's women's team and nobody wanted to shoot underhand.  

It was an interesting podcast.  I recommend it.

I will say that the first two or three FTs that French missed actually looked pretty good.  The first one was in and out. 

-sometimes tough to overcome the ego, I was hoping more progress was made over the summer as I am not sure how much change can or should be made during the season

-I guess the ego question could be do you want to be on the floor at crunch time? if yes, then something has to change

Throwing the ball in football was once considered not manly.  The real manly thing to do is whatever helps your team win the game and you getting paid. 

I don't get the bad free throw shooters in the NBA that won't even consider it.  Shaq is easier to understand, he was going to get paid no matter what.  Some of these other guys, are much harder to understand.  They could increase their point total by 1 or 2 ppg. We are talking tens of millions of dollars over their careers they are costing themselves. 

The biggest bragging rights in the NBA outside of the championship is the dollar value of your contract.  It would take one guy doing and then getting paid to have four or five other guys follow suit.

On 11/23/2018 at 2:10 PM, almaman said:

Anyone read Rick Ankiel's book? Seems like same type issue. I've never been a big believer in the master it with 10000 hours practice school of thought. it may be the case for many that have some talent but for most a waste of time. Ray Charles at the line practice won't change much. I could be locked in a bowling ally for a decade and never score higher than I do now. I was hoping it may be home nerves for F Rejecter not so far.

That was a good read.

Markelle Fultz has the free throw yips this year. He’s completely lost and has been put on the “IR.” It has gotten so bad that Amari Cooper mocked him in a TD celebration yesterday.

Rick Barry’s kid shoots underhanded for Flordia or did. I’m not sure if he is still playing.