2018-19 season

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

I am not saying Gordon will be this guy, but I think right now he is pretty close to sophomore MSU year Draymond Green.  I was trying to think of who Gordon reminded me of the most and that is what I came up with.  He is a better player coming out of high school and less flabby than Green was, but they have really similar skill sets.

Junior Green developed a 3 point shot and started to become the player we know today.  Don’t know if Gordon will ever develop that shot or the personality that makes Draymond so successful. That said, sophomore year Draymond was a damn good ball player and I think Gordon is a little above that level now.

Interesting comparison but I just don't see it.

Green's strength's are his tenacity on both ends, his extremely long reach for his size, vision, and uncanny basketball IQ.  At Michigan St he was a QB on defense, arranging all the players on the floor and knowing where every offensive player was going to be.  Green's effectiveness on offense stems from his abilities on the perimeter, his postgame is almost a ruse at this point.  He uses the threat of it to open up passing lanes to cutters and 3 point shooters.  

Gordon has similar physical traits, but he lacks the outlandish reach and perimeter skills.  He has good handles for a PF but he is not a point forward.  His shooting is decent from 17 in but it needs to be developed.  

I would compare Gordon to Corliss Williamson or Clarence Weatherspoon.  He will bully almost anyone in the post, and at the same time has the quickness and agility to outmaneuver defenders in back to the basket situations or in the open floor.  He will tire out every big man in the A10.  There won't be many teams in the country who have enough depth to keep up with him on offense.  It remains to be seen if he can be a good rebounder or even an average defender, but that is what French is there for.  Expect 30 point games from Gordon where he doesn't take a shot outside the paint.  Imagine the offensive polish and footwork in the post that Dwayne Evans had his jr year, then imagine having a body that could pull off those moves, then take that and make it twice as good of a player and you have Gordon right now.

NextYearBill and HoosierPal like this

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, thetorch said:

Interesting comparison but I just don't see it.

Green's strength's are his tenacity on both ends, his extremely long reach for his size, vision, and uncanny basketball IQ.  At Michigan St he was a QB on defense, arranging all the players on the floor and knowing where every offensive player was going to be.  Green's effectiveness on offense stems from his abilities on the perimeter, his postgame is almost a ruse at this point.  He uses the threat of it to open up passing lanes to cutters and 3 point shooters.  

Gordon has similar physical traits, but he lacks the outlandish reach and perimeter skills.  He has good handles for a PF but he is not a point forward.  His shooting is decent from 17 in but it needs to be developed.  

I would compare Gordon to Corliss Williamson or Clarence Weatherspoon.  He will bully almost anyone in the post, and at the same time has the quickness and agility to outmaneuver defenders in back to the basket situations or in the open floor.  He will tire out every big man in the A10.  There won't be many teams in the country who have enough depth to keep up with him on offense.  It remains to be seen if he can be a good rebounder or even an average defender, but that is what French is there for.  Expect 30 point games from Gordon where he doesn't take a shot outside the paint.  Imagine the offensive polish and footwork in the post that Dwayne Evans had his jr year, then imagine having a body that could pull off those moves, then take that and make it twice as good of a player and you have Gordon right now.

I’m talking Draymond’s Sophomore year at MSU.  That Draymond hit 2 3 point shots total in 37 games. According to measurements done at USA basketball Gordon has a 7 foot wingspan. That is the same as Draymond’s.

Gordon is measured at 6'6.5 without shoes, 7 foot wingspan and 8'7 staare nding reach. Those are old so they may not be accurate still...

Green is measured at 6'5.75 without shoes 7'1.25 wingspan and 8'10 standing reach. It is a big difference

We'll see what Gordon gets measured by SLU but his numbers have always been at best average. Green's are well above average. Their games reflect it.

45 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Gordon is measured at 6'6.5 without shoes, 7 foot wingspan and 8'7 staare nding reach. Those are old so they may not be accurate still...

Green is measured at 6'5.75 without shoes 7'1.25 wingspan and 8'10 standing reach. It is a big difference

We'll see what Gordon gets measured by SLU but his numbers have always been at best average. Green's are well above average. Their games reflect it.

Yeah, I don’t see that comparison. I forget, did it come out that he was injured last summer?

14 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Yeah, I don’t see that comparison. I forget, did it come out that he was injured last summer?

Gordon was hurt in the spring and reaggravated the injury during the summer.  Minor ankle stuff.  

TheChosenOne likes this

Last year we placed top 4 (tie) in the Atlantic 10. That was with 5 or 6 real players and a glorified walk on. 

Keep that defense, improve what was one of the top interiors by adding two studs in Gordon and Santos, and you already have a great team.

Now add all the new perimeter shooting that we have and I really don’t see a huge weakness.

it all depends how well and quickly the newcomers (we have a ton of them) mesh with the very few returners. 

Of all goes right, I see no reason why we can’t make the second weekend in March

24 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Guess no news is good news so far for Jacobs? 

I would agree on Jacobs but this is also the same group that tweeted out a picture of all the S2 players a few days before they got the Stormy shaft and more recently tweeted then deleted a video of Goodwin. I wouldn't take his inclusion here as a sign that everything is all set.  

SLU_Lax and slufan13 like this

15 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I would agree on Jacobs but this is also the same group that tweeted out a picture of all the S2 players a few days before they got the Stormy shaft and more recently tweeted then deleted a video of Goodwin. I wouldn't take his inclusion here as a sign that everything is all set.  

I think the fact that they included him only serves to show that nothing new is known.

We knew that the players involved in S2 were traveling with the team. Can you imagine the person taking the picture for Twitter telling the 3 players to step out of the picture so they could take one more for the internet?

On 6/15/2018 at 10:45 AM, billikenfan05 said:

This is a case of Frank being Frank. Everybody stay calm.

Frank deserves a lot of credit for having some very good SLU sources. He was in early on the Goodwin and Gordon commitments. He also broke the Isabell visit and later his commitment - he reported it before any national outlets.

BUT Frank also reported some SLU stuff that I'm sure was not coming from SLU sources. Frank also has a bunch a bunch of Mizzou sources and other assorted local basketball groupies. I think he is susceptible to being played by relaying misinformation. For example, when Mizzou was fiddling with committed players like Tillmon and Watson, each time Frank threw in that SLU and other schools were very much in play. I never bought that. It felt like Mizzou sources trying to counter the narrative that they were tampering with committed recruits. And in regards to Gordon, Frank has said in previous months that "some sources" are convinced that he'll never suit up for SLU. I think it was another case of Frank getting fed misinformation. It is pretty irresponsible of him to report that stuff. Whoever he was getting that from was certainly not a SLU source and clearly had an anti-Gordon/anti-SLU agenda. Either a fan of another local program that is bitter about Gordon going to SLU or some AAU type with an ax to grind. Remember, on this board, "Coach" 314 said that SLU had absolutely no shot at signing Gordon. It's strange how bitter some folks are about Gordon signing with SLU. Hopefully next time Frank gets fed information from that source, he's more skeptical of it.

HenryB likes this

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think the fact that they included him only serves to show that nothing new is known.

We knew that the players involved in S2 were traveling with the team. Can you imagine the person taking the picture for Twitter telling the 3 players to step out of the picture so they could take one more for the internet?

They did exactly that for 4 months. Henriquez and Bishop traveled all year but SLU was super careful not to include them in any photos. Then the report comes back and all 3 players are in a tweet. Then 4 days later, they get that ridiculous punishment.

majerus mojo likes this

I don't know how to link stuff from Instagram, but there are a series of photos on the basketball team's page. Welmer doesn't appear to be in any sort of brace or boot, French, Santos, andThatch are there, as is another player who I don't recognize, but my guess is that it's Jacobs or Wiley.

3 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I don't know how to link stuff from Instagram, but there are a series of photos on the basketball team's page. Welmer doesn't appear to be in any sort of brace or boot, French, Santos, andThatch are there, as is another player who I don't recognize, but my guess is that it's Jacobs or Wiley.

Gordon 

2 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

apparently welmer is back as far as shooting goes.