Three point shooting in our 7 conference games:

Bess 38.6%, 17 of 44

Wiley 28.6%, 10 of 35

Goodwin 27.8%, 5 of 18

Hankton 27.3%, 3 of 11

Thatch 25.0%, 2 of 8

Isabell 16.1%, 5 of 31

Jacobs, 0%, 0 of 1

Last season through all 18 conference games, Johnson was 43.1%, Goodwin 34.4%, Hines 33.3%, Roby 31.5% and Bess 26.0%

I have read a number of posts on this thread about 3 pt shooting.....
Here is what I have...we are a terrible 3P shooting team....well actually terrible across the board....here is what our slash looks like including 2s....F /  F+  / F / F-

I guess what puzzles me is about all the references to individual players.  The fact is that we have only 2 players with enough data to make a reasonable judgement on what kind of 3P shooter they are

For the season....Bess  is shooting 37.4%...good for a B average....and Isabell shooting 26.3%....good for an F-....

There is only one additional player who will probably have enough shots   (data) to make a grade....that player is Wiley....He is showing to come in some where between F- and B. Why the wide spread? ...At this point there is not enough data....the projection is that  in 5 games he will earn a letter..... 

The rest of the players are not even showing a projection as they are not  going to shoot enough to have a large enough sample size..

Talking about players ability to shoot at this point is like .....flipping a coin twice  ...having it come up tails both times...and then declaring that when you flip a coin  it is always going to be tails.

As for the issue of shooting more 3s than 2s...that's probably not going to work either.....The Bills shoot 56 times a game....If they shot all 3s in a game ....they would make 17 shots...51 pts...if they shot all 2s ...they would make 26 shots...52  pts. 

Please don't ask me what would happen if we only shot free throws in a game.

Zink likes this

35 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Here is what I have...we are a terrible 3P shooting team....well actually terrible across the board....here is what our slash looks like including 2s....F /  F+  / F / F-

I guess what puzzles me is about all the references to individual players.  The fact is that we have only 2 players with enough data to make a reasonable judgement on what kind of 3P shooter they are

For the season....Bess  is shooting 37.4%...good for a B average....and Isabell shooting 26.3%....good for an F-....

There is only one additional player who will probably have enough shots   (data) to make a grade....that player is Wiley....He is showing to come in some where between F- and B. Why the wide spread? ...At this point there is not enough data....the projection is that  in 5 games he will earn a letter..... 

The rest of the players are not even showing a projection as they are not  going to shoot enough to have a large enough sample size..

Talking about players ability to shoot at this point is like .....flipping a coin twice  ...having it come up tails both times...and then declaring that when you flip a coin  it is always going to be tails.

As for the issue of shooting more 3s than 2s...that's probably not going to work either.....The Bills shoot 56 times a game....If they shot all 3s in a game ....they would make 17 shots...51 pts...if they shot all 2s ...they would make 26 shots...52  pts. 

The numbers don't lie, Wiz. We suck getting the ball in the hole from everywhere. 

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

The SLU site shows 30.5 from 3 and 41.1 from the field 41.1% doesn't compute to 26 of 56. Am I missing something. It's simple take it to 100 shots and you get 91 points from 3 and 82 points from 2

15 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

The SLU site shows 30.5 from 3 and 41.1 from the field 41.1% doesn't compute to 26 of 56. Am I missing something. It's simple take it to 100 shots and you get 91 points from 3 and 82 points from 2

Yes,  you are missing something....You are looking at FG%...which is 2s and 3s together.......The real number for 2s is 46.4% . I think if you do the math using that figure , it will come out right. 

Not reporting 2s is a strange quirk in the reporting system...as it is an important stat.  I think it developed this way before there was a 3 shot....FG% used to mean the FG% of 2pt shots.  When 3s came along they continued to use FG% as the total of all shots...which isn't as valuable as breaking out the 2s....I like my 4 part slash but don't use it much because in order to include it , I have to figure it separately as it is not included in most box scores....which is a pain.....

Hope that helps

8 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Yes,  you are missing something....You are looking at FG%...which is 2s and 3s together.......The real number for 2s is 46.4% . I think if you do the math using that figure , it will come out right. 

Not reporting 2s is a strange quirk in the reporting system...as it is an important stat.  I think it developed this way before there was a 3 shot....FG% used to mean the FG% of 2pt shots.  When 3s came along they continued to use FG% as the total of all shots...which isn't as valuable as breaking out the 2s....I like my 4 part slash but don't use it much because in order to include it , I have to figure it separately as it is not included in most box scores....which is a pain.....

Hope that helps

Duh. I'm an idiot. Should have been obvious. Thanks for the correction

10 hours ago, slu72 said:

The numbers don't lie, Wiz. We suck getting the ball in the hole from everywhere. 

So true that it made me laugh and replay in my mind all the missed layups and fast breaks fails.

I watched a little of Tennessee v SC last night. One thing that stood out was how UT big would go inside ala Foreman when he drew the crowd he passed to an open man. When was the last time we saw Foreman do that? Instead, he commits all the way and tosses up some crazy type of layup. You'd think by now he'd know better. 

8 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I watched a little of Tennessee v SC last night. One thing that stood out was how UT big would go inside ala Foreman when he drew the crowd he passed to an open man. When was the last time we saw Foreman do that? Instead, he commits all the way and tosses up some crazy type of layup. You'd think by now he'd know better. 

if the ball doesn't bounce off his concrete hands for a TO... hes going to the basket 

Littlebill likes this

28 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Does this mean that Santos and Ingvi's scholarships have been transferred to Rabon and Courtney? If so, then scholarships for Santos and Ingvi would not be full year.  Some have suggested this isn't allowed, but what else can it mean?

Was wondering the exact same thing.

• 3 weeks later...

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.  The good and really great this season is Bess!  His improved shooting over his SLU career is amazing and it is worth watching a Bill's game just to see him play. French rebounding is awesome, he is a man under the basket. Isabell is a magician at times with some of his miraculous layups. Thatch is already a defensive stud and has good form on his outside shot. Goodwin is the heart and soul of the team and seems to be getting back to his old self.  Hankton has shown potential as a play maker. The bad. The loss of Santos was devastating to this team. Followed by injuries to Welmer, Hankton, Thor and Jacob's and sadly the loss or failure of Gordon. All of which has left us paper thin.  The Ugly. Fast breaks that end in charges or turnovers. Isabell drives into the trees that often end with an opponent's basket. French free throws.  

Above is a good summary for what's killed our high hopes for this year. Biggest disappointment is probably Gordon departing after first semester. The players, although they remained silent, didn't see this as a bad thing we are led to believe. That said, there's no denying the kid has talent and could have helped. It was obvious that he and French didn't seem to complement one another as reflected in Hashn's improvement since his departure. Still, you can never have enough talent on your roster. Aah, but such is the fate of us devoted Bills fans.

Teams are what they are and change during the season due to departures, injuries, etc... We all know that. The problem with the intense pain and disappointment being felt is the extreme expectations among the fans. These expectations are not based on reality, they are based on hopes, dreams, and prior disappointments. As I said before the season started we need to see how the team gels together before we can realistically estimate how far it will go. Dreams are dreams and are painful to let go, reality is oftentimes harsh and hits you smack in the nose. We are not entirely out of contention yet, let's see what we can do with what we have.

29 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Teams are what they are and change during the season due departures, injuries, etc... We all know that. The problem with the intense pain and disappointment being felt is the extreme expectations among the fans. These expectations are not based on reality, they are based on hopes, dreams, and prior disappointments. As I said before the season started we need to see how the team gels together before we can realistically estimate how far it will go. Dreams are dreams and are painful to let go, reality is oftentimes harsh and hits you smack in the nose. We are not entirely out of contention yet, let's see what we can do with what we have.

Ah yes. Smacked by reality again. The life of a Billiken fan.

28 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Not sure where this goes/if it's been posted, but looks like Jacobs is working to return: 

(Wiley took the below video of Jacobs working out, then Jacobs re-posted it to his own Instagram, if I'm following correctly). 

image.thumb.png.160f15c680cd5d901c7a5dbffe3f7ce3.png

image.png

Ford said he might play Saturday, along with Hankton. Jacobs was practicing at 60% on Monday.