2018-19 season

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-could CAG's departure be addition by subtraction? that will be determined, could very well be and I hope for this as the other side is not a benefit - if the comments about his teammates saying or being okay with him being gone because he was a detriment are accurate, then this could trend positive

-do some or many on this board go over the top? you bet, present company included

-to me the departure of a player who was top 75 in the country when he signed, who was talked about as having potential to be in the league,  is a knock to the team as we don't get those players on a regular basis, IF, huge IF, he were to get it together he has the talent to be very special, currently seems to have too many things keeping him from developing as some thought he could

-scoring has been an issue for the team so far so 8.9 ppg in 24 minutes seems a lot for a team averaging 67.9 to replace

-the 24mpg are minutes other players will now get, will they perform at the same or a higher level? does CAG being gone raise the level of play of others? I hope so

-4.1rpg in 24 minutes, granted he couldn't play 40 minutes, but that is almost 8rpg over 40 minutes, not bad and for a frosh, pretty good

-again, if he was a detriment to the team, good riddance, but we now have less depth, especially up front, this is another season with roster reductions, his talent will be tough to replace but it seems his attitude and antics being removed might be a plus and at least for me it would be very welcome to go through a season and not have drama, excitement yes

I see no problem with the bench being able to replace his numbers they just simply were not that daunting.  I agree it is now up to the bench to deliver.  Now if you are talking about replacing Bess's numbers then that would be a totally different animal.  Another thought I have is Ford seems to do his best coaching when he has fewer horses so he may start to shine more in this area as he had the last two years.  

I wonder if a different offensive approach will open the paint up more for Goodwin and Isabel?  Goodwin looked more comfortable at the last game as the pg and Isabel seemed to fit better in his role as the 2.  This could cause a more wide open offense without trying to always get the ball inside to a French or Gordon.

17 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

He is dressed and warming up  (See 'and They Are Off' thread)

Thanks for the update HP still pre-gaming at the field house.  At the App state game he was not limping this is exciting.

45 minutes ago, The House That Rick Built said:

The House That Rick Built - Episode 2, is out now, covering the Rhode Island game, as well as Travis Ford's legacy so far at SLU following the Gordon transfer: 

Thanks for doing this.  Where did you pick up that Gordon wanted to play the 3?

16 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Thanks for doing this.  Where did you pick up that Gordon wanted to play the 3?

I wondered that as well. And also wondered where you heard that his leaving had anything (negatively) to do with how Ford handled him. I had heard Ford gave him EVERY opportunity to succeed there.

1 hour ago, The House That Rick Built said:

The House That Rick Built - Episode 2, is out now, covering the Rhode Island game, as well as Travis Ford's legacy so far at SLU following the Gordon transfer: 

Gordon is an isolated issue and players all hated him. Remember when his teammate Ramey refused to be on his team for college. Yes Ramey had other things going on but they were very loud about not playing with Gordon 

9 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Gordon is an isolated issue and players all hated him. Remember when his teammate Ramey refused to be on his team for college. Yes Ramey had other things going on but they were very loud about not playing with Gordon 

You’re passing off half truths like they are facts. You’re believing in only one side of a story when there’s two sides and the truth is always a mix of both. You continue to be a complete jerkoff about it too.

1 hour ago, Cincybill said:

I wondered that as well. And also wondered where you heard that his leaving had anything (negatively) to do with how Ford handled him. I had heard Ford gave him EVERY opportunity to succeed there.

It was more along the lines of fifth hand information if that makes sense. College friends I have that play junior college basketball knew guys who knew guys type of thing. He said the rumors he was hearing from the Billikens camp were that Gordon wanted to be a three. Is this entirely factual? Certainly not, but if you think about Gordon, he wouldn't have much value in the NBA as a 4 or 5 so it certainly would make sense, but as it seems with everything related to Gordon, it was just another rumor to consider. In terms of Ford handling it negatively, that was purely speculation on my part. I have become fearful that Ford's reputation is he can't handle players well, and his three year tenure at SLU kind of adds to that reputation, fair or not. He may very well have given Gordon EVERY opportunity he was comfortable with, but maybe there were other opportunities Ford could have explored that would have been more beneficial for all. Again, I don't have any facts on this as of yet, everything seems pretty hush-hush in terms of actual reasons for leaving, but it terms of speculation, that has just been one of my personal fears of late.

Edited by The House That Rick Built

11 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You’re passing off half truths like they are facts. You’re believing in only one side of a story when there’s two sides and the truth is always a mix of both. You continue to be a complete jerkoff about it too.

Are you comfortable saying that Gordon wasn't an isolated issue at SLU? That has been some of my bigger fears as I stated in the podcast, but I have to believe if Ford's handling of players was that bad, he probably would have run Goodwin off after last year. Maybe I am wrong, but I certainly am a little more realistic now about how good I think Ford is in St. Louis, or rather has been.

Just now, The House That Rick Built said:

Are you comfortable saying that Gordon wasn't an isolated issue at SLU? That has been some of my bigger fears as I stated in the podcast, but I have to believe if Ford's handling of players was that bad, he probably would have run Goodwin off after last year. Maybe I am wrong, but I certainly am a little more realistic now about how good I think Ford is in St. Louis, or rather has been.

I'm comfortable saying that Gordon's leaving SLU isn't all on Gordon. I don't know if it's player management, clash of personalities or what but I've heard stories contrary to what GloryDays is spouting off about. So like I said, I think that there are many issues that led to Gordon leaving and I don't think it's fair to turn him into a villain(although he didn't do himself many favors with his subtweeting).

TheChosenOne and Zink like this