2018-19 season

3 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I wouldn't mind seeing more Jacobs and Hankton......

Bess has got to be healthy for conference play. We don't want him hobbled for the rest of the year so rest him. Thatch can cover their best guard. Maybe even bank in a 3 🤗 Now and then. They've got to get Jacobs involved as well. Not sure on Hankton unless people think he can keep the D honest w/ some 3s. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

SLU ain’t winning this game without Wiley and Bess 

I think they could beat SIU without Wiley. Without or with a significantly hobbled Bess, I don't like are chances at all.  We need Bess, Thatch, Goodwin and Isabell all on the defensive end.

Listened to Danny Mac's podcast, Coach "is not pleased" with ball handling at the end of the game.  They spent 10 to 15 minutes in drills specifically on that. (My thought, only 10 to 15?)

On finishing in transition "I'm baffled, I can't figure out why we don't finish better on the fast break.  We are showing them film, we are drilling on this. Our finishing rate is very poor.  One of the biggest emphasis we have right now is to improve this.  Sometimes it is decision making, sometimes it is sloppy play.  I told the players there are too many times we don't even get up a shot."  

We can win this w/o Javon. Although, it will be tough. In Thatch I trust. I just hope Jacobs gets some minutes which he should if Javon doesn't suit up. I'd rather not see a gimpy Javon for the rest of the year. Rest him rather than wreck him for the year.

The way I see it, we need a minimum of 25 wins to be considered for an at large bid. 26 and we are a lock. To get to 25 we need to go 10-3 OOC, 13-3 in conference and win 2 games in the conference tournament. That doesn't seem likely at this point, so all the marbles are on winning the conference tournament. Experiment away to find what works best and peak in March. We should win at least 20 along the way so it will be fun with plenty of ups and down. We are Billiken fans. We have seen much worse. This is a talented team. It will give us highs. It will give us lows. Enjoy the ride.

1 minute ago, kmbilliken said:

The way I see it, we need a minimum of 25 wins to be considered for an at large bid. 26 and we are a lock. To get to 25 we need to go 10-3 OOC, 13-3 in conference and win 2 games in the conference tournament. That doesn't seem likely at this point, so all the marbles are on winning the conference tournament. Experiment away to find what works best and peak in March. We should win at least 20 along the way so it will be fun with plenty of ups and down. We are Billiken fans. We have seen much worse. This is a talented team. It will give us highs. It will give us lows. Enjoy the ride.

I agree 10-3 is kind of an ideal target for OOC, but I'm not ready to go "experiment" mode yet. This loss to Methdale, not at all unexpected by me, raises the importance of the Houston game to reach that 10-3 goal. We'll be underdogs for sure, but if we play more like the Seton Hall and Butler game, it is winnable. We'll have a week to prepare. I'm not ready to give up on the goal of an at-large just yet. The question is will we start to develop some level of consistency from game to game.

34 minutes ago, ACE said:

I agree 10-3 is kind of an ideal target for OOC, but I'm not ready to go "experiment" mode yet. This loss to Methdale, not at all unexpected by me, raises the importance of the Houston game to reach that 10-3 goal. We'll be underdogs for sure, but if we play more like the Seton Hall and Butler game, it is winnable. We'll have a week to prepare. I'm not ready to give up on the goal of an at-large just yet. The question is will we start to develop some level of consistency from game to game.

Houston wins by 20 and it won't even be that close.  FSU will be a similar result.  SHU and Butler are above average teams, but not near the level of these two teams. 

2 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

There are 18 conference games; you've accounted for only 16.

2 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

I agree that we need to be 25-6 when the regular season is over to feel good about an at-large. The bad news is we've already given away 2 of the 6 losses. the other bad news is we likely have 2 more in the non-con with FL St. and Houston. The good news is that the reason we need to be 25-6 is the A-10 largely sucks. So it shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to go 16-2 in conference play. We can't expect it at this point given what we saw last night but its definitely possible. SIU is not a good team, but they are better than most A-10 teams at this point.

3 hours ago, kshoe said:

I agree that we need to be 25-6 when the regular season is over to feel good about an at-large. The bad news is we've already given away 2 of the 6 losses. the other bad news is we likely have 2 more in the non-con with FL St. and Houston. The good news is that the reason we need to be 25-6 is the A-10 largely sucks. So it shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to go 16-2 in conference play. We can't expect it at this point given what we saw last night but its definitely possible. SIU is not a good team, but they are better than most A-10 teams at this point.

This is best team in recent memory concerning our chances of getting automatic bid by winning A-10 championship mainly because A-10 weak. Wasn't last year considered a rebuilding year for the league? 2 in a row I guess.

13 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

If we go 25-6...the at large bid won't matter.....we will win the A-10

25-6 guarantees we win the A-10 tourney?

almaman likes this

5 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

No... The A-10 conference 

I think the thought is that even the A10 conference champion gets left out.  Which seems kind of crazy given the historic performance of the conference.  One bid conference would be tough 

AGB91 likes this