2018-19 season

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

The Pitt loss won’t be a bad loss.  

I agree....Pitt ( a  B team) lost in the final seconds to Iowa (an A-  team)....at Iowa....Pitt had the ball and missed a layup with 3 sec left...and then got the  rebound and.... ran out of time....So by shaving 7 pts off the spread( I had 8 and Vegas had 11) this was a "good loss"....and will help Pitt  and in turn help us. It would have been better if they had won but this is still an ok turnout for us.

I had Iowa as a 8 pt favorite tonight....Hmm ...8  pt fav...that sounds familiar.... Here is how it ties to our next game....

If you believe that Pitt and SLU are equals as I do....And Pitt played Iowa even....then you also need to know that when I simulate a game between Iowa and Butler those 2 teams come out even.....which means we have the same chance to beat Butler as Pitt had to beat Iowa...I don't think it is  a  coincidence that the spreads both come out to 8....I have simplified things  here in this post but the bottom line is there is a similarity between our game and the Pitt / Iowa game and the Bills/But game.

We missed in the final seconds at Pitt , ..perhaps we will get another chance this game...and the ball will bounce our way.

6 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I agree....Pitt ( a  B team) lost in the final seconds to Iowa (an A-  team)....at Iowa....Pitt had the ball and missed a layup with 3 sec left...and then got the  rebound and.... ran out of time....So by shaving 7 pts off the spread( I had 8 and Vegas had 11) this was a "good loss"....and will help Pitt  and in turn help us. It would have been better if they had won but this is still an ok turnout for us.

I had Iowa as a 8 pt favorite tonight....Hmm ...8  pt fav...that sounds familiar.... Here is how it ties to our next game....

If you believe that Pitt and SLU are equals as I do....And Pitt played Iowa even....then you also need to know that when I simulate a game between Iowa and Butler those 2 teams come out even.....which means we have the same chance to beat Butler as Pitt had to beat Iowa...I don't think it is  a  coincidence that the spreads both come out to 8....I have simplified things  here in this post but the bottom line is there is a similarity between our game and the Pitt / Iowa game and the Bills/But game.

We missed in the final seconds at Pitt , ..perhaps we will get another chance this game...and the ball will bounce our way.

Better officiating, Isabell playing in both half’s and a healthy Wiley will help.

QUAILMAN likes this

I think the potential issue w the Pitt loss is that the ACC is absolutely loaded.  Therefore, Pitt can be a decent team and still the worst in the conference.  Talking heads will say SLU has a bad loss to the ACC bottom feeder when in reality it’s not a bad loss.  We really need Pitt to finish ahead of a couple of the other good not great teams in the ACC and maybe win one or two against the elite teams while doing it.  Would be great if they’re a top 75 or top 100 team when all is said and done instead of just outside the top 100.

Pitt should be better than Wake and BC. The rest of the league is pretty strong as teams like Clemson, the U, and GT who haven't dpne much in recent years have improved. Then you've got your perennial tourney teams; Cuse, NCSt, UL, VaTech,  VA,  and FSU. And of course their 2 G League teams UNC and Duke. Going to be tough for Pitt to go .500 against this crowd. Can they upset a couple of the perennials and split w/ the likes of Clemson and GT? I don't see it happening, but neither do I think they'll finish last. I think they win no more than 5 games in the ACC. As for us,  we've now got to beat Butler and Houston to pad our resume. Beating OSU or SIUC will not earn us much cred, but a loss to either of them would really hurt. A loss to FSU on a neutral court will be a scratch on our record not an open bleeding wound. Based on what we're seeing in the A10's OOC performance to date, it's looking like a 2 bid league at the most. So, it looks like we've got little wiggle room for the rest of the OOC sched, ie a loss to FSU. If that happens and we win the A10 reg season w/ no more than 4 losses we're probably dancing even if we don't win the tourney. Our road is not an easy one.

I'm not worried about what Seton Hall, FSU, Pitt, Butler, etc. do with the rest of their seasons.  It is out of SLU's control.  What the Billikens can control now is how they play out the rest of the season.  Make improvements in FT shooting, quicker offensive play, and reduce foul issues--all while coalescing and having each others backs and we will be dancing.  The path to the Big Dance should be focused on winning the conference.  Everything else will take care of itself.

Go Billikens!

15 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I think the potential issue w the Pitt loss is that the ACC is absolutely loaded.  Therefore, Pitt can be a decent team and still the worst in the conference.  Talking heads will say SLU has a bad loss to the ACC bottom feeder when in reality it’s not a bad loss.  We really need Pitt to finish ahead of a couple of the other good not great teams in the ACC and maybe win one or two against the elite teams while doing it.  Would be great if they’re a top 75 or top 100 team when all is said and done instead of just outside the top 100.

Agree ...Pitt is a good team....The problem is they are a B team in an A+ league...never good when your grade is lower than your league.....Pitt  they will struggle in the ACC. even though they are a decent team.

The Bills meanwhile are a B- team in a B- league which means they need to get to B to have a chance to win the conf and B+ to have a shot at an NCAA at large bid....these next 6 games would be a good time to make our move.

12 minutes ago, almaman said:

I'm moving Houston to "I'll be amazed" if we beat list.

Houston is really beating up on Oregon, up by 19 at the half.

Our defense will keep us in the game.

Oregon State dropped 101 on Missouri State and they are 5-1

Again the best part about our team is our depth in our scorers. 

If you were studying the Bills to play against them you might think to try to shut out Bess, however he simply just scores so much because he has excellent shot selection and effeciency, rather than taking risky shots. But players like Wiley, Goodwin, French, Foreman and Isabell can put up 20 point games. Hard to scout honestly 

Butler was defeated as soon as they benched their scorer after 3 fouls 

10 hours ago, wgstl said:

Thor has a insta story of him in a hospital bed, anyone have news about this?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">SLU guard Ingvi Gudmundsson had surgery to have his appendix removed Friday night. He had missed practice Thursday and Friday.</p>&mdash; stu durando (@studurando) <a href="https://twitter.com/studurando/status/1068979881550258177?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 1, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Travis Ford said that Ingvi Gudmundsson was doing so well after Friday night surgery to have his appendix removed that he showed up at Chaifetz Arena for Saturday&#39;s game. His mother was traveling from Iceland to see him.</p>&mdash; stu durando (@studurando) <a href="https://twitter.com/studurando/status/1069077106519351296?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 2, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A good win yesterday, but one I thought was likely - big crowd, team would be fired up, plus I think we're simply more athletic and talented than Butler. I think the next three games will really tell whether or not this turns out to be a successful non-conference portion of the schedule - I define "successful" as putting us in a solid position to earn an automatic bid. The A-10 is not that great this year, so not a lot of great resume builders and some potential bad losses.

I think there is a BIG difference between having 3 non-conference losses and 4. So assuming, that we'll likely lose to FSU (although a victory is within the realm of possibility) that only leaves one more loss to get out of it with three. Oregon State should be a win, although if we revert back to some of the Troy and North Alabama nonsense, it will be tough. I like to think we're past that. Houston after that, they looked extremely tough for most of the game against a ranked Oregon. Again, easy game for them to get up for against a ranked team. Considering the way they worked us over last year, maybe they take us a bit lightly - STILL, I put this in the lean loss category.

That brings us to the next game against Methdale. Are we more talented than Methdale, yes, BUT in some ways I view this as a tougher game than Butler. We have to go on the road mid-week, after a big home victory. There is a possibility for a letdown. Methdale is a veteran team. They figure to be fired up for us. I consider this a VERY big game in determining if this turns out to be a good non-conference season.

13 minutes ago, ACE said:

A good win yesterday, but one I thought was likely - big crowd, team would be fired up, plus I think we're simply more athletic and talented than Butler. I think the next three games will really tell whether or not this turns out to be a successful non-conference portion of the schedule - I define "successful" as putting us in a solid position to earn an automatic bid. The A-10 is not that great this year, so not a lot of great resume builders and some potential bad losses.

I think there is a BIG difference between having 3 non-conference losses and 4. So assuming, that we'll likely lose to FSU (although a victory is within the realm of possibility) that only leaves one more loss to get out of it with three. Oregon State should be a win, although if we revert back to some of the Troy and North Alabama nonsense, it will be tough. I like to think we're past that. Houston after that, they looked extremely tough for most of the game against a ranked Oregon. Again, easy game for them to get up for against a ranked team. Considering the way they worked us over last year, maybe they take us a bit lightly - STILL, I put this in the lean loss category.

That brings us to the next game against Methdale. Are we more talented than Methdale, yes, BUT in some ways I view this as a tougher game than Butler. We have to go on the road mid-week, after a big home victory. There is a possibility for a letdown. Methdale is a veteran team. They figure to be fired up for us. I consider this a VERY big game in determining if this turns out to be a good non-conference season.

Agree with this. Methdale loss and the butler victory high is over 

11 hours ago, ACE said:

In my opinion, blowing the game against Pitt made Methdale a must win game.

almaman likes this