• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-CFord was on 101.1 FastLane, here are some notes I took 

- CFord things going well, undefeated

-I don't know the guys on the show other than Randy Karraker and someone asked about the shattered backboard and CFord said got a lot of publicity over that and we have backups in case it happens again

-was asked about having freak athletes – CFord said we have improved athleticism but also have players with skill and can play aggressive style (CFord might have said aggressive more than any other word in this interview)

-was asked how long to find out what you have? CFord this will take a while as don’t know roles;  8,9,10 new guys to bring in, need to get to a common mentality on how hard and how aggressive we want to play, let’s play aggressive, still thinking about what to do and need to get to playing

-was asked about HF and said he looks terrific, leading rebounder, scoring well, improves every day, expanding his game as he has help with CAG, DJF and EW, HF will take guys 1 on 1 from perimeter

-about jump from frosh to soph and CFord said it is hard but jump to frosh is too as compete level versus high school so much higher in D1, might only have to go at 70% in high school as bigger or better than the rest and that won't do it now in D1

-was told predicted to win a lot and how to focus on process? CFord said have had to address this, says done nothing to prove we deserve to be picked first as last season didn’t warrant this, understands team has improved with new players, mindset must be we must earn everything

-asked about CAG and his role with LS gone and CFord said doing great, very coachable, plays with high motor and aggressive all the time, role not changed with LS gone, always expected to make a big impact, roller coaster as a frosh with new experience,will play a lot of minutes, repeated expects CAG to make a big impact

-RK asked about $99 season ticket deal and CFord said unbelievable price, good teams coming to play us, CFord knew the ph# for tickets

-asked about schedule and teams that will be a good test and CFord said have a challenging schedule, SIU best team for them in 15-20 yrs, FSU top 10, will be tested in every single manner, with so many new guys going slow in practice, non-con has to prepare us for A10, we must be better at the end of season than at beginning

-asked about A10 and CFord said top to bottom best it has been in his 3 yrs, last year was top heavy with RI and StB, not as top heavy this season, mentioned SLU, StJ is great, Davidson returns all but one, Mason returns all 5 starters plus UVA transfer, mentioned VCU and SVU, RI good recruits, very balanced league,  teams 1 thru 10 very balanced where in past had different levels 

-asked who has impressed in practice? CFord said EW doing a terrific job, get him to stay healthy, KCH shooting well, DJ doing well and getting better but EW played a lot in CF’s first yr and we expect a lot out of him this season

Most encouraging fact = Welmer, he’s the X factor especially with Santos gone. Great summary, thank you!

18 hours ago, Aquinas said:

Nice to hear good things about Welmer. Did he say anything about the transfer guards?

Coach did not mention Tremaine, Dion, Ingvi, Brandon nor Jack in this interview. He has discussed Tremaine and Dion at length in other interviews.

Two common themes in recent interviews, 1) He is worried about team dynamics and chemistry, particularly early in the season.  He repeated in this interview how slow they are having to go in practice.  Coach says it will take time for this team to gell.   2) He again mentioned that this team has done nothing and doesn't deserve the high preseason praise they are receiving. 

26 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach did not mention Tremaine, Dion, Ingvi, Brandon nor Jack in this interview. He has discussed Tremaine and Dion at length in other interviews.

Two common themes in recent interviews, 1) He is worried about team dynamics and chemistry, particularly early in the season.  He repeated in this interview how slow they are having to go in practice.  Coach says it will take time for this team to gell.   2) He again mentioned that this team has done nothing and doesn't deserve the high preseason praise they are receiving. 

Here's hoping talent will out in all the games we're supposed to win in the OOC. However, against teams like SH, Butler, FSU, and Houston talent alone may not be enough as they will either match ours or exceed it. That said, he started basically a new team last year against a hot VT team and we beat them. Of course, the following night we looked lost against Providence. Other games where we had problems but maybe shouldn't have would have been Mercy and W. Michigan. Some of this is probably coach speak on his part, but there's probably more than an kernel of truth in it as well. All coaches say players that don't have to do much thinking about position, schemes, and technique but instead rely on instinct and familiarity w/ their teammates are the easiest to coach. See Dead's two years w/ Rick's boys. They didn't need him except to not screw up travel arrangements.

15 hours ago, slu72 said:

All coaches say players that don't have to do much thinking about position, schemes, and technique but instead rely on instinct and familiarity w/ their teammates are the easiest to coach.

You have hit on a key issue.  These guys aren't familiar with their teammates - in the concepts of what Coach Ford wants.  This isn't rec ball or open practice anymore.

44 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Interesting analysis:

Senior guard Javon Bess (13.3 points per game, 7.4 rebounds per game last year) is one of the most dangerous ball-handlers in the conference.

Bess is much more of a finisher than a ball-handler.

But it's nice to see another first-place projection for the Billikens.

EDIT: Oh, and I guess the author didn't get the memo that Jalen Johnson left the program.

With Thor's brother as the X factor for the entire A10, are we seriously overlooking our own Icelander? I know it was hard to find info on him from Iceland but is there a comparison of him and his brother senior year of High School? Could be a big sleeper.

Jacobs and Dion tend to be overlooked as well. I think if we didn't have Tremaine we would be a lot more hyped on Dion and if we didn't have Thatch we would feel the same about Jacobs.

I think in 2019-20 we will have a very solid roster even with 4+ of our top 10 players leaving next year. I also think that will keep current players who don't play much this year from transferring since they know they will absolutely get more playing time in 2019 (Jacobs, Thatch, Hankton, Thor)

We are so deep this year that I could wager we could still lock down top 3 in the A10 without Goodwin, Gordon and Dion. We were also 1 good player short of being #2 last year.

My hype for this season can't be expressed enough, we will be a bully like a Gonzaga in the West Coast or Loyola in the Valley this year. Less than 2 weeks before tip off

3 hours ago, Brighton said:

Disrespect not having JGood in consideration for POY, I'm guessing he didn't want two of our players to make his list

Billikid likes this

2 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

With Thor's brother as the X factor for the entire A10, are we seriously overlooking our own Icelander? I know it was hard to find info on him from Iceland but is there a comparison of him and his brother senior year of High School? Could be a big sleeper.

Jacobs and Dion tend to be overlooked as well. I think if we didn't have Tremaine we would be a lot more hyped on Dion and if we didn't have Thatch we would feel the same about Jacobs.

I think in 2019-20 we will have a very solid roster even with 4+ of our top 10 players leaving next year. I also think that will keep current players who don't play much this year from transferring since they know they will absolutely get more playing time in 2019 (Jacobs, Thatch, Hankton, Thor)

We are so deep this year that I could wager we could still lock down top 3 in the A10 without Goodwin, Gordon and Dion. We were also 1 good player short of being #2 last year.

My hype for this season can't be expressed enough, we will be a bully like a Gonzaga in the West Coast or Loyola in the Valley this year. Less than 2 weeks before tip off

No, Thor will be a relative non factor this year.

Box and Won likes this

3 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

There's drinking the blue kool aid, but I think you're smoking the blue crack pipe. 

Looking at teams ranked 25-16 in the SB poll, it would seem they'll rank GM, St Joes, and Davidson ahead of us. We know Zaga, Nevada, and Loyola are locks to land in the top 14, so that leaves 11 spots. Those will likely be filled by schools from the "high" mid major conferences, basically the A10 and MWC. 

On 10/14/2018 at 5:01 PM, Glorydays2013 said:

If we lost Goodwin, Gordon and Wiley, we would have 9 scholarship players.  You really want to do that again?

24 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Look at the average star ranking for our team. If there was a chart of the average stars for the A10 we would literally be off the chart

http://verbalcommits.com/conferences/atlantic-10

This is the worst post of all your bad post.