2018-19 season

Just curious why one of the three mods haven't moved much of this thread to an OT :  Food  thread?  I go to this topic to read about Billiken basketball not pizza or wings reviews.  Sorry for being old school.

Nothing against good food, but it just deserves its own thread!

Edited by bauman

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, bauman said:

Just curious why one of the three mods haven't moved much of this thread to an OT :  Food  thread?  I go to this topic to read about Billiken basketball not pizza or wings reviews.  Sorry for being old school.

+1...here are preseason predictions from some key people in the media who cover A10:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/blog/dayton-flyers/predictions-roundup-saint-louis-favored-most/dyxqhoKhCG8wJHmef84fBN/

CBFan likes this

38 minutes ago, bauman said:

I agree with you, but I've been too busy to take on that cleanup project.  Care to volunteer to become a moderator so you could do it?

23 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

+1...here are preseason predictions from some key people in the media who cover A10:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/blog/dayton-flyers/predictions-roundup-saint-louis-favored-most/dyxqhoKhCG8wJHmef84fBN/

Thank you for the link.

If our entire team stays whole all season it will be a fun season with lots of depth and match up options.

Adding the two guard grad transfers got us experience and depth at the guard position.

44 minutes ago, bauman said:

giphy.gif

Billiken Rich likes this

30 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

-is there a site or other reference to see if these folks have good history in their predictions/prognostications?  the one person, I'll refrain from name calling, has us 3rd, clearly not going to be the case, and Rothstein has GMason 5th, their worst guess and VCU ranges from 3rd to 9th, 3rd seems way too high for them

35 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Jablonski picked us to win the league BEFORE Isabell committed.... the rest of the league is SCREWED

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I love the fact that some random Dayton fan was allowed to pick us third.

Other than that fan, we made a clean sweep.  Let's hope the season goes as smoothly.  Nice that we play single games against two of the higher rated teams, Davidson and GMU, at Chaifetz.

24 minutes ago, bauman said:

Other than that fan, we made a clean sweep.  Let's hope the season goes as smoothly.  Nice that we play single games against two of the higher rated teams, Davidson and GMU, at Chaifetz.

-I get your point, but on #SelectionSunday (#SS) beating them at their place would help our seeding as it looks like at St Joe's will be our best conf road win, but since we are going to wallop everyone regardless of where we play 'em, it won't much matter, we can only beat who the A10 tells us to beat in conference and where

-and just to throw it out there, the A10 tourney returns to Barclay's Center in Brooklyn for 2019 per an Andy Katz article on espn.com

3 hours ago, bauman said:

Nice that we play single games against two of the higher rated teams, Davidson and GMU, at Chaifetz.

3 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-I get your point, but on #SelectionSunday (#SS) beating them at their place would help our seeding as it looks like at St Joe's will be our best conf road win, but since we are going to wallop everyone regardless of where we play 'em, it won't much matter, we can only beat who the A10 tells us to beat in conference and where

I will be watching the innovative CUSA schedule this upcoming season, and see how it might (have) translated to A10.  CUSA is playing each school once, with two for a travel partner for the first 14 games.  Then they take the top 5 teams and have them play each other for 4 more games.  6-10 and 11-14 do the same.  So in essence, if we had the same format, we could play Dayton (assumed our travel partner) twice, and then GMU, Davidson, St. Joe and another, dumping repeat games in particular with LaSalle and Duquesne.  Yeah, we might play Dayton three times if they were in the top 5 (and maybe again in the A10 tourney), but that wouldn't be the worse thing to happen.  This revamp of the scheduling system could give teams a nice boast in the rankings.

An issue I see is if teams tie for 5/6 and 10/11.  You are kind of screwed if you loose the tiebreaker.  If you are 11-14, you have to play a fellow tier team twice, but so what if you are in the bottom third.  Let Fordham and LaSalle play each other 18 times.

If we take care of business in OOC and win the conference, we will be ok when it comes to seeding.  The committee can talk all it wants about teir one and two victories, but at the end of the day if you rack up road/neutral site wins against the ACC, Big East and a top program in the AAC the committee will pay more attention to those than a road win at GMU.

16 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

To be honest, I'm a little surprised that so many media members are picking us first. On one hand, I was hoping we'd have a chance to fly a little bit under the radar and I worry about the burden of expectations. On the other hand, it's great to see this attention and positivity after several seasons in the wilderness. But on paper, we're still a little bit of a risky pick because of how little these guys have played together. Only four returners, all of whom were new players last season. Also, the Dayton fan in the above link isn't the only one more bearish on us; there's a Mason guy who agrees (A10 Talk seems to like/retweet him a lot):

I don't agree that we'll be an "atrocious" 3-point shooting team. We were an atrocious shooting team last year. I agree that outside shooting is a concern and we're counting on a few guys who are relatively high-volume perimeter shooters to take a leap in their percentages, if not necessarily volume, but I think he's taking one of the potential knocks on us and overdoing it. Still, we don't necessarily need to live and die with the 3-ball. This team is so much bigger and more physical than most of the league, and that will go a long way.

12 minutes ago, Pistol said:

To be honest, I'm a little surprised that so many media members are picking us first. On one hand, I was hoping we'd have a chance to fly a little bit under the radar and I worry about the burden of expectations. On the other hand, it's great to see this attention and positivity after several seasons in the wilderness. But on paper, we're still a little bit of a risky pick because of how little these guys have played together. Only four returners, all of whom were new players last season. Also, the Dayton fan in the above link isn't the only one more bearish on us; there's a Mason guy who agrees (A10 Talk seems to like/retweet him a lot):

I don't agree that we'll be an "atrocious" 3-point shooting team. We were an atrocious shooting team last year. I agree that outside shooting is a concern and we're counting on a few guys who are relatively high-volume perimeter shooters to take a leap in their percentages, if not necessarily volume, but I think he's taking one of the potential knocks on us and overdoing it. Still, we don't necessarily need to live and die with the 3-ball. This team is so much bigger and more physical than most of the league, and that will go a long way.

"petey buckets"?   wants us to take him serious? .........petey buckets............if that is not the name of a 40 year old living in his mother's basement i dont know what would be. 

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

"petey buckets"?   wants us to take him serious? .........petey buckets............if that is not the name of a 40 year old living in his mother's basement i dont know what would be. 

Hey, I'm not saying he's getting a job at The Athletic anytime soon. Just that he pops up in my Twitter feed from time to time.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

-this and I hope we will improve our 3pt defense a bit, our 3pt shooting should improve, too

54 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It's amazing how much better you can shoot from three when teams have to be concerned about your post game. We should have a lot of wide open looks this year. Additionally, we should be a top 10 team this year in ft attempts. I'm more concerned about how we shoot them.

RamJAMTIME likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Hey Petey, we won the conference shooting 31.6% from the 3 in 2014, 

38 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-this and I hope we will improve our 3pt defense a bit, our 3pt shooting should improve, too

1 minute ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

It's amazing how much better you can shoot from three when teams have to be concerned about your post game. We should have a lot of wide open looks this year. Additionally, we should be a top 10 team this year in ft attempts. I'm more concerned about how we shoot them.

Isabell shot .340 from 3 last season, averaging 1.8/5.3 per game.

Wiley shot .367, going 1.3/3.5.

Bess: .270, 0.7/2.7.

Goodwin: .235, 0.7/3.1.

We add Hankton, Gudmundsson, Thatch, and Jacobs as the other guys who'll shoot it from the perimeter (with the occasional big man 3).

So yeah, on paper, this is not a good perimeter shooting team. When you combine the above makes and attempts, the four veterans would make 4.5/14.6 per game, for .308.

However, I'm counting on all four of those guys to show improvement from there, and the four freshmen to get some good looks. Defenses could pack it in on us last year and not give Goodwin as much room to operate. With a shortened roster, we had tired legs, especially as the season wore on. Goodwin had that unreal early-season cold streak.

Isabell will not have the usage rate he did at Drexel. He's a dynamic player but hopefully he doesn't feel the need to shoot it as much as he did there, and if he's more patient with his looks, I'd look for that .340 to go up a couple percent. I know Wiley sees himself as more than a shooter, which is kind of the role he fell into at Maryland, and that he can also let the looks come to him.

We talked earlier this week about how Ford has only had one team above .350 from three, and I think that is a reasonable goal. Bess and Goodwin can't be below .300 again, Isabell and Wiley should both be above .350, and here's hoping the freshmen can emerge as shooting threats.

This is the one area where Johnson is a tough loss.

brianstl, slufanskip and Zink like this