2018-19 season

3 hours ago, Box and Won said:

A few underrated spots: Ami's in Rock Hill, Twin Oak in Brentwood/Richmond Heights/Whatever, Guido's on The Hill, Onesto in Southampton.  

I need to try Hugo's by SLU and Pizza Head on Grand.  One of my friends raves about Pizzeoli in Soulard.  I also want to try Monte Bello in Lemay.  It's in what appears to be a house.

Excellent list Box. Guido's pizza is highly underrated! Ami's can get a tad greasy for me but it's good. Forgot about Onesto's but it's great.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

You thought it sucked?  They came in 2nd at the Pizza championship 4 years in a row.

As a Buffalo Bills fan this hurt.  It made me laugh...but it still stung.

1 hour ago, SShoe said:

Not sure if there is one close to you, but I always really liked Mio's.  

Mio's is a good local chain. There is one close to me but it's the college one so it's pretty dumpy and not kid-friendly. The one over in Anderson now has its own brewery inside.

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

I learned last week that Buffalo has its own style of pizza.  And it sucks.

Not familiar with Buffalo style. Have you ever had Detroit style? It's been a recent subject of conversation among some friends here after one guy just moved to Ann Arbor.

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Not familiar with Buffalo style. Have you ever had Detroit style? It's been a recent subject of conversation among some friends here after one guy just moved to Ann Arbor.

Yeah, I like it.  Next door to my office is Gerard Craft's fast-casual pasta restaurant called Porano - which is unfortunately closing at the end of the month - and they serve Detroit-style pizza.  It's good.

20 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Yeah, I like it.  Next door to my office is Gerard Craft's fast-casual pasta restaurant called Porano - which is unfortunately closing at the end of the month - and they serve Detroit-style pizza.  It's good.

Closing? I thought they were just shifting to a different concept.

Just now, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Closing? I thought they were just shifting to a different concept.

They shifted a couple weeks ago and announced this week they are closing entirely. Concept was not a good fit for downtown crowds.

55 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Have you ever had Detroit style? It's been a recent subject of conversation among some friends here after one guy just moved to Ann Arbor.

I am sure there are some great local spots in Detroit, but my experience in Chicago was rather "meh."  (http://unionpizza.com/).  The dough to sauce/toppings ratio was way off and it was relatively expensive.  Also, none of the components really stuck out.

Also also, Quad Cities takes the cake for weirdest regional style. 

Typically I've found if a pizza place is downright rude to their customers, then their pizza must be the best.  Blackthorn has the best pizza, I absolutely hate going there.  Pizza a go go, Monte Bella, and BJ's in my old NOCO stomping grounds are rude enough to make your experience their unpleasant but not enough that you won't go back next week.  Pizza head and the place by blues city are also nice.

1 minute ago, thetorch said:

Typically I've found if a pizza place is downright rude to their customers, then their pizza must be the best.  Blackthorn has the best pizza, I absolutely hate going there.  Pizza a go go, Monte Bella, and BJ's in my old NOCO stomping grounds are rude enough to make your experience their unpleasant but not enough that you won't go back next week.  Pizza head and the place by blues city are also nice.

BJs just throws theirs on a cafeteria tray and gives you one ply toilet paper as napkins, but God Damn it's good.

44 minutes ago, LindellWest said:

Minskys (the south plaza one) was always pretty good, but its been a while since I've lived in KC.

Thanks! I live in Lenexa but work a block away from south plaza. I've been to the Lawrence location of Minsky's and thought it was good. Would love additional suggestions if anyone has them!!