2018-19 season

As I noted in my first post: not drawing any conclusions about anything from one viewing.

Pistol - no set 5v5 groupings today. Lots of different combos.

I am fairly comfortable in stating:

The depth of very athletic bigs is unreal for a non-power 5 program.

Goodwin and Bess are damn good and are clearly the leaders of the group.

Coach considers the size/strength/depth of this roster to be a major team strength. They know that they're gonna be able to wear opponents down and that they need to play in a manner that does so.

Consistent outside shooting still a question. If they find that.....scary good.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Neighbor Dave said:

Thatch as advertised.  Big & strong for a frosh.  

Jacobs is thin.  The size of the rest of the guys really makes him look small (both height and bulk).  But very athletic and showed a nice jumper today.

Jacobs is a two star per Verbal Commits.  Certain MBM's - not mentioning names - aren't excited about him as his recruiting rank is too low.  Me, I'm all in on Mr. Jacobs. I don’t care how many stars he has. 

3 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Not sure if it's cool or not, I just don't find their pizza to be good. At all. Obviously lots of people do though.

Great, now I want pizza....

At the risk of getting in trouble for deviation: Best pizza in St. Louis is_______________

... made at my house on Saturday nights by yours truly.  I'm working on perfecting five different types of crusts right now, with my take on a sourdough crust  my favorite at the moment- my sourdough starter is about 7 years old right now and really tangy.  I'm using a five cheese blend now that I really like.  While it's a lot of work, there's nothing better than eating what you make yourself.

4 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Not sure if it's cool or not, I just don't find their pizza to be good. At all. Obviously lots of people do though.

At the risk of getting in trouble for deviation: Best pizza in St. Louis is_______________

Pi Pizzeria

2 hours ago, Band Legend said:

... made at my house on Saturday nights by yours truly.  I'm working on perfecting five different types of crusts right now, with my take on a sourdough crust  my favorite at the moment- my sourdough starter is about 7 years old right now and really tangy.  I'm using a five cheese blend now that I really like.  While it's a lot of work, there's nothing better than eating what you make yourself.

When the crust matches perfectly the toppings on the pizza, this dish is transformed from a mundane food into something extraordinary. Good for you, hope your experiments are crowned with success. 

11 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Pizza-a-go-go

brianstl likes this

A few underrated spots: Ami's in Rock Hill, Twin Oak in Brentwood/Richmond Heights/Whatever, Guido's on The Hill, Onesto in Southampton.  

I need to try Hugo's by SLU and Pizza Head on Grand.  One of my friends raves about Pizzeoli in Soulard.  I also want to try Monte Bello in Lemay.  It's in what appears to be a house.

SLU_Lax likes this

1 minute ago, RiseAndGrind said:

La Rosa’s

No.

The pizza chains here are a huge step down from STL. The one-off places can't compete with places like Box and Won mentions above, either. At least not that I've found. We have some good ones - Taft's new spot has New Haven-style apizza, there are a few good NY-style places, and Adriatico's has become our nearby reliable spot - but overall, STL has Cincy beat on pizza by a long shot.

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

A few underrated spots: Ami's in Rock Hill, Twin Oak in Brentwood/Richmond Heights/Whatever, Guido's on The Hill, Onesto in Southampton.  

I need to try Hugo's by SLU and Pizza Head on Grand.  One of my friends raves about Pizzeoli in Soulard.  I also want to try Monte Bello in Lemay.  It's in what appears to be a house.

I'll 2nd Ami's, Guido's, and Onesto's all very good.

I categorize the chains and the locals differently. Chains are quicker and cheaper and sometimes that's what I want. Of the chains my favorite is Papa Murphy. I know you have to bake it but it's worth the effort as imo it's much better than the other chains. 

30 minutes ago, Pistol said:

No.

The pizza chains here are a huge step down from STL. The one-off places can't compete with places like Box and Won mentions above, either. At least not that I've found. We have some good ones - Taft's new spot has New Haven-style apizza, there are a few good NY-style places, and Adriatico's has become our nearby reliable spot - but overall, STL has Cincy beat on pizza by a long shot.

My list:

Felix's 

Pizza Head

Blackthorn (if I don't want to do anything the rest of the night)

Pi (deep dish only)

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

Ami's in my opinion is the best.

My sentimental favorite (although not the best pizza) is the taco pizza from Happy Joe's.

59 minutes ago, Pistol said:

No.

I learned last week that Buffalo has its own style of pizza.  And it sucks.

16 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I learned last week that Buffalo has its own style of pizza.  And it sucks.

You thought it sucked?  They came in 2nd at the Pizza championship 4 years in a row.

philliken likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

No.

Not sure if there is one close to you, but I always really liked Mio's.  

18 hours ago, hoppybeer said:

There's a special place in my heart for the crumbly sausage pizza at Racanelli's.

@gobillsgoRacanelli's isn't bad but if you're looking for a New York slice, the FIRST place you look is La Pizza. @DirtyRican is right on the money.

DirtyRican likes this