2018-19 season

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I swear, im growing more confident by the week that the season opener will have 7,700+

I really HOPE you are right, but with the poor media coverage we receive, I think the kool-aid is being consumed ONLY by Billiken.com Board members.  The only way I think we hit 7700+ for our home opener is if all Board members bring 50 friends.  I do think the Columbia P-D will have no choice but to increase its coverage of the Bills as the season progresses-same with the radio and tv outlets.  At this point even Rammer fails to talk much about Billiken MBB and our tv coverage is limited to FC (Ch 5) and MK (Ch 2)  I am sick of listening to 101 ESPN, (the station that broadcasts our games) especially K Wheeler, cover college BB like there is only one team in town and they are 120 miles west.  I do think we will average 8000+ for all home games.

Edited by bauman

10 minutes ago, bauman said:

I really HOPE you are right, but with the poor media coverage we receive, I think the kool-aid is being consumed ONLY by Billiken.com Board members.  The only way I think we hit 7700+ for our home opener is if all Board members bring 50 friends.  I do think the Columbia P-D will have no choice but to increase its coverage of the Bills as the season progresses-same with the radio and tv outlets.  At this point even Rammer fails to talk much about Billiken MBB and our tv coverage is limited to FC (Ch 5) and MK (Ch 2)  I am sick of listening to 101 ESPN, (the station that broadcasts our games) especially K Wheeler, cover college BB like there is only one team in town and they are 120 miles west.  I do think we will average 8000+ for all home games.

I certainly don't track local media as closely as some on this board, but I have seen a decent number of stories/reports on Billiken basketball considering it is the middle of the summer. It seems like the local media is taking notice and is well aware of what Ford is building at SLU. Honest question, what college basketball programs are receiving considerable media attention this time of year?

21 minutes ago, bauman said:

a few of my mizzou friends who dont follow a lick of SLU basketball know SLU is going to be really special this year.  I'd like to think theres a few more like them.

Cards being awful should help.

I wish theres was a way to follow season ticket numbers. like to see what the change has been good or bad(s2).  Blues should be pretty good, only problem.

50 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I wish theres was a way to follow season ticket numbers. like to see what the change has been good or bad(s2).

Anyone know whether that is something that the athletic department typically releases (obviously now would not be the time to release that data, but asking in general)?

14 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Anyone know whether that is something that the athletic department typically releases (obviously now would not be the time to release that data, but asking in general)?

You could probably just call up the ticket office. I’m sure an intern would just tell you  how many are sold. I just called yesterday and upgraded my tickets. They offered me a 30 dollar add on for two tickets to the WBB game against UCONN

TheChosenOne likes this

28 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You could probably just call up the ticket office. I’m sure an intern would just tell you  how many are sold. I just called yesterday and upgraded my tickets. They offered me a 30 dollar add on for two tickets to the WBB game against UCONN

hmmmmm i bet you could make some $$$ off those UCONN tix.....

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You could probably just call up the ticket office. I’m sure an intern would just tell you  how many are sold. I just called yesterday and upgraded my tickets. They offered me a 30 dollar add on for the WBB game against UCONN

I would think that the interns would be instructed to not release info like that.

It is too early  to know much of anything regarding number of season tickets sold.  Only indication at this point would be additional season tickets sold to existing season ticket holders. The true test of "new" interest will be once season tickets are opened up to new subscribers.

Finally, a good indication of interest will be how well the blue seats are utilized.  With some time on my hands the last month or so, I watched a few games from last year that I had recorded.  It struck me how poorly those expensive seats were utilized and frankly, on tv it is a sign of poor fan support.  If you can't get people to come to games that they (or their company) have already paid for then you have work to do.  I know there are some tough hurdles to get over in making sure those seats are filled but somehow the Ath Dept needs to come up with a solution. I know I would be willing to pay extra for a few games to sit in one of those seats which would generate additional AD revenue while solving the appearance of vacant premium seats on tv or when recruits are in the building.  Even all the award shows (Oscars, Emmys, Tonys) know the importance of never having an open premium seat, using fill ins to sit in the seats temporarily vacated by performing stars.

8 minutes ago, bauman said:

I would think that the interns would be instructed to not release info like that.

I would think that they wouldn't tweet out a pic of the suspended players with the team for the first time all year right before kicking them out of school.

I would think that they wouldn't tweet out a video of Goodwin when he moved back in only to delete it shortly after when a bunch of people quoted and retweeted it.

I have a lot more examples of people at SLU not thinking but don't want to get too far into reliving Situation 2.  That isn't a shot at Bauman because I agree with what you said, it would make sense for them to be instructed not to do it but if there is one thing I feel confident in, there aren't many people that think in charge at SLU right now. 

6 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

I would think that they wouldn't tweet out a pic of the suspended players with the team for the first time all year right before kicking them out of school.

I would think that they wouldn't tweet out a video of Goodwin when he moved back in only to delete it shortly after when a bunch of people quoted and retweeted it.

I have a lot more examples of people at SLU not thinking but don't want to get too far into reliving Situation 2.  That isn't a shot at Bauman because I agree with what you said, it would make sense for them to be instructed not to do it but if there is one thing I feel confident in, there aren't many people that think in charge at SLU right now. 

But they do read this Board!!!!

11 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Don't think it worked. LOL.

doesnt appear mike is excelling in writing and english classes at duquesne. 

4 minutes ago, HenryB said:

What excites me most is the depth behind that group.

Wow, what a starting 5 and I agree with you about the depth.

I believe the 7 remaining scholarship players (DW, FT, DJ, IG, KH, LS and DJF-again I don't think EW will play much, if at all) could have started, and in some cases been a star, for the last couple of Crews teams.

29 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I think this is probably right:

The only possible change I see is Gordon coming off the bench and either Santos or Foreman getting the nod.  Otherwise, right on the money and scary good.

4 minutes ago, bauman said:

Wow, what a starting 5 and I agree with you about the depth.

I believe the 7 remaining scholarship players (DW, FT, DJ, IG, KH, LS and DJF-again I don't think EW will play much, if at all) could have started, and in some cases been a star, for the last couple of Crews teams.

Whoever spends the most time on the bench this season would have been the star on those teams.

3 minutes ago, SShoe said:

The only possible change I see is Gordon coming off the bench and either Santos or Foreman getting the nod.  Otherwise, right on the money and scary good.

CAG didnt come to SLU to ride pine. Starts from day one

JohnnyJumpUp likes this