2018-19 season

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

I think you could probably make a reasonable argument that in terms of talent and depth, we have a top 20 front court in the nation. 

Top 10, possibly top 5.  How many teams will have 4 better 4s and 5s than us?

Just persuing preseason top 25 lists I see a few loaded frontcourt teams like Gonzaga, Duke, North Carolina, but most play 4 out offenses.  We have 4 P5 starter level bigs on our roster.  Once again there are only a handful of teams with that much depth in the frontcourt.

Brighton likes this

7 hours ago, thetorch said:

Just persuing preseason top 25 lists I see a few loaded frontcourt teams like Gonzaga, Duke, North Carolina, but most play 4 out offenses.  We have 4 P5 starter level bigs on our roster.  Once again there are only a handful of teams with that much depth in the frontcourt.

Most of us have been ruling out Wellmer because of his chronic foot problems. Not sure how his feet would take the pounding of actual game play. However, if he's indeed healthy, we might have a top 10 front court as he adds another dimension to our bigs, ie the ability to step outside and hit the 3. No doubt we have 4 bangers in Foreman, French, Santos, and Gordon. Not sure if they are the NBA caliber of the front lines of say UK, UNC, or any of the elites. But add  a 6'9" guy who's proved he can defend on the inside and can also step outside to be a long ball threat that's a pretty strong front line. Wellmer won't be needed for 20 mpg given our other 4 inside players, so his foot condition might not be that big a roadblock. If he can give us say 7-10 mpg and still has his 3 pt touch, well, we've got another Big Weapon that will cause match up difficulties.

HenryB and Billikid like this

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

We have a top 15 frontcourt in the country. My only qualm with that is that guards win championships. Still though, I think our backcourt is outstanding. 

Our best overall player and our likely best scorer/creator are guards, so we should be just fine.

7 hours ago, slu72 said:

Most of us have been ruling out Wellmer because of his chronic foot problems. Not sure how his feet would take the pounding of actual game play. However, if he's indeed healthy, we might have a top 10 front court as he adds another dimension to our bigs, ie the ability to step outside and hit the 3. No doubt we have 4 bangers in Foreman, French, Santos, and Gordon. Not sure if they are the NBA caliber of the front lines of say UK, UNC, or any of the elites. But add  a 6'9" guy who's proved he can defend on the inside and can also step outside to be a long ball threat that's a pretty strong front line. Wellmer won't be needed for 20 mpg given our other 4 inside players, so his foot condition might not be that big a roadblock. If he can give us say 7-10 mpg and still has his 3 pt touch, well, we've got another Big Weapon that will cause match up difficulties.

Agreed. Seems like the only known stretch 4 threat. If healthy he could valuable in being a big who can also create the lane space Goodwin needs with his outside threats. 

I just saw a blurb in Midmajormadness, an Eastern focused website, that picked the 5 best players in the A-10 this upcoming season.  Guess who the one Billiken to make that team is?  Not French, not Goodwin, not Bess but T Isabell!  Man, if he is that good, we should be able to runaway with the A-10.

2 minutes ago, bauman said:

I just saw a blurb in Midmajormadness, an Eastern focused website, that picked the 5 best players in the A-10 this upcoming season.  Guess who the one Billiken to make that team is?  Not French, not Goodwin, not Bess but T Isabell!  Man, if he is that good, we should be able to runaway with the A-10.

Barring catastrophe, we are undoubtedly going to run away with the A10...

18 minutes ago, Billikid said:

Agreed. Seems like the only known stretch 4 threat. If healthy he could valuable in being a big who can also create the lane space Goodwin needs with his outside threats. 

You are forgetting that Ford said French can shoot the 3. I did see French at a practice while screwing around make 4 or 5 in a row. Yes I know this is a guy who can't shoot free throws. Just saying. 

Billikid likes this

3 minutes ago, willie said:

You are forgetting that Ford said French can shoot the 3. I did see French at a practice while screwing around make 4 or 5 in a row. Yes I know this is a guy who can't shoot free throws. Just saying. 

I would love to be pleasantly surprised by this, I'm a big fan of that Reggie Agbeko range ;) You best believe if French is making it rain from deep I'll have his flag waving around more than Les Mis. 

19 hours ago, thetorch said:

Top 10, possibly top 5.  How many teams will have 4 better 4s and 5s than us?

Wow, scorching hot take. I am going to need to see Gordon and Santos play before going there. I will say, that is some really quality depth in the post, I just don't know that the top end talent is there to say they are a top 10 possibly 5 group. Although when I think about French and the idea of him getting bigger/stronger/faster and I gotta say all bets are off.

HoosierPal and juniorbill76 like this

2 hours ago, bauman said:

Just looked up what you’re talking about -

Grady, Pipkins, Cunningham, Isabell, Golden

Id take Grady in a heartbeat, but I don’t think the other three would start for us. I don’t think Golden would even be our fourth big.

I’m not sure I understand why outsiders are underrating Bess. Best two-way player in the league.

2 hours ago, willie said:

-everyone will shoot the 3.......and make them.......we will be awesome! 

5 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Wow, scorching hot take. I am going to need to see Gordon and Santos play before going there. I will say, that is some really quality depth in the post, I just don't know that the top end talent is there to say they are a top 10 possibly 5 group. Although when I think about French and the idea of him getting bigger/stronger/faster and I gotta say all bets are off.

Name 10 other teams that have 4 of the top 150 big men in the country?  We may have a top 25-35 player (or two) so not as much high end talent but few have our high level depth.

2 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

I've been told that Jacobs is tearing it up so far in the summer workouts. The statement was "that he can score from anywhere".

-good to hear, let's hope it translates to games, unlike similar statements we have had about many prior Billikens who were not able to achieve that translation