2018-19 season

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, brianstl said:

I won't.  We have big match up advantage over every team in the A10 when it comes to our bigs.  We need to take advantage of it.  I am looking forward to seeing four bigs go at when they are on the court not having to worry about fouling out or preserving energy.

I have mixed feelings about this. Playing with three frontcourt players will not be good for our offense. Any competent coach would just pack it in against us and double everything in the paint. It would mean that we aren’t getting any shooting from our backcourt guys and decided to just give up on that and play bully-ball. It might be an option to fall back on when our shot isn’t falling, but I don’t want any of Santos/Gordon/French/Foreman playing more than spot minutes at the 3-position. 

5 hours ago, brianstl said:

The job Foreman did last season defending along the perimeter when he rotated onto a wing, was a pleasant surprise.  Gordon was really good at that on the high school level, too.  

I liked him in that position too. A 1-3-1 zone as I recall. He caused havoc out there because of his reach. Gordon's probably quicker and he'd be a load in that position.

32 minutes ago, Zink said:

I have mixed feelings about this. Playing with three frontcourt players will not be good for our offense. Any competent coach would just pack it in against us and double everything in the paint. It would mean that we aren’t getting any shooting from our backcourt guys and decided to just give up on that and play bully-ball. It might be an option to fall back on when our shot isn’t falling, but I don’t want any of Santos/Gordon/French/Foreman playing more than spot minutes at the 3-position. 

Yeah  but we can beef it up when we meet those big ten teams in March............

1 hour ago, slubillikens43 said:

FIBA range. In between NCAA and NBA

The distance from the basket to the three-point line varies by competition level: in the National Basketball Association (NBA) the arc is 23 feet 9 inches from the basket; in FIBA the arc is 22 feet 1 34 inches from the basket; and in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) the arc is 20 feet 9 inches from the basket.

1 hour ago, Zink said:

If Coach really believes his Gordon-Mashburn comps he will definitely be experimenting with him at the 3 

HenryB likes this

1 hour ago, Zink said:

-remember, everyone will be a 3pt shooter.....maker is tbd

26 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

If Coach really believes his Gordon-Mashburn comps he will definitely be experimenting with him at the 3 

If Gordon can shoot 35% from three, then sign me up! Honestly shooting even like 30% is ok from a big if they’re only shooting one or two a game to keep the defense honest. Just haven’t seen that from any of them... yet. Gordon and French, and maybe even Foreman, have the athletic ability to match up with most wings so if they can shoot it well enough that’d be amazing. 

majerus mojo likes this

6 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Something is wrong in this paragraph of the article.

In addition to his international experience, Gudmundsson competes with the Grindavik basketball club, which plays in the Icelandic Domino's League, the top league in Iceland. He is coming off a season in which he played all 25 games and averaged 10.9 ppg, 3.9 rpg and 3.5 apg. Gudmundsson shot 51.6 percent (47-91) from the field and 80 percent (32-40) from the free-throw line.

25 games at 10.9 ppg is 272.5 points.  Even if ALL of Ingvi's field goals are three pointers, this doesn't add up.  47 x 3 =141 points. Add 32 FT to this and you get 173 points, far from 272.  

Iceland Math

5 hours ago, slu72 said:

I liked him in that position too. A 1-3-1 zone as I recall. He caused havoc out there because of his reach. Gordon's probably quicker and he'd be a load in that position.

A. We don’t use the H-word here, Shaka

B. What matters most is that all 5 of our guys on the court can slam dunk.

11 hours ago, Pistol said:

To add to the "starting is for high school" quote from Majerus, I don't totally agree with that - starting does matter - but if he had said "earning your starting spot is for high school", that's more accurate. If a college coach won't start a freshman "until he has earned it" as a matter of principle, he won't last because he's not recruiting strong enough talent.

Funny i had this same arguement last year this time but everyone here had to tell me about Majerus’ quote 

Earning your starting position is not for high school it is for college and pros I think was meant to say.  If earning your starting position is only for high school then in college or the pros you don't have to earn anything?  I am not sure that is what was meant.  A coach  should never give a starting position out without a player having shown that they are ready for it. Do so will only cause your failure.  The problem is the coach has to be honest with himself and not have bias.

Majerus got to say things that no one else got to say because he's Majerus. They only make sense because he is one of the greatest basketball minds to ever grace any court. Its as simple as that. 

3 hours ago, Basketbill said:

1)  it is not starting, it is minutes....

See Glaze, Grandy and Cody Ellis during the 2012-13 season.  Glaze started 20 out of 25 games played, but only averaged 12 minutes per game.  He was 5th in games started, but 9th in mpg.  Ellis didn't start any games, but averaged over 26 mpg (5th on the team).

Now, you could probably argue Ellis should have just started over Glaze and Jim Crews is an awful coach.  It seemed to work for that team though because Ellis & Jett would usually sub on at the same time.  Starting Glaze over Ellis allowed the for more balanced outside shooting since Jett wasn't an outside shooter.