2018-19 season

2 minutes ago, willie said:

Don't be shocked if we have 3 bigs on the court at the same time depending on the matchup. 

I won't.  We have big match up advantage over every team in the A10 when it comes to our bigs.  We need to take advantage of it.  I am looking forward to seeing four bigs go at when they are on the court not having to worry about fouling out or preserving energy.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, brianstl said:

I won't.  We have big match up advantage over every team in the A10 when it comes to our bigs.  We need to take advantage of it.  I am looking forward to seeing four bigs go at when they are on the court not having to worry about fouling out or preserving energy.

This is what’s really important. There’s not gonna be that drop off like last year when Hasahn picks up two fouls. 

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

i think with the athleticism of our bigs overall this is indeed very possible.   i could see gordon (and likekly foreman) being able to keep up with a small forward on defense.   i dont necessarily like them 20 feet from the basket on offense, but i wouldnt be scared of limited trips down the floor defensively with foreman and gordon manning that spot.  

The job Foreman did last season defending along the perimeter when he rotated onto a wing, was a pleasant surprise.  Gordon was really good at that on the high school level, too.  

46 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I love that we treat these minute-long preseason practice videos like the Zapruder Film.

For any Jacobs doubters based on those 4 seconds of him you've now seen, I assure you he's fine. Plenty more video out there if you're interested to see what his game looks like. He's good.

He also doesn't need to physically look like one of our forwards right now. He's a freshman guard; they're a pack of goddamn werewolves.

By the way, when the forward I'm least hyped for right now is a downhill scorer who posted a .626 FG percentage last season, you know things in our frontcourt are going to be good.

We have been searching for “a second shooter” as we look through Zapruder lenses. 

49 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The job Foreman did last season defending along the perimeter when he rotated onto a wing, was a pleasant surprise.  Gordon was really good at that on the high school level, too.  

Yeah, Gordon can really move his feet. Guys like Gordon and French can really get up and down the court, it is going to be fun to watch those guys run with Goodwin and Isabell.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i think with the athleticism of our bigs overall this is indeed very possible.   i could see gordon (and likekly foreman) being able to keep up with a small forward on defense.   i dont necessarily like them 20 feet from the basket on offense, but i wouldnt be scared of limited trips down the floor defensively with foreman and gordon manning that spot.  

French has tremendous feet and lateral movement.  I think he could keep up with many wings on the perimeter if he needed to.

I hesitate to bring up this name, but I think French could guard wings better than JJ (and I thought JJ was fine at it).

I think he really created problems for guards driving to the basket because they did not expect him to move laterally as well as he did and I think that led to many of his blocks (and altered shots) simply because the guards were not expecting to not be able to get by French or create some separation.

10 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

But that would mean either bess, Goodwin or Isabel isn’t starting 

willie said nothing about starting 3 bigs.

13 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

But that would mean either bess, Goodwin or Isabel isn’t starting 

Do you ever pause and look at what you are about to post?

Do you look again at the post your commenting on and make sure you understand it?

It was never about starting just matchups.

3 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Yep. Also I’d bet a lot of money on Gordon starting game 1. You can throw out all the “have to earn it, starting is for HS” coach speak you want, but this kid doesn’t come to SLU to come off the bench 

Exactly.

We had the exact same argument a year ago when a few people were saying that Goodwin had to "earn his starting spot" first and I was blue in the face telling people dude didn't come to SLU to come off the bench. (The "earn your spot" argument has always been lame to me; isn't that what these guys have spent their entire youth/HS basketball careers doing? If a guy is a top-60 national recruit, he has already earned it.)

Gordon is a starter, just like Goodwin was going to be a starter all along.

To add to the "starting is for high school" quote from Majerus, I don't totally agree with that - starting does matter - but if he had said "earning your starting spot is for high school", that's more accurate. If a college coach won't start a freshman "until he has earned it" as a matter of principle, he won't last because he's not recruiting strong enough talent.

billiken_roy likes this

Nice little article linked there. He'll be on campus in August. The FIBA Euro Championship that he's playing in goes through July 22nd, so I guess he's going to head back home for a week or two and get everything in order before heading over here.

20 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Nice little article linked there. He'll be on campus in August. The FIBA Euro Championship that he's playing in goes through July 22nd, so I guess he's going to head back home for a week or two and get everything in order before heading over here.

Something is wrong in this paragraph of the article.

In addition to his international experience, Gudmundsson competes with the Grindavik basketball club, which plays in the Icelandic Domino's League, the top league in Iceland. He is coming off a season in which he played all 25 games and averaged 10.9 ppg, 3.9 rpg and 3.5 apg. Gudmundsson shot 51.6 percent (47-91) from the field and 80 percent (32-40) from the free-throw line.

25 games at 10.9 ppg is 272.5 points.  Even if ALL of Ingvi's field goals are three pointers, this doesn't add up.  47 x 3 =141 points. Add 32 FT to this and you get 173 points, far from 272.  

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Something is wrong in this paragraph of the article.

In addition to his international experience, Gudmundsson competes with the Grindavik basketball club, which plays in the Icelandic Domino's League, the top league in Iceland. He is coming off a season in which he played all 25 games and averaged 10.9 ppg, 3.9 rpg and 3.5 apg. Gudmundsson shot 51.6 percent (47-91) from the field and 80 percent (32-40) from the free-throw line.

25 games at 10.9 ppg is 272.5 points.  Even if ALL of Ingvi's field goals are three pointers, this doesn't add up.  47 x 3 =141 points. Add 32 FT to this and you get 173 points, far from 272.  

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Ingvi-Thor-Gudmundsson/Summary/70934

He was 96-251 from the field (.382), 49-160 from 3 (.306), and 32-40 from the line (.800). That was good for 273 points on the season, so the 10.9 average is correct, as are the 3.9 RPG and 3.5 APG. I'm not sure where they got the .516 or the 47-91 from, but it's incorrect. The rest is correct.

HoosierPal likes this

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

He was 96-251 from the field (.382), 49-160 from 3 (.306), and 32-40 from the line (.800). That was good for 273 points on the season, so the 10.9 average is correct, as are the 3.9 RPG and 3.5 APG. I'm not sure where they got the .516 or the 47-91 from, but it's incorrect. The rest is correct.

30% ain’t great...

7 minutes ago, Pistol said:

That was his 2 pt fg shooting

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Exactly.

We had the exact same argument a year ago when a few people were saying that Goodwin had to "earn his starting spot" first and I was blue in the face telling people dude didn't come to SLU to come off the bench. (The "earn your spot" argument has always been lame to me; isn't that what these guys have spent their entire youth/HS basketball careers doing? If a guy is a top-60 national recruit, he has already earned it.)

Gordon is a starter, just like Goodwin was going to be a starter all along.

My hesitation isn’t/wasn’t about “earning” it, but more about him having to beat out a solid upperclassman (santos) or a stud soph (French).