2018-19 season

Just now, juniorbill76 said:

Chemistry is more than getting along. It's knowing the strengths and proclivities of your teammates, when they're going to zig and not zag, helping each other be in the best position for success.

sounds like S3

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/9/2018 at 3:52 PM, bauman said:

Love to see the big guys banging into each other.  When, if ever, have we had 4 guys that size with their ability?

Love to see this, I know this is old school, but it plays into that "are guys are sick of hitting each other" mentality going into the season. They'll be bloodthirsty come November. 

2 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

He also didn’t dunk. I’m concerned.

I think I could identify Jacobs in the clip posted (the shirts had no numbers and there is no picture in the roster). If this kid was Jacobs, it was his first practice at SLU and he looked nervous. He did one run, one shot, and the ball went in. No dunks, nothing fancy. I think it is too early to get concerned about him, let him get relaxed practicing with the  team and then we will see. 

slufanskip likes this

37 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I think I could identify Jacobs in the clip posted (the shirts had no numbers and there is no picture in the roster). If this kid was Jacobs, it was his first practice at SLU and he looked nervous. He did one run, one shot, and the ball went in. No dunks, nothing fancy. I think it is too early to get concerned about him, let him get relaxed practicing with the  team and then we will see. 

baxter-cain-baseketball-gif-disgust.gif

On 7/9/2018 at 4:13 PM, cheeseman said:

Gordon did not look at all intimidated with French or Foreman.

BenFred shared a little in his chat yesterday:

"Here's something: I would not be surprised if Carte'Are Gordon starts the season opener. Talked to someone who attended a recent workout and said there is some really good, competitive work going on in the low post. French and Santos are physical, and Gordon has not skipped a beat. Maybe he works his way over Santos, which is saying something, because the team really likes Santos. The Billikens are more athletic than they have been in some time. Stronger, too. I'd expect Jordan Goodwin to play a lot less PG this year, with the addition of grad transfer Isabell. That should facilitate Goodwin's scoring."

8 hours ago, Old guy said:

Good point. You should never make career assumptions about an incoming freshman until they've had double digit practice hours with the team. Once they've spent at least 10 hours on the court with their team mates you can probably make good career assessments

DirtyRican likes this

2 hours ago, HenryB said:

"Here's something: I would not be surprised if Carte'Are Gordon starts the season opener. Talked to someone who attended a recent workout and said there is some really good, competitive work going on in the low post. French and Santos are physical, and Gordon has not skipped a beat. Maybe he works his way over Santos, which is saying something, because the team really likes Santos. The Billikens are more athletic than they have been in some time. Stronger, too. I'd expect Jordan Goodwin to play a lot less PG this year, with the addition of grad transfer Isabell. That should facilitate Goodwin's scoring."

need more than a towel 

2 hours ago, HenryB said:

I think this says more about how good Santos can be, than it does about Gordon.  We all knew Gordon was going to be really good. 

HenryB likes this

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think this says more about how good Santos can be, than it does about Gordon.  We all knew Gordon was going to be really good. 

for me, this says a lot about Gordon's focus early on, which was going to be a big question mark.  Skill was always there, but he was notorious for being lazy, about himself. 

NextYearBill likes this

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

for me, this says a lot about Gordon's focus early on, which was going to be a big question mark.  Skill was always there, but he was notorious for being lazy, about himself. 

I not buying the lazy thing, at least when it comes to the last 24 months.  You don't go from a undefined chubby 16 year old to the to the muscular build Gordon has now by being lazy about yourself. That is a result of putting many hard hours into yourself.

TheDude and Pistol like this

I love that we treat these minute-long preseason practice videos like the Zapruder Film.

For any Jacobs doubters based on those 4 seconds of him you've now seen, I assure you he's fine. Plenty more video out there if you're interested to see what his game looks like. He's good.

He also doesn't need to physically look like one of our forwards right now. He's a freshman guard; they're a pack of goddamn werewolves.

By the way, when the forward I'm least hyped for right now is a downhill scorer who posted a .626 FG percentage last season, you know things in our frontcourt are going to be good.

RIP HUMPS and Billiken Rich like this

39 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Yep. Also I’d bet a lot of money on Gordon starting game 1. You can throw out all the “have to earn it, starting is for HS” coach speak you want, but this kid doesn’t come to SLU to come off the bench 

AGB91 likes this

20 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I not buying the lazy thing, at least when it comes to the last 24 months.  You don't go from a undefined chubby 16 year old to the to the muscular build Gordon has now by being lazy about yourself. That is a result of putting many hard hours into yourself.

In practice, he was lazy.  This info comes from those who help with the WG team. 

You can be lazy in practice and still transform your body.  Two totally different things. 

4 minutes ago, willie said:

Don't be shocked if we have 3 bigs on the court at the same time depending on the matchup. 

Especially if Carte’are handles the ball as well as I think he can. I think he will play some 3/wing for very short stretches to start. 

3 minutes ago, willie said:

Don't be shocked if we have 3 bigs on the court at the same time depending on the matchup. 

That might just shock our opponent.  Just envision French, Santos and Gordon on the floor at the same time.  Hide the women and children!!!

6 minutes ago, willie said:

i think with the athleticism of our bigs overall this is indeed very possible.   i could see gordon (and likekly foreman) being able to keep up with a small forward on defense.   i dont necessarily like them 20 feet from the basket on offense, but i wouldnt be scared of limited trips down the floor defensively with foreman and gordon manning that spot.  

HenryB likes this