2018-19 season

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

The other interesting thing I found from the interview is that he first mentioned Thatch as a top 3 point threat. Said that Thatch is going to play a lot of minutes and make a big impact in the league. If Thatch has developed a consistent outside shot he is going to be an absolute nightmare. Think Jordair - but better...maybe?

The second coming of Jett would be terrific if that is the type of player Fred Thatch turns out to be how awesome is that?

In all the years of watching college basketball I do not recall seeing other players like Jett.  I think Jett is very unique.

Happy Friday

Remember all the TO's for Jett early on in his  career?  We only remember the  awesome drives and game winning shots.  It was hard the first 2 years.  

I  love the  pre season, everyone's FT's are going in, no turnovers,  dumb freshman fouls.  Let's temper our enthusiasm.  The first few weeks will be interesting.

mhg

billiken_roy likes this

2 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

How is it an overreaction? I think it is bull**** that he made the comment. Isabell still needs to graduate, jacobs still has some academic issues, Wiley isn't even on campus, Thor is still in Iceland  -- yet the only comment that was hedged was about Gordon?

Frank's comment was a positive in my eyes.  If it is BS in your's, so be it.  Overreaction if you ask me. You disagree.  Go ahead and bash Frank.  All is good. 

58 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Frank's comment was a positive in my eyes.  If it is BS in your's, so be it.  Overreaction if you ask me. You disagree.  Go ahead and bash Frank.  All is good. 

I’m not bashing Frank. I’m saying Frank’s comment was inappropriate. I still like Frank. 

3 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

Remember all the TO's for Jett early on in his  career?  We only remember the  awesome drives and game winning shots.  It was hard the first 2 years.  

I  love the  pre season, everyone's FT's are going in, no turnovers,  dumb freshman fouls.  Let's temper our enthusiasm.  The first few weeks will be interesting.

mhg

I disagree with the first two year comment please see attached.

Jett had more TO's in his last season 2013-14.  Jett average 7.5 points his freshman year and 6.4 his sophomore year.

You don't score an accumulated 1239 points in two good season unless your name is Larry Hughes had he stayed another year.

What I remember is great defense timely scoring and maximum effort in all 4 years to go along with those great drives.

I hope our freshman have the same type of career.

jetstats.PNG.705cb0b151972440304d518284f73fe6.PNG

16 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I disagree with the first two year comment please see attached.

Jett had more TO's in his last season 2013-14.  Jett average 7.5 points his freshman year and 6.4 his sophomore year.

You don't score an accumulated 1239 points in two good season unless your name is Larry Hughes had he stayed another year.

What I remember is great defense timely scoring and maximum effort in all 4 years to go along with those great drives.

I hope our freshman have the same type of career.

jetstats.PNG.705cb0b151972440304d518284f73fe6.PNG

He had more total turnovers his senior year, but he had the most turnovers per minute played his freshman year.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I think because there's been such a long period since his verbal commitment (October 2016) and there has been so much noise in terms of rumors and media and whatnot since then, we've mostly forgotten what a HUGE F-ING DEAL it is that Carte'Are Gordon is at SLU.

His boy Tyler is right. All he's done is win. He's arguably the most talented player we've landed since Larry Hughes, and I think only Goodwin is the other one with a potential claim in there.

Even the most rabid SLU fans seem to put a caveat before every half-positive statement about CG these days. "Well, that highlight video only showed dunks. Kinda one dimensional." "That two-week suspension has me a little nervous." "There's a lot of noise on Twitter, I'm not so sure about this." And then Frank's statement yesterday.

Come on.

He's on campus and he's already working out. A guy he's close enough with to be featured next to him in his Twitter profile picture just said he's finna turn SLU up, and I tend to agree with him. CG is the real deal. I'm going to set aside any apprehensions or perpetually beaten down SLU fan nervousness and go all in on this one.

+1000

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I think because there's been such a long period since his verbal commitment (October 2016) and there has been so much noise in terms of rumors and media and whatnot since then, we've mostly forgotten what a HUGE F-ING DEAL it is that Carte'Are Gordon is at SLU.

His boy Tyler is right. All he's done is win. He's arguably the most talented player we've landed since Larry Hughes, and I think only Goodwin is the other one with a potential claim in there.

Even the most rabid SLU fans seem to put a caveat before every half-positive statement about CG these days. "Well, that highlight video only showed dunks. Kinda one dimensional." "That two-week suspension has me a little nervous." "There's a lot of noise on Twitter, I'm not so sure about this." And then Frank's statement yesterday.

Come on.

He's on campus and he's already working out. A guy he's close enough with to be featured next to him in his Twitter profile picture just said he's finna turn SLU up, and I tend to agree with him. CG is the real deal. I'm going to set aside any apprehensions or perpetually beaten down SLU fan nervousness and go all in on this one.

-THANK YOU PISTOL!!!!!!

21 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Come on.

He has amazing footwork for someone his size.

29 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Come on.

I'm finna need a towel.

31 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Come on.

Great post.  And people have been betting against him his whole life and he's eventually proved them wrong. Let's do it again. Sweet SIXTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

I mean, let's just do the thing. Here's our boy:

If the above video is too limited for you, enjoy this:

RARE FOOTAGE from when he was a young lad:

Highlights from a game in his shortened junior season:

BONUS FRED THATCH CONTENT:

Zink likes this

43 minutes ago, slusam said:

He has amazing footwork for someone his size.

His footwork is indeed outstanding. His all-around skill set is superb for a power forward. It's probably best seen in the second video I posted above. He runs the floor - and not just getting up and down but he handles the ball all the way down the floor before finding an open teammate or just finishing himself. And he's a great finisher who can do it with either hand, in traffic, and through contact. He can face up and he's also good with his back to the basket. He's dangerous out of the high post and his passing is super underrated. He can hit a mid-range jumper. His instincts are sharp. And of course he does those big man things like rebounding and blocking shots, making some of the opposing players victims in those videos above look like middle schoolers. (Seriously, if you're only going to watch one of those videos, make it the second one. That was in the Bass Pro ToC against really strong competition. His arsenal is on full display.)

He started out as one of the top big-man prospects in the country as a freshman and sophomore. But he didn't really grow any taller so his hype slowed a bit, he sat out two half seasons, and he totally transformed his body and sharpened and expanded his already-high level skill set, knowing that his competition in college isn't going to look like his competition in HS. And in the meantime he won two state championships. He's ready to eat.

TheOne and TheDude like this

I've never slept on Gordon but it does seem like we are hyping up every other player but him. 

SLU hasn't had a player sniff the NBA draft since Mo Jeffers.  Gordon will be a 1st round pick and have an NBA career barring injury.  That is his floor on day one.  We have not had a recruit this good since Hughes.  

This will be the most talented SLU squad since the 11-12 team and the most talented player is a freshman, Carteare Gordon.

TheOne likes this

2 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I've never slept on Gordon but it does seem like we are hyping up every other player but him. 

SLU hasn't had a player sniff the league since Mo Jeffers.  Gordon will be a 1st round pick and have an NBA career barring injury.  That is his floor on day one.  We have not had a recruit this good since Hughes.  

This will be the most talented SLU squad since the 11-12 team and the most talented player is a freshman, Carteare Gordon.

That's why the last Post Disgrace story about the "new look" Billikens was such crap.  I've been hoping and praying and dancing a jig to get to this point with Carteare on campus.  Having said all that, I'm hoping the casual fans sleep on the Bills this year so I can upgrade those tix one more time before we blow the roof off of the 'Fetz...... 

46 minutes ago, thetorch said:

SLU hasn't had a player sniff the league since Mo Jeffers.  Gordon will be a 1st round pick and have an NBA career barring injury.  That is his floor on day one.  We have not had a recruit this good since Hughes.  

Meet me at Applebee's; Imma rise and grind and serve you some fried ice cream!

--signed, Willie Reed

8 hours ago, Pistol said:

Come on.

Thank you for this post.  The Gordon saga has pissed me off and Gordon himself has nothing to do with.  Gordon has been nothing but 100% SLU.  At times I thought some of our fans sounded like the bitter fans of the programs that missed landing Gordon.  Instead of defending the kid, it seemed they wanted to parrot the talk on Tigerboard. That is not how you treat family and Gordon is family.

He is going to dominate right away.  The A10 rarely has big men with his skill set. Our front court is going to be something the A10 has never seen before and Gordon will be the best member of that group.