2018-19 season

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, bauman said:

Completely agree with you regarding the flexibility of this team.  With regard to your question, I would define a wing as Bess and "Bess clones."  A wing in my mind should be the ultimate "flexibility" player.  Able to rebound, shoot reasonably well from mid-range out,  including the 3 pt area.  Able to guard the opposing team's wing.  Have good handles with the ball.  In other words---J Bess!

On our team I would get to the definition of a wing by exclusion.  Santos, Foreman, French and Gordon= Bigs or 4/5s;  Jacobs, Wiley, Isabell,  Thatch, Thor and Goodwin = Guards or 1/2s.  I think Gordon,  Thatch, Thor and Goodwin could possibly play the wing for short periods of time.

That leaves Bess, Welmer, and Hankton as our primary "Wings."  While Welmer can rebound and shoot, I am concerned about his ability to guard opposing Wings and handle the ball, especially when facing a press. Hankton is still a guess as to being ready this year and might need to spend some serious time in the weight room this year.

What the above does point out is that your description of the team is spot on and that we have multiple options as to who is on the floor at any given time. 

No longer hard to be a Billiken fan.

Was Jett a wing?

39 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It’s negative and defeatist. Being a billiken fan has never been and will never be work for me. Every franchise/school has its problems, so what? Stop complaining about things being bad and move on. 

I didn't come up with the phrase, "It's hard work to be a Billikens fan," and I'm not sure whether I've used it.  (If I have, it's been a while.)  But I don't think those who coined it or who use it fit your interpretation of it.  First of all, "hard work" is not, in and of itself, negative.  ("Success is 10 percent inspiration and 90 percent perspiration.")  What they're saying, as I interpret it, is that fans of the Billikens have been a longsuffering bunch, but the rewards are sure to come.  It's not a complaint, but an encouragement to see and enjoy the fruits of our labor, just around the corner.

3 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I didn't come up with the phrase, "It's hard work to be a Billikens fan," and I'm not sure whether I've used it.  (If I have, it's been a while.)  But I don't think those who coined it or who use it fit your interpretation of it.  First of all, "hard work" is not, in and of itself, negative.  ("Success is 10 percent inspiration and 90 percent perspiration.")  What they're saying, as I interpret it, is that fans of the Billikens have been a longsuffering bunch, but the rewards are sure to come.  It's not a complaint, but an encouragement to see and enjoy the fruits of our labor, just around the corner.

the original composer of "it's hard work being a billiken fan" was/is nekillibtseug who i consider a good friend.   he is a long time billiken fan/booster/ticketholder, (probably longer than 05 has been alive) and knows more about the billikens than all of us combined.   in no way do i consider him a negative fan.  he is a realist that recognized early on that the challenges of dealing with the ups and downs of a program like the billikens can take a lot of patience and composure.   but i cant for the likes of me see where one would consider the phrase negative.   

43 minutes ago, almaman said:

Was Jett a wing?

Everybody has their own answer to your question.  In my opinion, no.  He was a guard with many of the same skills (and shortcomings) as Goodwin.  Both Jett and JG had/ have some unique skills for a guard (driving the lane and rebounding), but at least in the case of Jett I think he was too small to be considered a Wing,  and did not shoot well enough from the perimeter.  Also, while i don't have any specific recollections, I don't recall JJ being able to defend 6'4"-6'7"  Wing opponents, something I think Goodwin could do for short periods of a game.

Having said all that, I'm not sure what your question and my reply have to do with the topic of this thread.

34 minutes ago, bauman said:

Everybody has their own answer to your question.  In my opinion, no.  He was a guard with many of the same skills (and shortcomings) as Goodwin.  Both Jett and JG had/ have some unique skills for a guard (driving the lane and rebounding), but at least in the case of Jett I think he was too small to be considered a Wing,  and did not shoot well enough from the perimeter.  Also, while i don't have any specific recollections, I don't recall JJ being able to defend 6'4"-6'7"  Wing opponents, something I think Goodwin could do for short periods of a game.

Having said all that, I'm not sure what your question and my reply have to do with the topic of this thread.

Separate issue....could an admin correct the spelling on the title of this thread?....this is not a Mizzou Board.  

mhg

1 hour ago, Billikenbooster said:

Separate issue....could an admin correct the spelling on the title of this thread?....this is not a Mizzou Board.  

mhg

I thought about it, but opted not to.  But I will now, because you asked.  (I'm not sure, though, that billikens.com posters are any less susceptible to typos than those on Mizzou fan boards.)

For future reference though, if anyone wants to edit the title of his or her thread, it's doable.  On a computer, hover the mouse over the title; a popup should say, "Click and hold to edit title."  Follow those instructions, and a text field should appear allowing you to edit the title.  I do not know if anything similar works on a touch-enabled device.

In this thread about this coming season we were talking about different positions and when discussing one player he was referred to as a wing. i was trying to ascertain what the poster meant as a wing. To me it means a 3 which when playing small would be a guard. My question inferred that I thought Jett played like a wing when we had 3 guards in the lineup. This did not seem to need a new thread as it was related post in the thread.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

the original composer of "it's hard work being a billiken fan" was/is nekillibtseug who i consider a good friend.   he is a long time billiken fan/booster/ticketholder, (probably longer than 05 has been alive) and knows more about the billikens than all of us combined.   in no way do i consider him a negative fan.  he is a realist that recognized early on that the challenges of dealing with the ups and downs of a program like the billikens can take a lot of patience and composure.   but i cant for the likes of me see where one would consider the phrase negative.   

Just for the record, his user name was @tseugnekillib.

1 hour ago, Billikenbooster said:

mhg

38 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Yeah, it's driving me nuts.

I will admit to not having noticed the error until Wednesday, after four full days of it being up. I chalk it up to my excitment about this coming sseason.

slufan13 likes this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I'm impressed you could spell the whole thing backward. Whatever happened to him. He was a solid poster.

i wouldnt doubt if he isnt back with a different name.    he still goes to all the games.   i talk to him when i see him.   great great guy.  

17 hours ago, Randy said:

What defines a "wing" in your opinion? Because this team is ultra flexible in terms of virtually every position, and they can run athlete after athlete out on that court and they would all jive in a reasonable manner. There is no set formula or "wing" requirement. This team's greatest strength is that it has a massive amount of players who can match up at multiple positions. They can go big. They can go small. They can go rough. They can go lean & mean. 

The A-10 won't have an answer.

A wing is a 3, or a 3 guard.  Ideally a player with enough range to hit an open 3, enough speed to cover a guard. Enough muscle to post up, enough height to help rotate and defend the post. Enough ball handling to help break a press. Minimum height is like 6'4.  Bess fits the bill, though a little lite as a 3 point shooter (though improving) and a little high on turnovers. Jett was more of a driving 2 guard with who was a rather weak shooter away from the basket (not sure what Wiz shooting score he had), who flourished in part because we had bigs who stretched the floor, opening lanes to the basket. His speed and power made him tough to guard one on one.

10 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Did Old guy hack your account?

TFord and TRavs likes this

3 hours ago, Major Majerus said:

In response to Bauman, I don't expect a press to be a threat against this team - bring it on.

Wow, talk about taking a short phrase out of context.  I also DO NOT think we will have any problem with presses this year.  In the post you pulled my "press" comment out of, I listed 6 players who I thought would have no problem handling the ball against a press.  My only reference to breaking a press was a comment about Welmer not being able to do that part of a Wing's responsibilities.